Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Beast World has been just ok for me. The art is great, but the writing isn't blowing me away. I don't love Waller in this and her plan to deal with the mutated humans just seems corny.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm pretty sure you had to willingly agree to go on missions to get the deal, she didn't forcibly conscript them.
    She was not above threatening, manipulating nor blackmailing to get what she wanted. Just look at how she bullied Digger. He belonged to her, whether he wanted to or not (even if it was used in a more humoristic vien).

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Then I guess she's always been one note then? Cause her overall motivation has not changed since her inception. Its just she's more ruthless now.
    Far from it, i'd say. Especially under Ostrander. Others have written her poorly over the years, not taking the time to really undestand the character and what made her tick (or simply not having the talent to do so), but he developed her as a tragic character with very complex motivations, and it was not simply a quest for power or against the super-beings. Waller was essentially a once strong and good person who was crushed by the harshness of life, having those she loved taken from her by violence (normal, human, everyday kind of violence, not super-human violence) and felling powerless to protect those that remained. Her quest for the power (political power) that could prevent that from happening again eventually isolated her from those remaing loved ones, making it so that she "lost" even them. Amanda became an "ends justify the means" kind of person, however, somewhere deep down, still rang a little bit of the moral and emphatic person she once was, and that person occasionally managed to shine through. Her development continued over in the Suicide Squad book when she chose to face the consequences of her abuses of power (even if she knew that she could,and did, eventually manipulate the system to get a free pass). When she returned "after a massive diet" in the New 52, there was very little of that cpomplex Amanda around, and, from what I've seen of her since then, this character never really quite returned.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I just want a Titans story that's original.
    Yeah, me too. The Titans seem to be permenently stuck in the endless loop of always returning to the classic and highly successful Wolfman and Perez years, always having the same relationships and facing the same threats. Frankly, what worked then might not work now. The drama of that era is kind of excessive and boring for today's sensitivities, P.C. makes some classic stories beats forbiden, or at the very least touchy, topics nowadays. We will always get a very diluted and retried version of that great era, and not the groundbreaking stuff that made it so memorable. I honestly wish they'd add some other members to the mix and invest in new relationships, new villains, new threats.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    She was not above threatening, manipulating nor blackmailing to get what she wanted. Just look at how she bullied Digger. He belonged to her, whether he wanted to or not (even if it was used in a more humoristic vien).

Far from it, i'd say. Especially under Ostrander. Others have written her poorly over the years, not taking the time to really undestand the character and what made her tick (or simply not having the talent to do so), but he developed her as a tragic character with very complex motivations, and it was not simply a quest for power or against the super-beings. Waller was essentially a once strong and good person who was crushed by the harshness of life, having those she loved taken from her by violence (normal, human, everyday kind of violence, not super-human violence) and felling powerless to protect those that remained. Her quest for the power (political power) that could prevent that from happening again eventually isolated her from those remaing loved ones, making it so that she "lost" even them. Amanda became an "ends justify the means" kind of person, however, somewhere deep down, still rang a little bit of the moral and emphatic person she once was, and that person occasionally managed to shine through. Her development continued over in the Suicide Squad book when she chose to face the consequences of her abuses of power (even if she knew that she could,and did, eventually manipulate the system to get a free pass). When she returned "after a massive diet" in the New 52, there was very little of that cpomplex Amanda around, and, from what I've seen of her since then, this character never really quite returned.
    Compare that nuance to modern day Waller:

Yeah, me too. The Titans seem to be permenently stuck in the endless loop of always returning to the classic and highly successful Wolfman and Perez years, always having the same relationships and facing the same threats. Frankly, what worked then might not work now. The drama of that era is kind of excessive and boring for today's sensitivities, P.C. makes some classic stories beats forbiden, or at the very least touchy, topics nowadays. We will always get a very diluted and retried version of that great era, and not the groundbreaking stuff that made it so memorable. I honestly wish they'd add some other members to the mix and invest in new relationships, new villains, new threats.

Peace
    Totally agreed.

When it was announced that the Titans would become the premier DC team I was really hoping we’d get some fresh storylines and the team would finally be able to move out of the shadow of the NTT run. But it looks like Trigon will be attempting to take over the earth and there will be an evil Raven for the umpteenth time. I’m guessing Slade will have a double agent join the team in the next arc. Really wanted to see an expanded roster but Taylor is playing this extremely safe.

But whatever. If it’s selling well and it introduces new fans to the Titans I guess that’s what’s important.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-29-2024 at 02:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Compare that nuance to modern day Waller:

Totally agreed.

