Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why is the Punisher so appealing to the military and the police?

This is something that I was wondering about. What makes Frank Castle so appealing to military service members and the police force?

The Punisher is a very rightwing-libertarian fantasy of just pushing past the bureaucracy that normally chains policemen and soldiers and delivering raw justice with your own hands. Of course he appeals to cops and soldiers. He is them, unchained. Or how they envision themselves being if unchained.

The power fantasy of being able to murder people you deem degenerate or undesirable without facing any consequences. The same reason there are people who worship Travis Bickle despite the movie making it clear he's a racist, deranged individual.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That's an American problem and it's because you yankees have an unhealthy gun obsession.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    This is something that I was wondering about. What makes Frank Castle so appealing to military service members and the police force?
    Is this a trick question?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That's an American problem and it's because you yankees have an unhealthy gun obsession.
    Murdering "degenerates" is kinda a universal Fascist wetdream honestly.

Because he's white?

A certain segment of Americans do. I'm tired of silly generalization of all Americans due to a certain loud demographic in this country. I say this as an minority in the USA.

Edit:

And like someone said, the Punisher would be a symbol to any fascists worldwide not just Americans. Look at parts of Europe or fascists in Brazil.
    Last edited by Golden Guardian of Good; 07-26-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Captain America is no fan.... (from Civil War series)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Predictable or not, some of these responses are hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    It's similar to Batman as Punisher is without powers. Unlike Batman, Punisher is a more plausible take and his status as an ex soldier draws some fans in. Plus people do believable in the death penalty and feel like the Justice department isn't doing enough.

Astonishing Member

Then why is the Warrior Cop Mentality upfront and present even in places like France especially since the recent slate of race riots? You can't all blame it on America when you have European Cops doing the same and executing people in cold blood without trial (and lying about it).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-26-2023 at 12:42 PM.

Mighty Member

It's a power fantasy, they see the Punisher as the perfect cop, a symbol for everything they stand for.

I mean, I like the Punisher, but for different reasons.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The irony is if Spider-Man, Cap or any of the other superpowered heroes treated the Punisher like the Punisher treats crooks, he'd be dead and buried.

This became synonymous with the Iraqi Special Forces.

Our snipers training them read comics and loved the symbol and put it on their flack jackets. They shared their comic books with the Iraqis and they came to like the symbol. Iraqi Army and police forces saw their Special Forces using the symbol and adapted it.