Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's not quite right. She found a recording. It's what prompted her to take the name Van Dyne instead of Pym (she didn't actually use a surname at all prior to Janet adopting her.
    This page in the last issue of Nadia's first series. When the girls are getting dresses made she overhears some schmuck who does not know how to keep his mouth shut about other people's business.
    TUW-page.jpg
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Hank's best option is to One More Day the slap out of existence. Just make it so it never happened. Do time travel or something. Marvel erased/modified decades of Spidey's history, they can do the same with a C-Lister like Hank.
    Hank is at least a B-list character. Before the movies most associated him with the Ant-Man/Giant-Man moniker even though he hasn't been the former in decades.

Hank's best option is to One More Day the slap out of existence. Just make it so it never happened. Do time travel or something. Marvel erased/modified decades of Spidey's history, they can do the same with a C-Lister like Hank.
    The slap made hank 100 times more interesting. Getting rid of it would be a mistake. It’s okay for characters to be deeply, deeply flawed. In fact that’s what makes them interesting.

Wasn't the slap the first sign of the bipolar disorder that he later diagnosed himself with?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Invincible Member

Wasn't the slap the first sign of the bipolar disorder that he later diagnosed himself with?
    The first sign was probably Avengers #59 when he first showed up as Yellowjacket as an alternative personality and didn't realize that he was Hank Pym. Although the idea of his mental disorder was not treated realistically or with any amount of seriousness.

But it was probably first really dealt with around Avengers #161 [IMG]

Last edited by ed2962; 07-23-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Yeah, Hank was never an abusive husband. The slap came while he was under the effect of a mental breakdown. He was not in control of himself. He never even knew he had slapped Jan untill later. Unfortunately, "edgy" writers who came later saw fit to ignore that, and infered malicious intent of the slap.

Peace

Mighty Member

To me it depends, on Al Ewing. He left the door open for Hank to come back (for the nth time) in the anniversary mini. He's writing a Wasp/Not-Vision book. Things are in alignment for Hank to return, but if he doesn't this time? Either he's Marvel's "Barry Allen" now, which sucks because Scott and Jan aren't used enough to fill the void in the same way as Wally and the effects of Hank's death was minimal compared to saving the multiverse, or his come back is going to seem completely random and impromptu without any build up at all after all the potential opportunities to bring Hank back in a natural way have been tossed aside because Mahvel Baybee!

Ewing is one of the few current writers I would trust to do a Pym return appropriately
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The first sign was probably Avengers #59 when he first showed up as Yellowjacket as an alternative personality and didn't realize that he was Hank Pym. Although the idea of his mental disorder was not treated realistically or with any amount of seriousness.
    Indeed. Here's proof (Avengers #60):

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-23-2023 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Hank is at least a B-list character. Before the movies most associated him with the Ant-Man/Giant-Man moniker even though he hasn't been the former in decades.
    He isn't a hero in the movies, so I am inclined to disagree. He's just a supporting character. There are so many heroes more popular and well-known.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    The slap made hank 100 times more interesting. Getting rid of it would be a mistake. It’s okay for characters to be deeply, deeply flawed. In fact that’s what makes them interesting.
    I think the slap is a big part of what makes Hank who he is as a character. But it seems to be what's holding him back from even existing at this point. I'd guess Marvel is just afraid of the reactionary headlines that would come from telling a story about Hank rather than actually being invested in crafting a compelling story about mental illness. A properly written post-slap Hank has been great, but I don't think Marvel even wants to try anymore. It seems like the choice is between a more interesting Hank who won't appear again for the foreseeable future (and get castigated for being a horrible, irredeemable person when he does) or a less interesting Hank who might at least be allowed to exist in universe without everyone being constantly reminded about how despicable he supposedly is.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

He's supposed to be a retired hero in the movies, right? Hank and Janet were Ant-Man and the Wasp around 40 years ago, and Scott and Hope are their present day successors.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The only way Hank Pym is coming back is if he's a murderous villain. Too many white male heroes so the only route is the dark side.
    They already did evil Hank with the Pymtron thing. You could even say the Pym who sided with Kang in Avengers Forever went to the dark side a little before coming to his senses. Villains have framed Hank Pym or tried to get him to turn evil multiple times and he always refuses.

Also there is more to representation than race or gender. The Hank Pym character is bipolar so I'm sure a hero dealing with those issues can also be inspirational and representative for people dealing with those issues. Mental health is still a pretty big taboo. Hulk and Moon Knight dealing with dissociative personality disorder/Multiple personality disorder has lead to some compelling stories.
    He had been shown to have mental health issues from early on. Hank had a mental breakdown after his first wife Maria was 'kidnapped and killed' back in the old Tales To Astonish run. The fall of Yellowjacket run was probably his worst mental breakdown though.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Hank is a character you could…kinda…try and align with the MCU version. It’s that or constantly refer to the slap.

I think Ewing will be bringing him back. And that’s all cool, but it depends what happens to him after. Maybe making him semi-retire and become of an advisor would benefit him more?

Astonishing Member

He isn't a hero in the movies, so I am inclined to disagree. He's just a supporting character. There are so many heroes more popular and well-known.
    He's not an active super-hero, but he is a hero -- and is a retired super-hero -- having adventures as Ant-Man in the 70s/80s?

Hank Pym is a failed superhero. His feature failed in the 1960s, and the Avengers title is the only thing that kept him in existence. Scott Lang is the better Ant-Man.
    In the event of a relaunched continuity, Black Panther and Captain Marvel will replace Ant-Man and Wasp as founding Avengers, or they might replicate the movie with Hawkeye and Black Widow. If Ant-Man joins the new Avengers continuity, it will be Scott Lang.