Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Captain Atom Armageddon is a better read than this, and that book was basically Atom schooling the entire Wildstorm universe on what it means to be a real hero.

All things considered its most likely just a thing with Lanzing and Kelly specifically. From what I recall this book is essentially their baby, something they really wanted to do so a lot of the flaws here is squarely on their ability as writers.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 03-10-2024 at 12:19 PM.

I just read #2-4 over the weekend and I've got to say I'm enjoying this book. I don't think it will last too much longer but I plan on enjoying while I can.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I just read #2-4 over the weekend and I've got to say I'm enjoying this book. I don't think it will last too much longer but I plan on enjoying while I can.
    The series is almost at the halfway point - it's a 12 issue limited. Yeah, I'm entertained enough to keep going with it, but it's not exactly a quality take on the characters.

Anyway, I'm posting the preview for #5 here:

So, I hope all these villains don't now know that Kate and Luke are Batwoman and Batwing. But this series seems unconcerned with secret identities, so I guess it would have no lasting effect.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

There is a huge irony that for how critical this series is of superheroes, the actual stars here are completely ineffectual and reduced to just yelling out threats while a bunch of monsters engage in the sadistic mass murder of innocents without any form of consequence.

Luke especially is pretty much a joke here, manipulated for the protection of his life cause otherwise he would have died on his own.

I feel like Kelly and Lanzing want you to think they're writing a smarter, more creative, more intellecual book than they actually are.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    There is a huge irony that for how critical this series is of superheroes, the actual stars here are completely ineffectual and reduced to just yelling out threats while a bunch of monsters engage in the sadistic mass murder of innocents without any form of consequence.

Luke especially is pretty much a joke here, manipulated for the protection of his life cause otherwise he would have died on his own.
    To be fair, they did state that all the monster encounters were willing/consensual but yeah, still kinda dumb

Okay, so this whole party invitation was because spoilers:
    Nocturna wanted to show off her baby to Kate and ask her to help raise him - I'm guessing her reasoning is because being a single parent is hard and Kate is a hero-type so maybe she'll change diapers and stuff. And unsurprisingly Kate isn't interested in helping her abuser raise a kid and play happy family.
    end of spoilers.

I found it kinda funny actually.

Meanwhile Luke spoilers:
    inadvertently gets rescued by a monster whom he thought was a child that he was rescuing. Because he hasn't been made to look incompetent enough in this series yet I guess, so it had to be done again. But what a friendly monster to save him, so some of them are nice.
    end of spoilers

And as for Drummer, oh I can't be bothered thinking about that one too much right now. On the plus side it looks like Kate has gone back to Gotham temporarily, story-wise at least.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 03-12-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post

So, I hope all these villains don't now know that Kate and Luke are Batwoman and Batwing. But this series seems unconcerned with secret identities, so I guess it would have no lasting effect.
    I'm having these collected for me at my comic shop that my aging (68) body won't drive to every week ('bout 13 miles in another town)

I love this art I'm seeing. I kinda dropped out of Batwoman way back during the first Nocturna storyline. Just seemed not to be my thing.

And I actually love vampires.

Anyway, my only regret is of course.

Kate doesn't consider Bette a friend?
    I know, different writers, plotters, etc.

At least I don't have the baggage re: Planetary, which I've never read and know little of.

I just have Bette Baggage.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Kate doesn't consider Bette a friend?
    I know, different writers, plotters, etc.
    Bette
    Jean-Paul
    Renee
    Maggie
    Bruce
    Dick
    Babs
    Tim
    Cass
    etc

I mean, according to past comics even that stupid Wolf-Spider guy is supposed to be Kate's friend. Also according to this series - Kate's drinking problem is back and she sulked in the corner during Luke's last birthday party.

So I wouldn't worry about Bette being excluded here - it's meaningless in the grander scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Bette
    Jean-Paul
    Renee
    Maggie
    Bruce
    Dick
    Babs
    Tim
    Cass
    etc

I mean, according to past comics even that stupid Wolf-Spider guy is supposed to be Kate's friend. Also according to this series - Kate's drinking problem is back and she sulked in the corner during Luke's last birthday party.

So I wouldn't worry about Bette being excluded here - it's meaningless in the grander scheme.
    No, thanks for that. I realize I seem to carry a torch for Flamebird, pun intended, that won't be put out.

Since I don't have a big profile of reading with the overall Bat-verse I just take it as it is. But I guess I'd chalk it up to figure of speech, heat of the moment thing.

Even without my true flamey love, Flamebird, shouldn't the Outsiders have more members. What do they have 3?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Mighty Member

Kate vs Nocturna round three.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Kate vs Nocturna round three.
    It wasn't really so much a versus as a conversation and a flat-out rejection. For some reason a number of different writers seem to like the idea of Nocturna being obsessed with Kate. She's becoming more than a little stalker-ish, without actually doing the stalking part.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Even without my true flamey love, Flamebird, shouldn't the Outsiders have more members. What do they have 3?
    The writing team stated early on that it'll just be the 3. But the team is misnamed anyway - apparently Editorial didn't want them to use the Outsiders name because it is literally a different team that has nothing to do with this one, but the writers insisted so they let them have their way.