Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Omni-Man vs a bunch of Manga Protags

Omni-Man attempts to kill a group of Shonen Protagonists, like he did in the Inviclbe show. To be clear, this is the Show's version of Omni-Man. Everyone is in character, not bloodlusted. Omni-Man's mission to kill them, they don't wanna die.

Fight starts in the same area that Omni-Man fought the Guardians in Episode 1, sized up to acomodate all the combatants to move around without stepping over each other.

If Omni-Man speedblitzes, run the fight a second time with his speedequalized to the fastest person on the opposing side.

If the characters all together would stomp him, then remove the strongest character on the protags side until you get to a scenario where Omni-Man can get at least one kill.

EDIt: It appears that I have massively overestimated Omni-Man's speed. As such I have revised the list of combatants in order to make something that is hopefully less of a stomp

Here are the combatants
    1. Son Goku (21st Budokai)
    2. Naruto Uzumaki (Pre-Pain Arc)
    3. Monkey D. Luffy (Pre-Timeskip)
    4. Ichigo Kurosaki (Hueco Mundo arc)
    5. Yusuke Urameshi (Pre-Sensui fight)
    6. Yuji Itadori (With Sukuna)
    7. Izuku Midoriya
    8. Ranma Saotome
    9. Tanjiro Kamado
    10. Natsu Dragneel (Original Series)
    11. Koro-Sensei
    12. Gon Freecss
    13. Inuyasha
    14. Jotaro Kujo
    15. Kenshiro (Pre-Muso Tensei)
    Last edited by Jcogginsa; 07-26-2023 at 01:46 PM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Wait, so they're all here at once?

Mash just beats up Omni-Man pretty easily and makes cream puffs for everyone?

Alita hits him with a vibration technique targeting his flight balance system and knocks him out? (Though technically the show hasn't introduced that weakness yet, so it's technically not canon at time of writing)

Luffy just beats him up with his ridiculous Gear 5 toon powers?

Someone strong holds him down for a second and Inuyasha BFRs him with the Meido Zangetsuha?

Toriko just beats him up normal style because he's strong enough to do that.

Nolan in the show is tough but there are more than a few people in this list that are more than capable of ending him by themselves much less as a group.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-26-2023 at 02:53 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

How fast is Omni-man on the show? Because I never really saw THAT awesome speed from him.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    How fast is Omni-man on the show? Because I never really saw THAT awesome speed from him.
    Season 2 isn't out yet so it's all pretty much as we ran through it in this thread a while back.

Given that some of the people in this match up have stuff like Mash's "be made 100x slower through time magic but then overcome it and still be able to blitz people by virtue of pure speed," Alita's "I perfectly counter and neutralise a million different sonic waves moving through someone's brain at the speed of sound in a few seconds," and Koro-Sensei's "I can do hyper precise stuff at Mach 20," stuff - I don't think Nolan can reasonably complete.

Like, for real, Mash just folds him up by himself.

Ah, jeez. That thread.

Yeah, Nolan doesn't really have any serious speed. Is he faster than humanly possible? For sure. Is he fast, compared to some of the people here? Based on his feats, he's glacially slow when placed against them (not flight speed, but fighting? Yeah). Like, Ranma can't hurt him maybe, but Nolan is never touching Ranma as the kid dances around him making stupid-faces. And Ranma isn't NEARLY the fastest person here, some of whom (as you note) are going to be able to put the hurt on Nolan.

The dude gets blitzed and wrecked, while most of the anima/manga sorts sit back, make commentary, check their nails, whatever.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Just curious, what's his magical resistance? I don't recall from the series 1, if there was a magical fight. There's a lot of magical distance attacks in the list. However, he's toast fighting all those at once.

Extraordinary Member

I could have sworn Omni-Man was considered fast based on being able to tag Red Rush.

(I also wasn't really sure how fast Mash was, So I'll replace him wth somone else)

EDIt:

also introduced another scenario into the OP
    Last edited by Jcogginsa; 07-26-2023 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I could have sworn Omni-Man was considered fast based on being able to tag Red Rush.

