Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'd say this page sums up a good deal of my issues

In what way is any of this honestly different than what Bruce already does?

Just because you aren't fighting a supervillain, doesn't disqualify it from being superhero stuff.

Really laying in thick the whole "embittered former Batman sidekicks" character bit they seem to be going for here.

At least they're acknowledging "what if Bruce Wayne used his money wisely?" is totally overused.

Mighty Member

Only a matter of time before the team runs into some criminal mastermind like a Luthor who wants to exploit whatever discoveries they find or confronted by government bureaucracies from some one like a Amanda Waller whose goal is the same reason.

Skimming through a number of reviews - some of these reviewers seem to have read a very different Kate to me judging by their takes on her past Bat-Family appearances and solos.

Since when was she kicked-out of the Bat-Family? She was temporarily at odds with some of them during the Tynion 'Tec run years ago, but these days they seem to get along fine. So I don't get all the mentions of her being ex-Bat-Family, or the "outsider" of the Bat-Family (I thought that was Jason's niche anyway), or all the mentions her being at odds with Bruce. As far as I'm aware the cousins have been getting along fine lately. I gather this new series really wants to make Kate and Luke at odds with Bruce for some reason though.

Well, I'm not in a hurry to read it, which is a pity since it's been a long time since either of these characters have been used.

Fantastic Member

I read the first issue. Artwork wasn't bad, and the story has an intriguing set up, but I think the problem was resolved too easily, or so it seems. I like Luke Fox, and he's the main reason I picked up this book, and I was glad to see he is Batwing or has the suit still (I recall they were experimenting with giving him a new identity in the Harley Quinn books). I'm not really sure the premise fits the Outsiders. I've never read the Challengers of the Unknown series (but they almost say that title in the first issue), and it just feels like it would be a better fit for what Luke and Kate are doing in this series based on the tile alone. I have no feelings really regarding Drummer. I have never read Planetary so the nods to that didn't do anything for me. I'm glad they have decided to attempt to do something with Luke, but I still don't think they've figured out what to do with him yet. I was also glad that Jace got mentioned.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Skimming through a number of reviews - some of these reviewers seem to have read a very different Kate to me judging by their takes on her past Bat-Family appearances and solos.

Since when was she kicked-out of the Bat-Family? She was temporarily at odds with some of them during the Tynion 'Tec run years ago, but these days they seem to get along fine. So I don't get all the mentions of her being ex-Bat-Family, or the "outsider" of the Bat-Family (I thought that was Jason's niche anyway), or all the mentions her being at odds with Bruce. As far as I'm aware the cousins have been getting along fine lately. I gather this new series really wants to make Kate and Luke at odds with Bruce for some reason though.

Well, I'm not in a hurry to read it, which is a pity since it's been a long time since either of these characters have been used.
    I'm been speaking with some people and their argument about all this is that Kate wants nothing to do with the mess in Gotham War and to paraphrase "completely okay to want to escape Bruce's toxic abusive bullshit".

The thing I'm getting is that Gotham War sucks and Kate and Luke have a right to not be hampered by being in Bruce's inner circle, at least thats what I'm getting.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I can't be the only person to wonder why in the world this book wouldn't also be a good place

to have Flamebird or current ID join.
    I would like to see Bette Kane and even Tim Drake in this series preferably without costumes though
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm not really sure why they didn't just call it Planetary. At first I thought it might be a rights thing and they were just using the concept, then I heard they were creating a new Drummer...and now after reading the issue it ends with Drummer uncovering the Planetary guide so it definitely seems like it's not that they can't use the name and logo.

As for the plot itself? Definitely not as explosive as the original Planetary, this had way too much exposition for my liking, but I do like Lanzing and Kelly so I'm willing to give it a shot.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I passed on it. Surface level it doesn't seem like an Outsiders team I'm interested in but I could be wrong a few issues in, we shall see. I'll just be skimming to see though.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not really sure why they didn't just call it Planetary. At first I thought it might be a rights thing and they were just using the concept, then I heard they were creating a new Drummer...and now after reading the issue it ends with Drummer uncovering the Planetary guide so it definitely seems like it's not that they can't use the name and logo.

As for the plot itself? Definitely not as explosive as the original Planetary, this had way too much exposition for my liking, but I do like Lanzing and Kelly so I'm willing to give it a shot.
    They think Outsiders have more brand recognition due to being associated with Batman and thus will sell more. DC has no confidence in the name "Planetary" to sell comics.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'd say this page sums up a good deal of my issues

In what way is any of this honestly different than what Bruce already does?

Just because you aren't fighting a supervillain, doesn't disqualify it from being superhero stuff.

Really laying in thick the whole "embittered former Batman sidekicks" character bit they seem to be going for here.
    It's so cringey when writers address internet discourse in their comics. Its lazy and dumb.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Read it liked it more than I thought I did but if you followed the Authority or Planetary you would understand that there's a mystery or two brewing just seeing the Carrier & the Planetary Guide sparks a few
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Reading this I'm even more confused as to the Outsider's branding. If you're using Planetary concepts, themes and even looks/personalities then why not go all they way and name it New Planetary?

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Reading this I'm even more confused as to the Outsider's branding. If you're using Planetary concepts, themes and even looks/personalities then why not go all they way and name it New Planetary?
    They don't want to be that obvious about it ?

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    My guess - it's all about the Bat-Branding. Like others have said Outsiders is more recognizably linked to Batman. Plus, the two leads are linked to Batman, and while we don't know how often Luke will be suited-up as Batwing, Kate seems to be frequently suited-up as Batwoman.

So you get that Bat-logo front and center on the cover art, plus throughout the actual issues, there's no escaping the Bat-Brand in this.