Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Darren Aronofsky.

I had heard a lot about his previous movies, and had been interested in seeing them. Then I saw Noah in theaters and developed an instant dislike for him and his works, to the point I will never see one of his films again.

On a somewhat different note- I like Zack Snyder. I liked his DC movies. And by all accounts, he really is a nice person who gets along with almost everyone. But I swear, the die-hard Snyder fans on Twitter are starting to make me develop an irrational hatred of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Michael Cimino.

The only film of his I saw was Deer Hunter. It was a little good. A bit overrated, too. When I read reviews about his later works, all of which flopped and most of them are negative, I have decided not to see any of his other works. Not even his films before Deer Hunter.

His reputation never recovered from the box office disaster called Heaven's Gate.
    For what it's worth, I've heard that Heaven's Gate got a bad rap back in the day, and that people now consider it a good film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    This is an interesting moral dilemma. I get it. If it's just for their commercial entertainment value, maybe it's better to skip the movies that go against your own beliefs. I can understand not wanting to give money to disgusting people. But what about for film studies?

I did film studies many years ago at university--and in some ways, for my own interests, I still feel I'm doing film studies. My courses had me watching movies that were offensive. However, I think it's important to watch these movies and understand them in their context--how did movies like BIRTH OF A NATION and GONE WITH THE WIND support a revisionist outlook on the Confederacy; how did TRIUMPH DES WILLENS (TRIUMPH OF THE WILL) use motion picture propaganda to support Nazi ideology?

If we expurgate these movies from our consciousness, we aren't doing ourselves any favours, because we are creating a film history that isn't authentic. We need to know about all the awful movies, so we don't have this illusion that movies only create a wonderful world where everybody loves everybody.
    Years ago I rented Triumph of the Wills from Netflix because I was curious to see exactly how it used propaganda to further the cause of Nazi ideology. It was fascinating to watch, but I definitely felt like I needed a shower afterward.

Michael Cimino.

The only film of his I saw was Deer Hunter. It was a little good. A bit overrated, too. When I read reviews about his later works, all of which flopped and most of them are negative, I have decided not to see any of his other works. Not even his films before Deer Hunter.

His reputation never recovered from the box office disaster called Heaven's Gate.
    Straight talk...

If(for whatever reason...) you decide against seeing Thunderbolt And Lightfoot?

You have completely and totally played yourself.

No other way to put it.

Zack Snyder.

By all accounts, apparently a lovely person, but his work is just terrible. I do not want to encourage any more of it, or any like it. And I figure it matters that I take this small stand against watching his movies, since I know he does in fact have his die hard fans. I consider myself like one solid consumer vote consistently neutralizing the economic and artistic impact his silly grimdark projects can have on the genres I enjoy. May his terribleness never infect another franchise I might otherwise love, like the Justice League.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I don't think Hitch was a "womanizer." At least as I understand that word--it means that a man is constantly hitting on women not his wife and having sex with them. But I don't think he had sex. You could argue that any aggressive attentions to women is womanizing--and I'd agree with that.
    Honestly I pondered whether the right word was womanizer or misogynist for him, and just went with gut instinct on it since I really did not want to google and look over his misdeeds to make a more informed decision between the two. Guy was a creep either way, though personally that hasn't stopped me from watching films like the Birds since.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Zack Snyder and Michael Bay.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I can't name any directors I'd never see. Which means the many directors I will never see are the directors who spend their careers making bad cheap films, deliberately or not. I will never see those directors' films, but I will never know their name probably either. Like I've only seen 2 Tommy Wiseau films because my friends, sadly, like bad films. I won't let myself see those type of films when I'm in control of the situation, which is most of the time.

I definitely don't rule out any directors on their politics or crimes or etc. Definitely quality and reputation drive which directors I watch or not.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-24-2023 at 06:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Retired

There are many directors we will never see, because their films were destroyed (by accident or on purpose) before any of us got the chance to see them.

There are many directors we will never see, because their films were destroyed (by accident or on purpose) before any of us got the chance to see them.
    The original Rin Tin Tin, among others. All lost in the WB studio fire decades ago. Or the Japanese King Kong movies, that were lost because the films were stored in a small town called Hiroshima.

This is an interesting moral dilemma. I get it. If it's just for their commercial entertainment value, maybe it's better to skip the movies that go against your own beliefs. I can understand not wanting to give money to disgusting people. But what about for film studies?

I did film studies many years ago at university--and in some ways, for my own interests, I still feel I'm doing film studies. My courses had me watching movies that were offensive. However, I think it's important to watch these movies and understand them in their context--how did movies like BIRTH OF A NATION and GONE WITH THE WIND support a revisionist outlook on the Confederacy; how did TRIUMPH DES WILLENS (TRIUMPH OF THE WILL) use motion picture propaganda to support Nazi ideology?

If we expurgate these movies from our consciousness, we aren't doing ourselves any favours, because we are creating a film history that isn't authentic. We need to know about all the awful movies, so we don't have this illusion that movies only create a wonderful world where everybody loves everybody.
    Yes, if it's just viewed as entertainment, then there are certain movies I won't watch or ever watch again. If it's more in the category of "Learn from history so those mistakes are not repeated", that's a different story.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

NO mention of Victor Salva? (Jeepers creepers, Powder and the infamous Clownhouse)

Roland Emmerich : made dumb but fun films like ID4, later works were just dumb...

There isn't a director whose work I'd never watch, because things can change on a dim. There are directors whose work I DO NOT SEE unless I hear very very special things about it (for example Richard Linklater, Terrence Malick, David Lynch, Oliver Stone or Darren Aronofsky are not my jam). But I still have faith they can make a film I would love (in fact both Stone and Lynch have). The idea there is any director whose work will never please, indefinitely, is absurd. That's not how art works.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Roman Polanski and Woody Allen probably.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

For what it's worth, I've heard that Heaven's Gate got a bad rap back in the day, and that people now consider it a good film.

Yes, I have read some mixed reviews about this film. Some good, some bad. How could one box office bomb ruin this brilliant and Oscar-winning director's career?
    A lot of directors have had flops and bombs, but they did make a successful come back after the bombs. Cimino did make a few movies after Heaven's Gate, but they all flopped. He never again directed a film after the Sunchaser.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Straight talk...

If(for whatever reason...) you decide against seeing Thunderbolt And Lightfoot?

You have completely and totally played yourself.

No other way to put it.
    I have heard of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and read positive reviews about it, but it didn't get me interested enough to watch this movie. Should I watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot?

Yes, I have read some mixed reviews about this film. Some good, some bad. How could one box office bomb ruin this brilliant and Oscar-winning director's career?
    A lot of directors have had flops and bombs, but they did make a successful come back after the bombs. Cimino did make a few movies after Heaven's Gate, but they all flopped. He never again directed a film after the Sunchaser.

I have heard of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and read positive reviews about it, but it didn't get me interested enough to watch this movie. Should I watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot?
    It's more that people didn't trust his vision. If he stayed within the confines of the story and what the producers want but once he strays outside that, people don't want him. You know he was hired for Footloose. But he and one of the producers had differing views on the script, so he was fired.