(I also wasn't really sure how fast Mash was, So I'll replace him wth somone else)

EDIt:

also introduced another scenario into the OP
    As outlined in the other thread, the whole Red Rush thing is bit of an outlier. In both the comics and the TV show, Red Rush has the whole "stopping crimes elsewhere in the city so fast that his girlfriend doesn't notice he's gone until she realises he's suddenly changed into his hero outfit,"

This is, essentially, Rush's only real feat in the comics because he dies later that issue and does nothing else beyond featuring very minorly in the Reboot?! arc. In the comics, Omni-man rushes him first and kills him before he can react, which kind of tracks that he was blindsided and didn't get the chance to do anything. So we never really see Omni-Man compare to him one-to-one. They have a very brief tustle in the Reboot?! arc wherein both of them tag each other in the background of a fight so it's hardly conclusive.

In the show, Rush blitzes him a couple of times and then Nolan manages to snatch him on his like fifth attempt. Then, in the time it takes Omni-Man to crush his head and for the other Guardians of the Globe to move like... a few steps to try and help him - Red Rush punches Omni-Man like... dozens and dozens of times, implying that there is a highly significant speed differential between them.

So while it suggests Omni-Man has some kind of enhanced speed, and his other much less impressive feats support that, he's not on the level of Red Rush's singular really impressive feat.

Conversely, many of the manga characters on show here have wildly better libraries of speed feats to draw upon. As a guy who's gone on record as pushing "Viltrumites have some level of decent combat speed actually," I still don't think you could make case for Nolan being as fast in combat as any of the following characters if you were to chop it up feat for feat:

1. Son Goku (King Piccolo Saga) (I'd need to see exactly how fast this but if it's a post Tao Pai Pai (as dumb and curve wrecking as I think that feat is) Goku should be quicker.)
    2. Naruto Uzumaki (No Boruto)
    3. Monkey D. Luffy
    4. Ichigo Kurosaki (Final Getsuga Tensho version)
    5. Yusuke Urameshi
    7. Izuku Midoriya
    8. Yoh Asakura
    9. Gash Bell (Original Series)
    10. Ranma Saotome
    11. Tanjiro Kamado
    12. Meliodas (Original Series)
    13. Natsu Dragneel (Not sure on this one, I don't think Fairy Tail has great speed feats but I'm honestly not familiar enough to comment.)
    14. Negi Springfield (Original Series)
    16. Koro-Sensei
    17. Alita
    18. Toriko (Pre-timeskip)
    20. Gon Freecss (Adult Form)
    22. Vash the Stampede
    24. Shinra Kusakabe (No Shinrabanshoman) (Depends if you count lightspeed or not)
    25. Kenshiro

With all of these characters, I would argue that there is a case for them being able to blitz Nolan without much issue. They might have a hard time hurting him in some cases but they're not going to have a problem hitting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    In the show, Rush blitzes him a couple of times and then Nolan manages to snatch him on his like fifth attempt.
    Even in this scene, for me, it's just the usual Speedster PIS. In the scene, while Omni-man is clearly faster than the Guardians, he cannot even track Red Rush. Rush hits him, is gone, and THEN Omni-man looks in that direction.

Him getting his hands on Rush feels to me like nothing more than the usual 'slower character sticks out arm or hand or sword and the speedster inexplicably runs directly into it' - see 99% of fights with a speedster where the speedster loses against a slower opponent for further examples of this.

Which is pretty much textbook PIS.

Even writers who grasp speed gaps are not immune to this. I've never seen the full Eternals movie, but I've seen the fights between Makkari and Ikaris, and Makkari's feats, and what's this, there's the same BS. The writers agreed it was a little weird and then tried to come up with a reason why Ikaris could grab Makkari in interviews, but their own explanations didn't track at all.

Regarding Nolan's demonstrated speed in the show, for me his most clear-cut speedfeat (as noted in That Thread) is when he's beating up Mark and there's a moment where stuff is moving in extreme slow...motion around them. Even Mark. But Omni-man is still looking around at normal speed, and then does things in a blur...while everything else is slo-mo. It's short-lived, but it's there, and demonstrates speed well-in-excess of human possibility. Enough to take on bullet-timers, I would say (the slo-mo, maybe not bullet-timer depending, but the 'I am a blur in a slo-mo world', sure).

But it's not nearly on the level of people in this thread. I don't know all of them, but the ones I do know would look at that level of speed and just kind of think it was pitiful.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

King Piccolo is post Tao Pai Pai, with at least two significant power ups in that time span

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    King Piccolo is post Tao Pai Pai, with at least two significant power ups in that time span
    Then Goku is well too fast for Nolan from the TV show as well.

