Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Kneel Before Zod Series By Joe Casey And Dan McDaid Coming In 2024

Announced at San Diego Comic Con 2023, Kneel before Zod unites the talents of writer (and surprise SDCC panelist) Joe Casey and artist Dan McDaid. The story appears to be set on Krypton, at a time before Jor and Lara-El detect its imminent destruction.

But this is not a time of peace for the great civilization. Krypton is at war; a violent invasion threatens the denizens of the planet, and its only hope may lie in the actions of its hardest and most brutal warriors. Warriors like Zod. Read more about the battle (plus what happened to Zod before it) in DC's official plot synopsis:

"General Zod has lost everything—his son, his wife, his empire—to an invading alien armada. Zod uses guerrilla tactics to destroy the invaders, while amassing the tools he’ll need to take his revenge on the family that put him in this position in the first place...the house of El."

Zod's reasons for hating Superman's birth family have varied across multiple iterations of Krypton's history. But this time, it looks like perhaps some of that hatred is warranted?
    https://www.thepopverse.com/zod-supe...sey-dan-mcdaid

I’m thinking Popverse has this wrong, and this is New Krypton which has been destroyed, not old Krypton. Zod losing his wife and son intrigues me, are they actually dead or have they abandoned him, perhaps to go join the Phaelosians?
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-22-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Action Comics #1060 will feature a sneak peek of the title. Casey stated he's writing a year's worth of stories for the series.

"If you love bad things happening to bad people, you'll love Kneel Before Zod," Casey said.

"There's going to be a lot of pain and suffering and violence," Casey said. "What everyone is saying about Superman being good and bright and wonderful, [Kneel Before Zod] is going to be the opposite."

The panelists stated DC has been working with Queen and Adam Lambert to cover a new version of Queen's classic hit, "Flash," with a new song title: "Zod."
    Hah can’t wait to hear that song!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I was tickled by Casey teleporting to sdcc straight outta 2002. He was my favorite current Superman writer until Johnson.

And yeah, it has to be the more recent Krypton. Before Superman was born wouldn't make sense
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

The image/cover is pretty sweet. Reminiscent of Conan ruminating on his throne.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I'm a little bummed that they seem to be blowing up Zod's life rather than going into the nitty gritty of New Krypton politics...but a Zod book should still be interesting.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oh dang dope announcement, always love a good villain antag story

A shame that this is not coming out till 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm a little bummed that they seem to be blowing up Zod's life rather than going into the nitty gritty of New Krypton politics...but a Zod book should still be interesting.
    Y’know I’m wondering if this is spinning out of the Superman event that’s coming next year. We know it’s Brainiac focused, Williamson/PKJ are involved, and you know what would make for an easy event that builds upon a Williamson plot? Kandor! Williamson had Clark and Zod split Kandor in half between the two in his Batman/Superman run. Maybe Brainiac goes after the two halves, and he succeeds in getting Zod’s, while also bottling Ursa and Lor too, but Kal manages to drive him off. Zod blames Kal for not helping him drive off Brainiac and this wants revenge on both Kal and Brainiac.

Really excited either way, have great hopes that Casey finally delivers on Zod’s potential as an evil Superman who has some depth to him.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

"General Zod has lost everything—his son, his wife, his empire—to an invading alien armada. Zod uses guerrilla tactics to destroy the invaders, while amassing the tools he’ll need to take his revenge on the family that put him in this position in the first place...the house of El."

I love the guerrilla tactics part.And revenge thriller to boot. I hope this is great.I been wanting something like berserk since i quit reading it after the author died.why can't these guys be written as just people who have done some **** instead ot some idiotic ideals nemesis? That bad things happen to bad people **** robs the book.of any intrigue.I don't believe in bad people and good people.I want good and bad action
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-22-2023 at 07:47 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Considering the title, I hope we don't get a lot of Donner nostalgia.

This sounds pretty interesting, might check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Well, it is his go to phrase, so he'll probably say it at least once .

Actually, what's the current status of Non?

Non-present. :Þ

Last I checked it was the phantom zone for Non.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Is it wrong to want to see Nam-ek just cause of his name?

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    He’s wearing his New 52 redesign and they’re building directly off of the work done with him post Rebirth, no reason to worry just yet. I need to go reread Casey’s run because I know he didn’t use a Kryptonian Zod, but his work with the Post Crisis Zod may offer some clues as to how he’ll approach Zod here.

Hasn’t shown up since the New 52. Right now the only named Kryptonian survivors from the Phantom Zone who have been used are Zod, Ursa, Lor, Xa, and Jax.