Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I’m pretty sure that is Drummer?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    I'm curious but ... am I the only one that is getting strong Planetary vibes off this trio?

Female fighter, Man in white, unknown with drumsticks, who "search for the hidden history of the world" ... ?
    That's got to be intentional.

I'm liking the vibe this book is aiming for.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

My interest is picked because I’ve been wanting good Outsiders and Batwoman books for ages.
    I’m not so sure what to think about the Planetary similarities. The concept itself if okay, but I don’t know if Outsiders is the best book for it (Challengers of the Unknown had similar themes for example) and if it makes sense to have two Bat-characters in this role. If they’re investigating hidden histories of the DCU and dealing with crisis aftermaths, wouldn’t it make more sense to have some characters with some actual experience with archeology/exploration or who have been more involved in the events they’re investigating? Metamorpho, Hawkgirl, Donna Troy come to mind as more logical fits.
    I’m also tired of every recent Outsiders run being so focused on Bat-characters. Say what you will about Winnick’s run, but at least The Outsiders felt like an important and independent team then.

Since we know we’re not getting something closer to the typical Outsiders cast (Katana, Black Lightning, Metamorpho), I hope the series is at least good and different enough from Planetary to justify appropriating an unrelated name.

Incredible Member

Always happy to have more Luke.

(Ignoring that appearance as "The Fox"(?) or whatever that was).

I can't be the only person to wonder why in the world this book wouldn't also be a good place

to have Flamebird or current ID join.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I’m not so sure what to think about the Planetary similarities. The concept itself if okay, but I don’t know if Outsiders is the best book for it (Challengers of the Unknown had similar themes for example) and if it makes sense to have two Bat-characters in this role.
    Doesn't really sounds like Outsiders at al, since that is usually supposed more of black ops team (even if the book has imo often not really delivered on that).

Seems a bit like they just slapped a name of somewhat know Batman related team on the book, since it is a team up of mostly batman characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Doesn't really sounds like Outsiders at al, since that is usually supposed more of black ops team (even if the book has imo often not really delivered on that).

Seems a bit like they just slapped a name of somewhat know Batman related team on the book, since it is a team up of mostly batman characters.
    That's also how I took it, but I hope the new writers do something to justify it being a new Outsiders.
    DC are sometimes pretty bad at protecting their team book IPs. The concepts are all over the place and they often ignore the characters more associated with each team.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    I'm curious but ... am I the only one that is getting strong Planetary vibes off this trio?

Female fighter, Man in white, unknown with drumsticks, who "search for the hidden history of the world" ... ?
    Yes they are trying to make this DC's Planetary instead of bringing Elijah Snow back .
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    When we want to riff on Warren Ellis without actually needing Warren Ellis .

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Yes they are trying to make this DC's Planetary instead of bringing Elijah Snow back .
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When we want to riff on Warren Ellis without actually needing Warren Ellis .
    Why would anyone actually want that?

Like, how well has DC done with Watchmen's characters? Do you really think Planetary would fare better?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

Like, how well has DC done with Watchmen's characters? Do you really think Planetary would fare better?
    Well Ellis does have some bad PR associated with his name...I mean even his attempt to get Fell up and running again flamed out due to those, doubt we see any DC work from him any time soon.

The homages are pretty overt but I’m down to see how they handle it. Stuff like Planetary did a great job playing like long standing tropes aim curious to how an in universe version would play out. Really glad to see Luke here. He’s a super genius and she’s well connected military brat. Not to mention their wealth they can cover a lot of ground between them. I was kinda hoping Jace and Katanna would do something with a new Outsiders team but I’ll give this a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

Well, DC hasn't really done much with Watchmen characters outside the prequel stuff and Doomsday Clock, though I guess reception to both was mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    A new OUTSIDERS book by Collin Kelly & Jackson Lanzing with art from Robert Carey staring a new line-up of superheros lead by Batwoman & Luke Fox.
    They're going to stop being superheroes, and start being super-archeologists - looking into the history of the DC Universe.
    Attachment 133454
    ^^^Geez, this seems like something I’d come up w. in one of my teambuild threads.