Extraordinary Member

In an effort to make this less of an obvious stomp, I have edited the list of combatants. Here is the new list

1. Son Goku (21st Budokai)
    2. Naruto Uzumaki (Pain Arc)
    3. Monkey D. Luffy (Pre-Timeskip)
    4. Ichigo Kurosaki (Hueco Mundo arc)
    5. Yusuke Urameshi (Pre-Sensui fight)
    6. Yuji Itadori (With Sukuna)
    7. Izuku Midoriya
    8. Ranma Saotome
    9. Tanjiro Kamado
    10. Natsu Dragneel (Original Series)
    11. Koro-Sensei
    12. Gon Freecss
    13. Inuyasha
    14. Jotaro Kujo
    15. Kenshiro (Pre-Muso Tensei)

But it's not nearly on the level of people in this thread. I don't know all of them, but the ones I do know would look at that level of speed and just kind of think it was pitiful.
    And, critically, some of those fast people have damage well in excess of what's needed to make Nolan hurt.

Thinking about the durability thing, Nolan was largely unhurt by most things.

Highest feat is likely the Hammer:

Most impressive given that he was hit twice and only got a nosebleed from it. However, let's look at our "Too Fast" list and see who has damage output above that:

1. Son Goku (King Piccolo Saga) - King Piccolo was on the level of "obliterate most of a city with some small expenditure of power," and Goku did beat him but Goku also didn't show firepower to match him. He might be able to mess with Omni-Man given how hard he can hit at this point but Omni-Man might just be able to outlast him.

2. Naruto Uzumaki (No Boruto) - Naruto can spam attacks that dwarf the Hammer and has access to a lot of esoteric stuff on top of that. Might take a while but he'll do it.

3. Monkey D. Luffy - Luffy hits absurdly hard, Haki bypasses durability normally and Ryou is more advanced form of that. He can just shower Nolan with blows until he goes down. Also, Gear 5 breaks all the rules of durability to some extent so I am pretty sure Nolan will be hurt by him much worse than he would expect.

4. Ichigo Kurosaki (Final Getsuga Tensho version) - Dude obliterates small mountains by swinging in their general direction and is a million times faster than Nolan. Easy clap here.

5. Yusuke Urameshi - With the powerups he got from the Demon World Tournament arc, he blows away mountains with his energy attacks, punches people into the stratosphere with minimal effort and is much, much faster than Nolan. Might take a while but I think his damage output is high enough that he can kill Nolan before he gases out.

7. Izuku Midoriya - I don't think he quite hits hard enough. He can certainly blitz with Gear Shift and Full Cowl but I don't think he can hurt Nolan enough to actually kill him before Deku runs out of energy.

8. Yoh Asakura - Assuming he has Amidamaru rather than the Spirit of the Earth, I don't think he does enough damage. No idea how Nolan would interact with an Oversoul but I don't think he can be hurt by it outside of some kind of spiritual attack damage rules or something. Yoh can blitz all day but Shamen are specifically built around having finite resources so I imagine he'd run dry before Nolan goes down.

9. Gash Bell (Original Series) - Sidestepping the whole Kiyomaru casting angle; Gash shoves mountains around physically, wrestles with people who outmuscle black holes, critically wounds city-sized giants with his biggest attacks and has taken mountain erasing attacks to the face without dying. He's a lot faster and has a lot of energy to throw around. Nolan will be hurting but given that Gash can likely contest him in raw strength as well, this is a messy one.

10. Ranma Saotome - Trivially faster but doesn't hit nearly hard enough and, because Nolan only has physical attacks, he's not really got the Hiryuu Shoten-ha on deck for this. It'll take days but Ranma will tire and Nolan will maul him.

11. Tanjiro Kamado - Can't hurt him, eventually tires and dies easily.

12. Meliodas (Original Series) - Hits incredibly hard, especially with his endgame abilities that allow him to match The One in combat. Effortlessly quicker and has regen on top of that. I don't think Nolan can win here.

