Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Too bad, because he died before Nadia's debut and therefore has never met his daughter. Nadia's existence should open up new storylines for Hank.
    I seem to recall she met a younger version of her father when she time traveled during Waid's 2018 limited series (but I never read it so I could be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Dan Slott wanted to bring him back during his Iron Man run and got nixed from above. He is conspicuously absent or in the background of the 60th Anniversary Avengers stuff despite being a founding member. Tom Breevort mentioned in his newsletter a couple of months back that he'd show up again at some point, but I think it would just be time travel or something. There seems to be interests among writers to bring him back, but editorial is standing in the way. I'd guess there is some sort of corporate edict against his return because of his baggage. I think Hank is gone for the foreseeable future.
    I thought hank's baggage was all but erased.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Hank, after what you did, you don't deserve to be an Avengers anymore.
    Hey, Wade, I hope you made sure to murder less than 10 persons today, otherwise I'll have to fire you from the Avengers. Ha ha, just kidding!
    Now say that in your captain America voice.🤣

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Hank's "death" doesn't even feel like a death or permanent. It feels like he's just been removed from the world but could return. Especially since he's merged with Ultron. They'll bring him back as a bitter, crabby old man for synergy. The excuse being that merging with Ultron aged him up considerably. I'm far more worried about a character like Valkyrie staying dead for good then Hank.
    If they truly wanted to synergise they'd need to find a way to age up Janet and Nadia 20 years too (Nadia is the counterpart of Hope from the movies).

Valkyrie can come back any time, she's only in Valhalla. They just seem to be pushing Jane and Runa instead of Brunnhilde in that role right now, Runa being the counterpart of the MCU one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post
    I seem to recall she met a younger version of her father when she time traveled during Waid's 2018 limited series (but I never read it so I could be wrong).
    That Ant-Man and the Wasp mini didn't involve Hank or time travel at all. It was her helping Scott (who'd been in space with the Guardians of the Galaxy) to get home to Cassie for her birthday. Nadia wasn't in Generations either, which would've been an opportunity for that (it would've technically been a team up with silver age Janet, but she and Hank were always together back then, so he would've appeared if they'd done one).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Hank, after what you did, you don't deserve to be an Avengers anymore.
    Hey, Wade, I hope you made sure to murder less than 10 persons today, otherwise I'll have to fire you from the Avengers. Ha ha, just kidding!
    It's funny... 'cause it's true. LOL!

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Dan Slott wanted to bring him back during his Iron Man run and got nixed from above. He is conspicuously absent or in the background of the 60th Anniversary Avengers stuff despite being a founding member. Tom Breevort mentioned in his newsletter a couple of months back that he'd show up again at some point, but I think it would just be time travel or something. There seems to be interests among writers to bring him back, but editorial is standing in the way. I'd guess there is some sort of corporate edict against his return because of his baggage. I think Hank is gone for the foreseeable future.
    He be back when his MCU counterpart dies or the MCU Ant-Man franchise is over.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I thought hank's baggage was all but erased.
    There are those that will never let it be erased...it was a story point in the Wasp series when Nadia overheard some of Jan's people talking about it and how Jan should not have taken Nadia in because of it.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    He be back when his MCU counterpart dies or the MCU Ant-Man franchise is over.
    But that doesn't change the mind of the editorial to bring him back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    But that doesn't change the mind of the editorial to bring him back.
    What are you talking about?
    That’s the whole reason he’s off the comics right now. To not ruin synergy.
    That’s above editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    (and, thankfully, Michael Douglas' much less reviled take).
    You mean, the Hank Pym that killed all the Avengers and left Earth ready for Loki's invasion? I doubt he would win popularity contests either...

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I know "permanent" has a different meaning in comics, however, for the foreseeable future, I don't see Hank coming back. A shame, for he is one of my favorite Marvel characters, and surely deserves more respect than he's had in the last couple of decades.

Peace
    One of my favorites, as well. In addition, I totally agree with you about some much-needed respect for Hank

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-22-2023 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    There are those that will never let it be erased...it was a story point in the Wasp series when Nadia overheard some of Jan's people talking about it and how Jan should not have taken Nadia in because of it.
    That's not quite right. She found a recording. It's what prompted her to take the name Van Dyne instead of Pym (she didn't actually use a surname at all prior to Janet adopting her.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I don't think it's even the infamous slap that is holding Hank back; I think it's the Ultimates. Ultimate Hank was a real POS. Now they're bringing the Ultimate Universe, or some derivative, back. Hank can be connected to a repeated pattern of abuse that his alternate counterpart did. Undeserved or not, casual fans associate Hank with domestic abuse. He'll never be a mainstay in a book again, because any appearance would come with a bunch of articles talking about "The Most EVIL Avenger Ever" or **** like that. Even if he gets resurrected, but he won't have more than a guest appearance every few years, and even that is very unlikely.
    Which is unfortunate, because Millar made Ultimate Hank so repellent specifically to spike attempts to rehabilitate 616 Hank that were ongoing at the time; with Austen and Bendis then trying to retcon some of Ult!Hank’s abuse in, or the confirmation of Hank self-medicating his bi-polar at the time making it look criminally reckless.

You also have the fact that since Ultimates, almost of the major Avengers have been revealed/retconned to have come from childhoods where they suffered or were forced to witness domestic abuse, so it becomes incorrigible for them to have let Hank back in the first time. I think on of the tie-in writers in Secret Empire implied that the Avengers in-universe effectiveness and profile both declined between the slap and disassembled due to the fact that Hank’s continued presence poisoned the atmosphere in the team(s)

I think Secret Invasion would have been the best time to nix that in the bud, but it’s now too late.

Yeah, Hank was impersonated by a Skrull. But only since Bendis started writing Avengers. Anything of him in previous runs was really supposed to be him. Had they said he'd been replaced before he ever became Yellowjacket, he'd have been absolved of blame for the slap. I can see why they didn't. It would've retconned two decades of his history. Mockingbird was replaced in the 80s - but was dead, so no stories were retconned except the one she died in, her being revealed to have been replaced by a Skrull served to effectively resurrect her. Hank would've lost a lot more history if he was a Skrull since the 80s too.

Hank's best option is to One More Day the slap out of existence. Just make it so it never happened. Do time travel or something. Marvel erased/modified decades of Spidey's history, they can do the same with a C-Lister like Hank.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?