Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Do you think Hank Pym is dead 'PERMANENT'?

Since people complain about how superhero deaths never stick. Especially with the death of Doctor Strange, Flash Thompson, X-Men and recently Ms. Marvel. Most of them come back from the dead in less than a year or two. But there is one major hero that didn't come back for good. This includes 'Hank Pym' who has been killed by Ultron in 2015. Since then, on one at Marvel editor would plan to bring him back anymore. Maybe it's time to accept one of them to stay the title.

Dan Slott wanted to bring him back during his Iron Man run and got nixed from above. He is conspicuously absent or in the background of the 60th Anniversary Avengers stuff despite being a founding member. Tom Breevort mentioned in his newsletter a couple of months back that he'd show up again at some point, but I think it would just be time travel or something. There seems to be interests among writers to bring him back, but editorial is standing in the way. I'd guess there is some sort of corporate edict against his return because of his baggage. I think Hank is gone for the foreseeable future.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Too bad, because he died before Nadia's debut and therefore has never met his daughter. Nadia's existence should open up new storylines for Hank.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I know "permenant" has a different meaning in comics, however, for the forseeable future, I don't see Hank coming back. A shame, for he is one of my favorite Marvel characters, and sure deserves more respect than he's had in the last couple of decades.

Peace

I love that Hank is hindered by his "baggage" (and the one-note writers/editors who can't understand the context or get past it) but absolute violent killers get books or entire events around them. On the one side, Hank slapped Jan in the middle of a mental breakdown. On the other, "Extreme Venomverse."

Hank, after what you did, you don't deserve to be an Avengers anymore.
    Hey, Wade, I hope you made sure to murder less than 10 persons today, otherwise I'll have to fire you from the Avengers. Ha ha, just kidding!
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's even more puzzling since Michael Douglas plays Hank in the Marvel movies like Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

I don't think it's even the infamous slap that is holding Hank back; I think it's the Ultimates. Ultimate Hank was a real POS. Now they're bringing the Ultimate Universe, or some derivative, back. Hank can be connected to a repeated pattern of abuse that his alternate counterpart did. Undeserved or not, casual fans associate Hank with domestic abuse. He'll never be a mainstay in a book again, because any appearance would come with a bunch of articles talking about "The Most EVIL Avenger Ever" or **** like that. Even if he gets resurrected, but he won't have more than a guest appearance every few years, and even that is very unlikely.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    I don't think it's even the infamous slap that is holding Hank back; I think it's the Ultimates. Ultimate Hank was a real POS. Now they're bringing the Ultimate Universe, or some derivative, back. Hank can be connected to a repeated pattern of abuse that his alternate counterpart did. Undeserved or not, casual fans associate Hank with domestic abuse. He'll never be a mainstay in a book again, because any appearance would come with a bunch of articles talking about "The Most EVIL Avenger Ever" or **** like that. Even if he gets resurrected, but he won't have more than a guest appearance every few years, and even that is very unlikely.
    This is a point. Hank definitely is tarred by association with his Ultimates portrayal, and unlike others who have similarly unflattering Ultimates versions (Cap, Widow, Hulk, Wanda & Pietro), there isn't really a 616 Hank to provide a counterpoint. We get monthly doses of a Cap who isn't a jack-booted jingoist thug, Wanda & Pietro who aren't incestuous, Hulk who isn't a cannibal rapist, etc.) which helps to sort of soften the blow, but Hank gets nothing but horrible (and, thankfully, Michael Douglas' much less reviled take).

Hank's "death" doesn't even feel like a death or permanent. It feels like he's just been removed from the world but could return. Especially since he's merged with Ultron. They'll bring him back as a bitter, crabby old man for synergy. The excuse being that merging with Ultron aged him up considerably. I'm far more worried about a character like Valkyrie staying dead for good then Hank.

Astonishing Member

The only way Hank Pym is coming back is if he's a murderous villain. Too many white male heroes so the only route is the dark side.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Make Death Great Again? Make Death Mean Something Again? I don't know, I'm not great with slogans. But if it means at least for the foreseeable future that Death isn't a revolving door for heroes, I'm all for it.

That said, I think I can safely say that all it takes for Hank to come back is a regime change. Someone will give the nod and Hank will be back. Not sure how. Maybe it's just his psyche, and he becomes like I.S.A.A.C. on Titan. Who can say? But he'll be back. They almost always come back in some form or another.

No character is truly completely dead, Marvel has to use them from time to time or the rights may eventually expire, and someone else may jump at the change to "steal" a Marvel name and use them (similarily to Marvel creating a Captain Marvel as soon as Fawcett rights expired). But that only warrants a small cameo once or twice a decade. And with Pym, perhaps even less. He's in the covers of Ultimate Invasion, in a recent period comic of 1960s Avengers vs. Kang, in the MCU, What If? Animated series; more that enough to keep the risk of expired rights at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's even more puzzling since Michael Douglas plays Hank in the Marvel movies like Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
    And he survived all three films!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The only way Hank Pym is coming back is if he's a murderous villain. Too many white male heroes so the only route is the dark side.
    Should have made Pymtron permanent instead the cowards let Ewing retcon it and made Pym persona non grata since to normal people Ant-Man is Scott Lang.