When it was announced that the Titans would become the premier DC team I was really hoping we’d get some fresh storylines and the team would finally be able to move out of the shadow of the NTT run. But it looks like Trigon will be attempting to take over the earth and there will be an evil Raven for the umpteenth time. I’m guessing Slade will have a double agent join the team in the next arc. Really wanted to see an expanded roster but Taylor is playing this extremely safe.

But whatever. If it’s selling well and it introduces new fans to the Titans I guess that’s what’s important.
    Slade is out of the picture and based on spoilers,the double agent won't be on Slade's payroll.
    Last edited by king81992; 01-29-2024 at 04:18 PM.

Uh, shouldn't you spoil that, King?

spoilers:
    My guess is that Dr. Hate likely isn't working with Trigon, and she will try to overthrow him or something.
    end of spoilers

Taylor said he isn't gonna add anybody to the team or changing the roster because it would be hard to balance, which is fine by me (people already complain he is not giving Cyborg or Wally enough).
    Last edited by Reddead; 01-29-2024 at 07:42 PM.

You guys are really openly talking spoilers from a book that didn't even came out yet? smh
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    Uh, shouldn't you spoil that, King?

spoilers:
    My guess is that Dr. Hate likely isn't working with Trigon, and she will try to overthrow him.
    end of spoilers

Taylor said he isn't gonna add anybody to the team or changing the roster, which is fine by me (people already complain he is not giving Cyborg or Wally enough).
    Shame that Taylor isn't expanding the team. There are some characters I was hoping to see. I would drop Barbara before Cyborg or Wally, everything she brings to the table Cyborg does better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Ostrander gave her depth, but he still had her manipulating, blackmailing and willing to kill the people under her employ to achieve her goals. The only difference is that that was her story, so we had the benefit of seeing into her head and seeing her justifications. In a Doctor Doom book we understand his motivations and we would say he's more nuanced cause its his story, but don't let POV change morality.

And repeating again, that has not been how Waller has been portrayed in YEARS. Both in and out of the stories. We saw a more younger less jaded Waller with much less power who had to prove herself, to a Waller now who's gone through numerous Crisis's cause of the heroes and having all the power she's ever craved. People can hate it all they want but there's a very clear arc for Waller being willing to work with heroes to now where she's just fed up. It would be at this point complaining that Superman doesn't leap anymore he flies.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Ostrander gave her depth, but he still had her manipulating, blackmailing and willing to kill the people under her employ to achieve her goals. The only difference is that that was her story, so we had the benefit of seeing into her head and seeing her justifications. In a Doctor Doom book we understand his motivations and we would say he's more nuanced cause its his story, but don't let POV change morality.

And repeating again, that has not been how Waller has been portrayed in YEARS. Both in and out of the stories. We saw a more younger less jaded Waller with much less power who had to prove herself, to a Waller now who's gone through numerous Crisis's cause of the heroes and having all the power she's ever craved. People can hate it all they want but there's a very clear arc for Waller being willing to work with heroes to now where she's just fed up. It would be at this point complaining that Superman doesn't leap anymore he flies.
    I think the point is that even if Ostrander Waller could be underhanded or vindictive there was a point to her actions and there were also consequences (both physical and ethical) that she had to grapple with and so it felt like there was a point to it, none of which we get now.

So even if it is an "arc" it isn't a very good one.

And where's all the others Titans in this event? This last issue should have them helping.
    Last edited by Dougbauer; 01-30-2024 at 09:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    And where's all the others Titans in this event? This last issue should have them helping.
    Taylor, for whatever reason, is dedicated to keeping this roster small and not involving other Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the point is that even if Ostrander Waller could be underhanded or vindictive there was a point to her actions and there were also consequences (both physical and ethical) that she had to grapple with and so it felt like there was a point to it, none of which we get now.

So even if it is an "arc" it isn't a very good one.
    I agree.

Peace

Taylor, for whatever reason, is dedicated to keeping this roster small and not involving other Titans.
    What?? So why Jon, Bárbara, Harley, and several others are there and nome Titans.. Althoug, this was a good story for me.

I would have loved to see Lilith involved, but now that Raven's a telepath now, Oman's involvement would be moot. Anyway, I'm underwhelmed with this story as well. And Waller is just played out. Taylor should have kept Bother Blood or Brother Eternity as the main antagonist. And instead of him being Tamaranian, he could have been one of Raven's brothers. And Dr. Hate should have been Danny Chase. But whatever.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I enjoyed it. The finale issue had some really good moments. I loved the resolution with Gar and the twist was okies if somewhat predictable.
    Is Waller really that untouchable, she doesn't reap the consequences of her actions? At all? Not even a reprimand?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!