Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Maybe the ambit of her powers extends to changing her chromosomes, but not affecting her X-gene?

Which would make sense I suppose...the X-gene is what enables her to change everything else, so it has to be the one constant.

By the same token, she cannot modify her X-gene to gain other mutant's abilities.
    Suspension of disbelief not withstanding, that's why I can't believe Raven is capable shapeshift into a biological XY male and back to an XX female on a whim under any circumstance. Theoretically, if Raven could randomly change any aspect of her DNA she would not be Mystique anymore.

CHROMOSOME:
    updated: August 18, 2023

Chromosomes are threadlike structures made of protein and a single molecule of DNA that serve to carry the genomic information from cell to cell. In plants and animals (including humans), chromosomes reside in the nucleus of cells. Humans have 22 pairs of numbered chromosomes (autosomes) and one pair of sex chromosomes (XX or XY), for a total of 46.
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-19-2023 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Link(s) added.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Suspension of disbelief not withstanding, that's why I can't believe Raven is capable shapeshift into a biological XY male and back to an XX female on a whim under any circumstance. Theoretically, if Raven could randomly change any aspect of her DNA she would not be Mystique anymore.

CHROMOSOME:

Chromosomes are threadlike structures made of protein and a single molecule of DNA that serve to carry the genomic information from cell to cell. In plants and animals (including humans), chromosomes reside in the nucleus of cells. Humans have 22 pairs of numbered chromosomes (autosomes) and one pair of sex chromosomes (XX or XY), for a total of 46.
    Yet you can believe that Ororo can control lightning? That Scott’s eyes shoot concussive force blocked only by ruby quartz? That Jean can become the Phoenix?

And it’s 5% of the animal kingdom which can change gender.
    https://www.science.org/content/arti...hen-change-sex
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 08-20-2023 at 01:34 AM.

Right lol suspension of disbelief has to withstand for anything in this genre to work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Yet you can believe that Ororo can control lightning? That Scott’s eyes shoot concussive force blocked only by ruby quartz? That Jean can become the Phoenix?

I wasn't aware I stuttered while typing online about a fictional world so badly but, and, yes you have my stance on the subject and my reasoning behind it...
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-20-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post

CHROMOSOME:

The point I'm making is that Raven could theoretically change everything about herself except her X-gene. As a consequence, she can never mimic the powers of another mutant or become a non-mutant.

To be honest this late in the game I don't feel like Kurt should have any relevance to the MystiquexDestiny ship because neither really acts like they care about him compared to Rogue and vice-versa and I'm nowhere near invested enough in the ship to care that they managed to conceive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest this late in the game I don't feel like Kurt should have any relevance to the MystiquexDestiny ship because neither really acts like they care about him compared to Rogue and vice-versa and I'm nowhere near invested enough in the ship to care that they managed to conceive.
    Kurt's just too much a bro. Even to terrible people he shut just cut off from his life.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

They don’t even seem to care about rogue anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post

https://www.science.org/content/arti...hen-change-sex
    There’s that, but there’s also the fact if she can alter her dna, she should be using that ability to do stuff other than fathering newborns to yeet off cliffs…

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post

There’s that, but there’s also the fact if she can alter her dna, she should be using that ability to do stuff other than fathering newborns to yeet off cliffs…
    But it's so funny ! A girl can have a hobby !

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post

Re: the bolded, I can’t believe they have done so little with the Rogue/Irene/Raven relationship, such a lot of wasted potential plots.

Astonishing Member

No joke, such a waste

Just to reiterate, Mystique and Destiny are not good people no matter how much they're ride or die lovers for each other .

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just to reiterate, Mystique and Destiny are not good people no matter how much they're ride or die lovers for each other .

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Does Mystique's ability really need her to change her DNA? She's just changing her appearance.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Does Mystique's ability really need her to change her DNA? She's just changing her appearance.
    Scientists are working on women only pregnancy using stem cells adapted to impregnate an egg.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ir-dna-n836876

So it’s not anywhere near the suspension of disbelief that most mutations are.

If her physical appearance is more than skin seep, if she can create organs or repurpose her own organs, she could create testes, and testosterone which would then produce sperm. Women are born with all the eggs they will ever have, but sperm is manufacturing all the time.
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 08-21-2023 at 10:43 AM.