Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Why would anyone actually want that?

Like, how well has DC done with Watchmen's characters? Do you really think Planetary would fare better?
    I think you meant Wildstorm not Watchmen.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-25-2023 at 07:25 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think you meant Wildstorm not Watchmen.
    Either, but I used Watchmen as it was a self-contained series with its own complete story so is a better comparison than ongoing books with multiple creatives.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Either, but I used Watchmen as it was a self-contained series with its own complete story so is a better comparison than ongoing books with multiple creatives.
    Oh ok.

Right now I'm mixed on it. I like the writer from other stories and the premise is interesting. But I'm not feeling the cast or using the Outsiders name here. So it's a wait and see

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

A team called the Outsides could fit the description of what this series is to be about, unfortunately I think it's tied to closely to the Batman/hero brand in people's minds to be what DC is aiming it for. I think they would have benefitted the book more if they would have used a different title like Challengers of the Unknown or something similar. Likewise, Outsiders implies (due to the history of the title) that there will be a team of more than 3.

I gotta say, this is one weird-ass high concept for a book.

"Planetary, but explicitly set in the DCU?" I guess that could be a thing. Lord knows there's truckloads of metatextual nooks and crannies to be explored in the DCU's publishing history. Maybe they'll find the Earth-2 Speedy

Two out of the three characters are from the Batfamily? That's... confusing. It's like putting together an underwater strike force team, but ignoring all of the Aquaman family (or even the Sea Devils), in favor of Green Arrow and Hawkman.

I mean, sure, it *might* work, but it's damned peculiar.

Extraordinary Member

Kate having short hair as Batwoman looks so weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kate having short hair as Batwoman looks so weird.
    To me it’s way more bizarre how they are turning Luke Fox into Elijah Snow. He’s even wearing the same clothes.
    It’s weird too see The Outsiders become such a blatant copy of another Planetary.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    To me it’s way more bizarre how they are turning Luke Fox into Elijah Snow. He’s even wearing the same clothes.
    It’s weird too see The Outsiders become such a blatant copy of another Planetary.
    Comics officially running out of ideas .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Honestly I just hope this is decent overall.

Kelly and Lanzing have been pretty hit or miss across the board with their stuff.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

A book with this kind of concept will need more than just two average humans running it (and whatever the female Drummer is supposed to be.) This is where someone like the Harbinger from COIE would be amazing in (if she had a physical body any more...hate they did that to her) or Lyta Trevor Fury or Grace Choi or anyone else who wasn't just a normal human. It might give me more interest in the book than I currently have.

honestly, I would have been more interested in this if it had Damian starting his own team again with Nobody, Flatline, Goliath and Monkey Prince....
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 08-19-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Interview. Discussion of the new Outsiders begins at 8:31.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Soooooo is there gonna be an action..... like... fighting super villains and such....? The last Outsiders was pretty cool with Cass, Duke and Rah's al Ghul.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Soooooo is there gonna be an action..... like... fighting super villains and such....?
    Not so much according to the interview:

Rather than take these two and put them into a situation where they were dropping into warzones and being agents of the Bat: we wanted to see what it would look like to do a book that wasn't anchored on violence - to do a Batman book, or Bat-style book, that's anchored on empathy and understanding and investigation and archaeology and so that's where we took our cues and our inspirations.

Not from punch 'em up books or Batman books, but from Star Trek and Indiana Jones - these stories where you dig into history and try to understand yourself by looking into the unknown.
    IMHO it's a bit odd to use two Batman-family characters in this way, but I'm intrigued. I'm sure there will still be plenty of fighting, it might just be toned down a bit compared to the other books.

I'm not sure how it will work coming from a personality standpoint though. Kate's background is more military and Luke is supposed to be a technological genius - neither have been shown to have an inclination for archaeology or history that I'm aware. Do either of them even do much investigative work compared to the rest of the Bat-Family?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

On the bright side since Kate's a lesbian that means we won't have to deal with any forced romantic tension that comes from having the co-leads being a guy and a woman