13. Natsu Dragneel - No comment, I think not enough gun but others will know more.

14. Negi Springfield (Original Series) - Hard to say. He's well faster than him even outside of Great Thunder In Heaven but his biggest hits cost him a fair amount of energy and he doesn't have a limitless supply. Tota Kanoe would have an easier time. I think Negi could likely take it, he's resourceful enough to manage his energy for an attrition battle.

16. Koro-Sensei - Waaaay too fast but doesn't hit that hard as I recall. I think he has a suicide move that shattered the moon or something? It's been a long time. I favour Nolan on gut instinct here.

17. Alita - See my previous comments about Viltrumite vulnerability to vibrations in their flight centre. That's technically not canon in the animated show yet but, if we consider it a strat, then Alita is almost tailor-made to debilitate Nolan.

18. Toriko (Pre-timeskip) - Way too fast, arguably a lot stronger, likely mauls him.

20. Gon Freecss (Adult Form) - Way too fast but doesn't hit... that hard... I think he might die before he kills Nolan depending on how we interpret his Nen Condition functioning in this scenario. Hits Nolan a lot, likely hurts him a bit but I don't think he can put him down.

22. Vash the Stampede - Waaaay too fast again. The Angel Arm at max hits harder than the Hammer so that works. Or he can use black hole bullets which... should work?

24. Shinra Kusakabe (No Shinrabanshoman) - Even with lightspeed, doesn't hit nearly hard enough. Nolan eventually grabs him and it's done.

25. Kenshiro - Much too fast and I can't imagine that Hokuto Shinken wouldn't work on Viltrumites as they're very close to human in terms of physiological structure. Phase fist, sever his nerves, take him to pieces.

So yeah, that's a lot of them that could likely solo.

Even writers who grasp speed gaps are not immune to this. I've never seen the full Eternals movie, but I've seen the fights between Makkari and Ikaris, and Makkari's feats, and what's this, there's the same BS. The writers agreed it was a little weird and then tried to come up with a reason why Ikaris could grab Makkari in interviews, but their own explanations didn't track at all.
    I hadn't really thought about it. I feel like I just assumed he was at her speed or close. Or maybe just being used to that convention now (super speed is very good until its up against a hyped up villain, in which case its actually usually a bad thing as the speedster becomes both overconfident and constantly up close and always not quite fast enough) as the speedster gets Worfed out of consciousness/existence
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Not being fully familiar with the all the characters, I'm going assume Nik knows what he's talking about. I know my opinions about the few I know match up well with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it. I feel like I just assumed he was at her speed or close. Or maybe just being used to that convention now (super speed is very good until its up against a hyped up villain, in which case its actually usually a bad thing as the speedster becomes both overconfident and constantly up close and always not quite fast enough) as the speedster gets Worfed out of consciousness/existence
    Completely understand.

So, Eternals. Let's dig into that.

Makkari consistently demonstrates vast amounts of superspeed far in excess of Ikaris' own speed. Yes, Ikaris flies fast and shows some speed, but that's about it. Meanwhile, Makkari is blink-moving groups of people into lines from big distances and so forth.

Makkari then fights Ikaris. He's completely overwhelmed. She blitzes him, zips around him, tossing him around while he vainly fires eyebeams at places she was. She even grabs him and drags him around for a bit - they've come to GRIPS and he still can't deal with her speed. Basically, she's all over him and he can really do nothing about it. She's landing all kinds of stuff, and he's getting...nothing.

Then we get this explanation from the writers. 'Well, Ikaris realizes he needs to stop attacking Makkari where he feels she is, and start attacking where he feels she will be.' That's paraphrased, but basically sums up their point.

Ikaris then grabs Makkari by the throat.

This is basically 'Spider-man sticks out an arm and Quicksilver runs into it', or the myriad of other speedsters getting taken out by people well-beneath them.

Makkari has demonstrated massive superspeed reflexes, far above those of Ikaris. Sure, Ikaris can say 'I figure she'll come straight in and I'll stick my hand out for her to run into.' Why is it that Makkari - running towards him, but with reflexes that allow her to easy navigate difficult terrain at enormous superspeed - cannot see his arm...slowly...reaching...out...and just say 'eh, maybe not', change her direction, run to the side, and kick him in the nuts sixteen times?

It's the usual PIS. "I know where you're going, and for...Reasons™...you can't react to my vastly slower moving body...so you'll run straight into my hand/fist/arm/sword/whatever".
    Why are we here?