Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think Kelly and Lanzing are just bad writers. I have been reading their Marvel stuff like their Captain America and Thunderbolts and it's just not very good. I don't get why DC/Marvel are giving them so many chances when the stuff they produce is so mediocre and subpar.
    They get work for the same reasons Scott Lobdell and others keep or kept getting work..

1) Easy to work with

2) Get content turned in on time

3) Can do more than one book

4) More willing to put up with the antics at both companies

5) Some folks are bigger names elsewhere that even if the floppy does not sell-their name is enough to get the trade on the store, library or school shelf. See I Am Batman.

And this is where it gets murky...

DC and Marvel are trying to get new blood but it's hard to do that when many writers of genders and demographics are DISMISSED before the first preview is out.
    With too many folks looking for REASONS to not bother with the book or stock the book.

How many badly done DC and Marvel books had long runs with bad writers that still moved products? How many books did Lobdell do in New 52?

We want new blood we have to give them shots.

We want books that are NOT using another name-we have to give them shots. If this is a Plantary book needs to have that title. Or we keep seeing old names being used over and over again.

Astonishing Member

I mean, by using a Batman-adjacent title and bat-adjacent characters to reintroduce planetary-adjacent concepts to the DCU, those same elements are now bound to the Bat side as surely as the Authority now is to Superman

I do wonder if Lucius and Luke are intended to be part of the sacrificial ‘nuance’ characters for Waller’s upcoming play at the Twilight of the Superheroes; in that they are recruited by Drummer to end superheroes rather than metahuman genocide?

Someone's getting killed off, and I can't see Kate on the cover...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hard to get enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Neither is Luke. Look at the knee area of the silhouette. That looks a lot like the hem of the coat he was wearing on the #1 covers:

While Cruz and Carey both draw Kate's cape going to her ankles.

I kinda doubt it's either one, though. Drummer doesn't seem attached enough for this kind of reaction, even on a cover.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Neither is Luke. Look at the knee area of the silhouette. That looks a lot like the hem of the coat he was wearing on the #1 covers:

While Cruz and Carey both draw Kate's cape going to her ankles.

I kinda doubt it's either one, though. Drummer doesn't seem attached enough for this kind of reaction, even on a cover.
    Yeah, unless relationships drastically build in the next two issues - I don't really see Drummer caring all that much if something happens to Kate.

If something did happen to either Kate or Luke I think we can expect Batman (not one of the alternates shown on the cover) to make an appearance and have things to say. And again, if the original plan was to promote Kate and Luke as characters (apparently why editorial gave these writers the characters) killing them off isn't a great way to do that.

Closer look at the cover:

There are rumors that the deceased person is one of the Planetary originals, so - Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, or The Drummer. Since 2 out of those 3 are also rumored to be younger Drummer's parents - it also makes her reaction on the cover make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    There are rumors that the deceased person is one of the Planetary originals, so - Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, or The Drummer. Since 2 out of those 3 are also rumored to be younger Drummer's parents - it also makes her reaction on the cover make more sense.
    Oh, well, no big deal then .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh, well, no big deal then .
    My guess is that they'll sacrifice themself to save the Outsiders from whatever it is that happens in #6.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    If the purpose of this series (according to interviews) was to promote Kate/Batwoman and Luke/Batwing - it isn't doing a very good job of it. I was entertained enough reading this, I mean I didn't love and I didn't hate it, but it kept me amused for the duration it took to read through.

The thing is, as either a Batwoman fan or a Batwing fan I wasn't satisfied. Kate seems to get told off or mocked behind her back (for being a Bat and wearing a cape), and Luke still doesn't feel like himself IMHO. This series isn't putting either of them in a good light. I'll continue to read the series because this is the only Batwoman content available; but unfortunately I won't be hugely surprised if she gets tossed back into Limbo (save for guest appearances) after this for a while.

Between my agreeing with your post and my initial reaction to the "new" character being neutral at best.....

larry-david-confused.jpg

...yeah.... i'm... i'm just not sure about this title.
    Don't complain. Create.

Extraordinary Member

So is the backstory that Wildstorm’s Planetary did take place in the early 2000s, 20 so odd years before the current DC present?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So is the backstory that Wildstorm’s Planetary did take place in the early 2000s, 20 so odd years before the current DC present?
    Yes, but on the Wildstorm Earth that was destroyed in one of the Multiversal shake ups. (Technically it was destroyed even in its own timeline, but that's another kettle of fish)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Yes, but on the Wildstorm Earth that was destroyed in one of the Multiversal shake ups. (Technically it was destroyed even in its own timeline, but that's another kettle of fish)
    Earth 51?

Wasn’t Dino Cop of Justice League Incarnate, (a standee for Savage Dragon) from Wildstorm Earth?

Wildstorm Earth exited after 52 weekly till Flashpoint. After Flashpoint it was rolled into main Earth and on Multverse map, if I remember right, Image Earth replaced it with Dino Cop being from it.