Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Dan Slott wanted to bring him back during his Iron Man run and got nixed from above. He is conspicuously absent or in the background of the 60th Anniversary Avengers stuff despite being a founding member. Tom Breevort mentioned in his newsletter a couple of months back that he'd show up again at some point, but I think it would just be time travel or something. There seems to be interests among writers to bring him back, but editorial is standing in the way. I'd guess there is some sort of corporate edict against his return because of his baggage. I think Hank is gone for the foreseeable future.
    Considering the focus on AI and his past with Ultron that would’ve been a perfect place to do it.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Hank is a character you could…kinda…try and align with the MCU version. It’s that or constantly refer to the slap.

I think Ewing will be bringing him back. And that’s all cool, but it depends what happens to him after. Maybe making him semi-retire and become of an advisor would benefit him more?
    I actually enjoyed his 'just' Doctor Pym phase in West coast Avengers. A scientist and walking Swiss army knife with all those *******d/enlarged stuff he pulled out his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I actually enjoyed his 'just' Doctor Pym phase in West coast Avengers. A scientist and walking Swiss army knife with all those *******d/enlarged stuff he pulled out his pockets.
    That and anytime under Busiek are probably my fav versions of Hank. I think it’s going to be a while due to the reasons listed above but someone will come back with something for him. He’s too good a character to be left languishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh, that series was so good (and such great art!).
    Thanks!

And the chutzpah of being told 'you can only use seven people, who have ever been, or will ever be, Avengers!' and going, 'okay, two future Avengers we haven't seen yet, three staple Avengers (Steve, Clint and Janet), and Hank Pym *twice!* I'm sure some editor somewhere was saying, 'Are you sure you didn't mean, Thor, Iron Man, Cap, and four other people not named Hank or Janet?' and Busiek was like, 'No, I'm good. Stand back.'
    Nah. We weren't limited to seven, really, and the editor, Tangential Tom Brevoort, helped come up with the lineup. He's the one who suggested Genis, to boot.

Carlos wanted Songbird and Yellowjacket. I wanted modern-day Hank and Jan, which led to the idea of having them both. I liked YJ's first outfit, where you could see his eyes, but that meant he had to be Crazy YJ, and that made things even better.

So much in that series that feels foundational came about because of really minor things, but those minor things gave birth to bigger and cooler ideas.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Astonishing Member

Could always use time displaced splinter of Hank before the slap.

Nobody really stays dead (except Uncle Ben and the O.G. Captain Marvel) in 616, Which is a shame.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Could always use time displaced splinter of Hank before the slap.

Nobody really stays dead (except Uncle Ben and the O.G. Captain Marvel) in 616, Which is a shame.
    Or Gwen Stacy

Invincible Member

Same here. I really like the idea of Hank being scientist-adventurer.

Oh, that series was so good (and such great art!).
    Indeed. Peak Pacheco (IMHO):

And the chutzpah of being told 'you can only use seven people, who have ever been, or will ever be, Avengers!' and going, 'okay, two future Avengers we haven't seen yet, three staple Avengers (Steve, Clint and Janet), and Hank Pym *twice!* I'm sure some editor somewhere was saying, 'Are you sure you didn't mean, Thor, Iron Man, Cap, and four other people not named Hank or Janet?' and Busiek was like, 'No, I'm good. Stand back.'
    LOL! Someone mentioned with this series, Yellowjacket ended up being a breakout-star. Props to the creative team for making it happen

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-27-2023 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

It's possible Ewing would bring him back in Avengers Undercover.

Hickman created a new IP in his upcoming miniseries "GODS". That is about two factions "the powers that be" and "the natural order of things" representing Science and Magic. I don't know which is which but maybe Pym could be a member of the science faction?

I was fond of his plainclothes look from Avengers AI so I don't mind bringing it back.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-28-2023 at 07:33 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Pym was great in Kurt Busiek’s Avengers run
    Yeah, I forgot to list Busiek/Perez as a positive..

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    Yeah, I forgot to list Busiek/Perez as a positive..
    Indeed. Busiek did a lot to restore Pym, which is truly praiseworthy (IMHO):

I liked that version too. Maybe another code name this time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Busiek did a lot to restore Pym, which is truly praiseworthy (IMHO):
    I just wish they would stop trying to put Hank and Jan back together. I have already explained by feelings on their unhealthy and dysfunctional relationship.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I liked that version too. Maybe another code name this time.
    Big Daddy?

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I just wish they would stop trying to put Hank and Jan back together. I have already explained by feelings on their unhealthy and dysfunctional relationship.
    The writers have done a fine job of moving Hank on, first to Jocasta (creepy! glad she's moved on to Aaron Stack/Machine Man!) and then to Tigra (much better!), but I never really 'felt' anything from Jan's post-Hank hookups with Tony or whomever. It interests me that Jan is the one that the writers seem to have trouble 'moving on' with, while Hank seems to have mostly accepted that he done her wrong and he's no good for her. (Then again, her obsession with Hank when he was an adult post-grad widower and she a teen debutante was already a bit creepy...)

I definitely would prefer (assuming Hank ever comes back) that Hank and Janet remain 'just old friends' and stay in the 'exes who can get along and stare wistfully at each other and sigh, occasionally, but are never going back there again' zone.

I don't care for Nadia, at all, but love the idea of Nadia and Tigra bonding through the introduction to her half-brother William. That's cool and kind of deepens the 'family ties' (and therefore, story options and dramatic potential, always good for a writer!) for everyone involved. I'd love to see some of the later generations like Nadia, Cassie, William (once he's a bit bigger), Viv Vision and Victor la Mancha (robo-drama!) perhaps get a chance to do something together.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-03-2023 at 08:06 AM.