Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The amount of justification for them abandoning Kurt is ridiculous. If Destiny could see the future and did see what would happen with their child, that’s on her for what he’s suffered through. If anything she is even more culpable than your average deadbeat excuse making parent.

I don’t see anyone in this thread attempting to justify it, but rather explain why she would do it. It’s been well-established that Destiny is extremely selfish; she was willing to let trillions of people suffer and die in the Sinister timeline to keep mystique alive. Abandoning a baby is small potatoes in comparison to that.

What's one more bad mom ?

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I don’t see anyone in this thread attempting to justify it, but rather explain why she would do it. It’s been well-established that Destiny is extremely selfish; she was willing to let trillions of people suffer and die in the Sinister timeline to keep mystique alive. Abandoning a baby is small potatoes in comparison to that.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    It was also my theory, but for the reason why Mystique married Baron Wagner and then slept with Azazel. Destiny told her to do it, because she saw Kurt's role in the future. IMHO it would be easier than retconning Destiny into being Kurt's mother. It would change Raven's motivation and role in Draco's story, no longer would she be a victim of Azazel's seduction, instead he would now be a chess piece in her and Destiny's plans.
    I would much rather they just completely erase Azazel from the the story. I would prefer that everything from Austen's run be quietly eliminated, dont think anything of merit came from that run.
    (Unfortunately with Az showing up in Dark X-Men, I dont see that happening though.)

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Nah, regardless of the still unspecified relation between Blindfold (and her brother) and Irene, back in the 90s during Mystique's time with the government X-Factor team she revealed that Irene had at some point in the past had a daughter named Justine who had a mutant son named Trevor Chase. He had some kind of spacial/reality warping power and upon her death Irene had asked Mystique to watch out for Trevor, so for years Raven basically pretended to be his imaginary friend who checked in on him every now and then, until a shadow organization trying to start their own version of the Hound program killed Justine and her husband and abducted a ten year old Trevor to indoctrinate into their program. Raven wanted to enlist Forge's help to track down the abductors and get Trevor back but before that could actually go anywhere, the writers switched gears to a totally different storyline and never returned to that one.

So the last anyone heard about Trevor Chase, he was a powerful reality warping pre-teenager kidnapped by an evil mutant hunting organization after Raven promised her wife she'd protect him....until she got busy and forgot about him. But its all good because the post-resurrection Irene doesn't seem to remember any of this or the existence of Trevor or her murdered daughter either, lmao.

Oops.
    OMG i remember this story lol I think the cover has a brunette kid (Trevor Chase) with scowl or frown with a huge silhouette of Sabertooth(?) Orrr the rock dude they had working for the agency
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    OMG i remember this story lol I think the cover has a brunette kid (Trevor Chase) with scowl or frown with a huge silhouette of Sabertooth(?) Orrr the rock dude they had working for the agency
    LOL yup, that's absolutely what one of the covers was.

X-Factor_Vol_1_137.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    LOL yup, that's absolutely what one of the covers was.

Poor kid was dropped like a hot rock and forgotten just as quickly as a reality manipulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    "Kurt, I'm your mother AND your father!"
    Id honestly rather that than making mystique and destiny the parents. They don't even deserve that honor of being nightcrawlers parents.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Claremont definitely wrote Kurt as someone Mystique cared about. She couldn't even kill him when she was testing herself. Then there is the whole Destiny failing to warn Blob about the X-Men. But that was long ago. To me the whole Mystique / Destiny as parents has been kind of ruined over the years for me. I don't really like Mystique anymore (more to do than just Kurt, I find her annoying) But I still don't like The Draco. And they are such different people that I can't see them accepting each other. If they reveal them as his parents then that has to be all because I can't see them interacting much above Ravens snark.

Spurrier's new interview provides some insight on Origins:
    https://www.looper.com/1369714/si-sp...man-interview/

Going to "X-Men Blue: Origins", what was it like to revisit Nightcrawler's history and shine a light on a pretty established character's story and poking around at new elements of it?

All the adjectives: daunting, exciting, a privilege, terrifying. You will understand there's a limit to what I can actually talk about, because it's such a monumental bit of background interrogation, let's say, that to speak about it too much will give everything away. It simultaneously pays a great deal of respect, too, and has a great deal of affection for the current orthodox version of Nightcrawler's birth and the circumstances of his birth, and the story surrounding all of that.

What we didn't want to do was to say, "No, that's all lies," and throw it away and pretend it was never there in the first place. We've worked with it in a very clever way to sensitively dance between the raindrops and present something which doesn't take anything away, but does add a great deal.

How do these two new stories interconnect?

In the internal chronology sense, it was a bit of a challenge because the ... Let me see if I get this right. The framing narrative of the "Origins" issue takes place about halfway through Issue #4 of the "Uncanny" first arc. There's a point in the "Uncanny" story when we know this conversation occurs. There's some clever stuff in the "Uncanny" issue, which is about signaling to the reader that something has happened, a conversation has occurred. You don't have to go and read the "Origins" book if you don't want to, but you really should because it is wonderful.

Tonally, they're different enough, but not so different that ... If you imagine them all collected together as I hope they will be, it's not going to bump you out of the story. Without spoiling anything, there's a cute narrative voice which keeps us on track during the "Origin" story, which is borrowed directly from the "Uncanny" arc to ... I won't go into details, but there is a character in "Uncanny" who is a slightly metaphysical, slightly real, or not real, nobody's quite sure, and they play the role of the narrator in the "Origin" story as an external voice, which is familiar to the readers of "Uncanny" but won't be too jarring to people who are coming into "Origins" for the first time to keep us all on track. That allows the edges of the transition to be smoothed down a bit. I don't think it bumps at all.

What do you hope readers get from these books?

It's, funnily enough, the doctrine of the cleansing flame, isn't it? The Phoenix of it all. In order to generate new things and new life, you have to have these periods of devastation, and that's the notion behind "Fall of X." We've built this house of cards, we've never pretended that it's perfect, it's clearly got lots of holes in its foundations. Now, finally, somebody has come along and flicked it all down. That's fertile soil to be telling stories in. I'm always somebody who likes to juxtapose a very intimate emotional story against a big backdrop of stuff. This particular media works really well for me. The story of Nightcrawler and assorted other characters and the story of him and Mystique — all of it against this much bigger backdrop. We're constantly referring to the big picture, the epic of it, all the question marks. You have to remember a lot of the characters in this "Fall of X" phase don't know what's going on in the wider world. There are so many question marks.

It's really fascinating, really exciting. I have inklings of the next phase, so it's exciting to know what's coming down the pipe and be part of that. It's a great privilege.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Yeah, I'm really curious.
    I don't know the artist well, they seem to fit with Garbett's style so it won't be jarring.

Curious about the "narrator" thing. Spurrier hinted at it in a previous interview.
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 08-18-2023 at 09:30 AM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Yeah, I'm really curious.
    I don't know the artist well, they seem to fit with Garbett's style so it won't be jarring.

Curious about the "narrator" thing. Spurrier hinted at it in a previous interview.
    I think the narrator is the little white Bamf in the promos?
    What I am wondering is if Kurt thinks the little white Bamf is a figment of his imagination, but it might turn out to be Wagnerine’s baby from Sins of Sinister? And is she called Talia?

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I think the narrator is the little white Bamf in the promos?
    What I am wondering is if Kurt thinks the little white Bamf is a figment of his imagination, but it might turn out to be Wagnerine’s baby from Sins of Sinister? And is she called Talia?
    Ah yes of course !
    It makes me even more curious XD

I think it’ll either be the Bamf or Legion/Blindfold.