Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt14teg View Post
    For the collectors market this has to be a noticeable difference for expenses though, everything 1.25x its price must put a strain on that. Also for LCS does this kind of help them out or cripple them?

For the smart store owner it doesn't hurt or cripple them.

My store does pre-order prepay. You want certain books and covers-you pre-order and prepay for them in advance. Then when they come out you just walk in and get them and leave.

Guess what? It works and it has helped reduce the back issues and pull list that never get picked up and paid for.
    So when my store does 25 cent comics on Free Comic day-you are not seeing more than say 10 of certain titles (BATMAN). Only time it's more than that is when Marvel or DC send extra.

This is going to shoot them in the foot and alienate the youth even more from buying their comics
    Generally those kids are NOT coming to comic book stores to buy floppies unless they are in dollar or 25 cent bins.

They target the trades.

Making it harder and harder to buy comics.
    Not if you plan wisely and observe trends.

How many times does Midtown Comics have a sale???? Especially 70-90% off sale?
    Do we NOT have Ebay? Half Price Books and other resources?
    Remember Dc and Marvel only care about PRE-ORDERS. If you jump on to say Hulk once it's already on the shelf-they don't care about that sale.

Marvel does subscriptions. I have one for Miles that transferred to the current run.
    Everyone else??? Comic Con or 25 cent bins.
    Why because I am finding too many of those other books in bins. It's better to wait.

And some might say that is not fair but how many books have we seen last that were not selling and books that sold get axed way too quick?
    The last Runaways run was among Marvel's worst sellers with every black female lead book. It last near 2 years with 8-6K orders.
    Shuri and Riri were outselling that book.
    They are going to keep books around that they want to keep around. No matter what.

We sure are...

I just hope a fraction of the money goes towards competitive wages for editorial and talent. Hate the stories of Japanese artists breaking their bodies to meet deadlines to make ends meet.

Fantastic Member

Not for long…

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...horror-of-4-99

There has been a discussion about this over in the X-Forums. I have noticed some price increases at DC in this time. Not counting the DC books with backups, there have been more regular sized books going to $4.99 but those books seem to get two extra pages. So they are 22 story pages instead of 20. Note that contrary to a comment above, Marvel books have been 20 story pages for well over a decade. I do wonder if they are following the page increase as well as the price increase.
    I only saw a couple books in DC's October solicits that look like they are $4.99 for a standard (32 page) sized comic. Marvel seems to have decided to take the plunge on this before DC did, and I wonder if DC will use that as a sales strategy again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    We sure are...

I just hope a fraction of the money goes towards competitive wages for editorial and talent. Hate the stories of Japanese artists breaking their bodies to meet deadlines to make ends meet.
    Comicsbrokeme pretty much just confirms we are like a few steps away from this stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    In my more cynical moments I sometimes think that Marvel acts as if they have no plans beyond the next five years because they have no plans on being around beyond the next five to seven years.
    Well yeah, considering that they haven't invested in making sure Captain America and other characters have a runs that don't get relaunched after 14 to 20 something issues.

The fact that Marvel followed up on one of their biggest hits on years, Immortal Hulk with a run that really had nothing to do with it shows the lack of for thought that Marvel has.

Worse than that, a run that had to be aborted because they lost the writer!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Worse than that, a run that had to be aborted because they lost the writer!
    Which run was that?

Which run was that?
    Donnie Cates
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I think this title might be overestimating how many people on this forum actually buy their comics.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think this title might be overestimating how many people on this forum actually buy their comics.
    What people don't pirate readable content that's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Lots of Marvel comics just went up from $3.99 to $4.99, so you're paying 25% more. It's time to trim a quarter of your pull lists, if you don't want to spend extra.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/amaz...-all-now-4-99/
    oooh thanks for this. looks like unlimited just became the better option because now this is ridiculous. wtf is going to pay 3.99 for a comic and then the next month pay 4.99 for the same pages. So they raising prices for then nex paper shortage? if no extra pages or nothing i'm out all of them that do that. let the shops have at it. marvel been trying to bleed fans for awhile it seems.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Also realize this is once again to treat the shops on the backs of the actual consumers. if you bought the subscription or what not you are not affected by this in essence so this is a direct attack on digital readers or people who go in to shops but it won't hurt the shops buying in advance and that is the final nail in the coffin for me. Let me make sure i unsubscribe from the books i am on amazon so this cash grab doesn't hit me.

It's was a lot of work doing it one by one but it's done.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-25-2023 at 10:15 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

If people are pirating, then they're paying zero. And zero + 25% is still zero, lol. Also, pirates don't have pull lists. I was careful with my wording.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

People who actually support the industry and aren't thieves. But marvel don't care bout that. i have receipts for ALL the books i talk about. But i think i'm taking another break soon. marvel just ain't the world anywhere i am in at this point. Like i got avengers 3 i don't even have the will to talk about the book and prob won't cause i don't want to do anything support marvel at this point. may change, i know i'm still following red, but marvel is seriously trash to me right now and for the first time in ages i'm truly considering looking somewhere else, last time it was two years in the dc universe. that and get back to putting out what i want to see now that i have a patch of time coming up.

Following marvel at this point feels like if i was following that country song that just rose to the top of the billboard on profiting only on the pains of other races while acting like every thing so great in mass shooter land.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-26-2023 at 03:25 AM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.