Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Didn't Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps have an entire arc where they battle Zod and his forces?
    Yes Venditti had the GLC fighting Zod. Stuff like that where Zod was building New Krypton up to be a major cosmic power was something I wanted to see, and perhaps Casey plans on pursuing that, only Zod doesn’t have his wife and son by his side anymore.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Didn't Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps have an entire arc where they battle Zod and his forces?
    I think it was Venditti in Hal & Pals.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Joe Casey? Ugh. No thanks. Joe Kelly, on the other hand...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Joe Casey? Ugh. No thanks. Joe Kelly, on the other hand...
    Joe Kelly's a great writer, and I loved chunks of his time on Superman, but he completely dropped the ball on his last big Superman vs Zod story giving, in my opinion, several years of build up a highly unsatisfying finish.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Who knows if that was his fault? Loeb got screwed over editorially when they pushed him to make the Imperiex storyline an event. Berganza had a habit of dicking writers over.

https://twitter.com/danmcdaid/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

That confirms Lor will be in the first issue if there was any doubt.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Who knows if that was his fault? Loeb got screwed over editorially when they pushed him to make the Imperiex storyline an event. Berganza had a habit of dicking writers over.

https://twitter.com/danmcdaid/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

That confirms Lor will be in the first issue if there was any doubt.

He looks young,like the age Jon SHOULD be.wonder if they will age him up to be a direct adversary to Jon(or more fun =KON )
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

https://www.cbr.com/kneel-before-zod...sey-interview/
    How is your rendition of Zod different than what we've seen before?

When I read up on what Zod's been doing lately, he seems to have gone a bit soft. He has a family, and he's casually hanging around with Superman, actually engaging in normal conversation. One time, he showed up like a farmer and welcomed Superman to make himself at home on his planet. That is not my Zod. So when they told me that they wanted to take him back to the savage Zod who wants nothing but to kill Superman, I knew I was the man for the job.

Will Superman show up at some point in Kneel Before Zod?

This series is mostly focused on Zod, although Superman may pop up here and there. Not necessarily in a continuity capacity, mind you, but more like a ghost that haunts Zod's mind. In that respect, Jor-El will make an appearance as well. But there's a razor-sharp focus on Zod, and we're going to tear up the cosmic DC Universe. I'm really looking forward to doing it.

It sounds like the Zod we're going to see in your series may have some serious psychological issues.

Like I said, he's gotten everything he thought he wanted, and it's just not working out for him. He's meant to be a soldier. Violence is his language, and when he can't speak, he doesn't know what to do with himself. Kneel Before Zod will give him an opportunity to speak his own language.

Is there a particular moment in Kneel Before Zod that you can't wait for fans to see?

In the first issue, Zod does something that, in my opinion, is horrific, evil, and emotionally bankrupt. I'm looking forward to readers seeing this play out. I don't want to give away too much, but I will say it has to do with his family. But that's just the first issue! It gets worse. But yeah, the sort of heel turn that he makes in the first issue is really going to be impactful.

I also want to mention that the artist on Kneel Before Zod is Dan McDaid. It's his first work for mainstream DC, and he's the biggest Superman fan you'll ever meet. His art is like Jack Kirby meets Keith Giffen, and he's so excited about this. It's rare these days to get a consistent artist on six issues, let alone 12, but Dan will be there for every issue. It's gonna be great and very cool.

Can you tease any other characters who are going to appear in Kneel Before Zod?

We're going to see some cosmic DC characters and a lot of different classic alien races. That's all I want to say because those happen in the back half of the first year. The first six issues are dealing with Zod, his home world, and his family and setting him up for the degradation of the narrative.

What can you tell us about the first story arc we'll be seeing in Kneel Before Zod?

The first section of the story basically dismantles everything previous writers have set up for Zod. His entire status quo is going to be remastered. It's a deconstruction of Zod, and I'm tearing his ass down. It's great fun and couldn't happen to a nicer guy. You know, that's the best part about writing a villainous character -- the worst you can do to him is not half as bad as what he deserves.
    All exciting stuff! This confirms it’s a 12 issue series and McDaid is drawing the whole thing. Beyond the Thanagarians and the Dominators, perhaps we might see the Khunds and Maxima too. Also I’ve got a theory that this is meant to get Zod into the place PKJ needs him to be for his story. If Zod loses his family and the Kandorians, perhaps that is what prompts him to seek out the Phaelosians. Zod hears of this Kryptonian warrior offshoot race that Kal has liberated and seeks them out to be his army. Then the final arc of PKJ’s run culminates in Superman having to fight for the Phaelosians again, this time to prevent them from being turn into the Fremen from Dune who serve God-Emperor Zod. Brings the whole thing full circle, Supes fought to free the Phaelosians from slavery, then he fights to stop them from becoming slavers.

That would be what, 20 issues away for PKJ? I'm not sure if he is locked down for that long.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    That would be what, 20 issues away for PKJ? I'm not sure if he is locked down for that long.
    He’s been open that he has a long term plan he wants to do. Now whether or not he actually gets to do it, that’s up to sales/editorial. Could be unrelated to his plans, though he has said he wants to have the ending of his run be about Zod and the Phaelosians, could be that editorial just wanted the changes Bendis made to Zod to be undone. Casey seems to think they were bad decisions though he’s refraining from outright saying that.

He's not being subtle about it though.

And I gotta say, the Phaelosians as Dune Fremen with God Emperor Zod is now the only finale to PKJ's run that I'll be able to accept.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If they are gonna use the Phaelosiams then howabout they use the 3 young super men,Kon,Jon,and Kenan,nothing would piss Zod off more than seeing none pure bloods around
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm actually surprised to have found that interview, with that corporate view of Zod, quite underwhelming. But I guess it's like, what can he really say now lol
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm actually surprised to have found that interview, with that corporate view of Zod, quite underwhelming. But I guess it's like, what can he really say now lol
    Guess you’ll have to see what the execution is like. In theory the Zods becoming frenemies with the Els sounds exciting. In practice… Bendis did nothing with it and everyone else clearly just wanted to go back to them being foes.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm surprised because the "nothing" part of it sounds like the point of a good setup. It was maybe less than six months ago in the story so you'd expect them to be pretty chill if Zod is gonna be basically reverting to the opposite. I'm hoping for a much better segue back to the status quo than what sounds like just needing a Bad Superman, but admittedly this is way more appealing with Lex off the board anyway.

And speaking of Lex I do like the idea of them doing a better version of Lexor with this.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Guess you’ll have to see what the execution is like. In theory the Zods becoming frenemies with the Els sounds exciting. In practice… Bendis did nothing with it and everyone else clearly just wanted to go back to them being foes.
    I never really got all those flashes of a future united House of El and Zod that always ended with the Legion seemingly attacking them.