Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The 800 Issue Club!

Well, by this point we lose the powerhouses of SUPERMAN and BATMAN.

DETECTIVE COMICS (1937)
    ACTION COMICS→ACTION COMICS WEEKLY→ACTION COMICS (1938)
    FLASH COMICS→THE FLASH (1940)***
    WONDER WOMAN (1942)***

***Only because of legacy numbering

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Well, by this point we lose the powerhouses of SUPERMAN and BATMAN.

DETECTIVE COMICS (1937)
    ACTION COMICS→ACTION COMICS WEEKLY→ACTION COMICS (1938)
    FLASH COMICS→THE FLASH (1940)***
    WONDER WOMAN (1942)***

***Only because of legacy numbering
    That we lost SUPERMAN and BATMAN due to the stupidity that was the New 52 really hurts. It's a wonder they haven't tried to bring those back since they were closer to 1000 than any other titles besides DETECTIVE and ACTION.

It didn't have to be like this. I understand that DiDio felt he needed to start at number one with everything. To play devil's advocate, he was probably fighting for his life at the company and this was his hail Mary pass--if it worked he would survive, if it didn't he'd be kicked out--higher ideals don't matter when your own survival is on the line.

They could have done a twin numbering like they'd been doing with ADVENTURE COMICS--put the new number in bold and have the legacy number appear faintly behind it--but maybe DiDio correctly predicted that the speculator idiots would not go for this--it had to be new number ones without question.

When I think of that moment in time, I think of this old dude (probably my age) at a comic shop I had dropped into (looking for those Retroactive issues) and he was joyously anticipating all these new number ones he was going to buy. It's guys like that that this re-numbering was for. He would probably buy multiple copies of every new number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That we lost SUPERMAN and BATMAN due to the stupidity that was the New 52 really hurts. It's a wonder they haven't tried to bring those back since they were closer to 1000 than any other titles besides DETECTIVE and ACTION.

It didn't have to be like this. I understand that DiDio felt he needed to start at number one with everything. To play devil's advocate, he was probably fighting for his life at the company and this was his hail Mary pass--if it worked he would survive, if it didn't he'd be kicked out--higher ideals don't matter when your own survival is on the line.

They could have done a twin numbering like they'd been doing with ADVENTURE COMICS--put the new number in bold and have the legacy number appear faintly behind it--but maybe DiDio correctly predicted that the speculator idiots would not go for this--it had to be new number ones without question.

When I think of that moment in time, I think of this old dude (probably my age) at a comic shop I had dropped into (looking for those Retroactive issues) and he was joyously anticipating all these new number ones he was going to buy. It's guys like that that this re-numbering was for. He would probably buy multiple copies of every new number one.
    I have all 52 #1's. But I'd much prefer they stuck with the original numbering.

Fantastic Member

Absolutely spot on assessment Sir. I sold my DC collection when the renumber garbage was announced. Made a good buck on it. I’m old and traditional in this stuff. The 11 volumes for every Marvel book, I simply pile them in boxes after the original run. Was done with DC after that travashamockery..

Ultimate Member

That is why they do all this restarting.

You have a segment of fans that will BUY all those first issues-no matter WHO the book is about.

When New 52 started that was about the ONLY time stores near me ordered Grifter. That was the only time anyone wanted the book. Which is why that is a rather hard book to find in the bins-it would be the hardest one to find if not for Static Shock. Who is hard to find floppies and even his trade that was going for about $100 around here.

Spectacular Member

FYI: The October solicits revealed Superman will be double numbered at #7/850. It's unknown if this is a one-time money grab or will continue.

It's permanent, they're finally doing what Marvel have been doing for the last five years - even if a book isn't legacy numbered, it'll display it's legacy number. Flash and Wonder Woman's relaunches are both LGY #801.

Batman just did the same thing Superman's doing, for issue 900. The latest issue is #136... LEGACY #901.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-28-2023 at 02:50 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's permanent, they're finally doing what Marvel have been doing for the last five years - even if a book isn't legacy numbered, it'll display it's legacy number. Flash and Wonder Woman's relaunches are both LGY #801.

Batman just did the same thing Superman's doing, for issue 900. The latest issue is #136... LEGACY #901.
    Then I hope they do it with everything and not just the big guns.

Then I hope they do it with everything and not just the big guns.
    Legacy numbering is awesome and I love it. However, in DC's (and Marvel's) defense, sometimes finding the proper flow of issues and run can be complicated. Flash and Wonder Woman are low hanging fruit. Which Green Lantern runs would be included and would Alan Scott's run be included? Justice League? Titans and Legion had their "Hardcover/Softcover" period where some stories were reprinted.

It could be done, but it's guaranteed that any counting would face negative criticism.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Legacy numbering is awesome and I love it. However, in DC's (and Marvel's) defense, sometimes finding the proper flow of issues and run can be complicated. Flash and Wonder Woman are low hanging fruit. Which Green Lantern runs would be included and would Alan Scott's run be included? Justice League? Titans and Legion had their "Hardcover/Softcover" period where some stories were reprinted.

It could be done, but it's guaranteed that any counting would face negative criticism.
    I'm of the opinion that the title should be exactly the same to count.

UNLESS there was a previous title change when the numbering continued as is, as in FLASH COMICS/THE FLASH.

UNLESS there was a previous title change when the numbering continued as is, as in FLASH COMICS/THE FLASH.
    Then there are those who would consider a literal "THE Green Lantern" by Grant Morrison not counting towards legacy numbering of "Green Lantern" excessive nitpicking plus the acceptability of the preceding Green LanternS book.

And then there is NEW Teen Titans and Titans coming after Teen Titans.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Then there are those who would consider a literal "THE Green Lantern" by Grant Morrison not counting towards legacy numbering of "Green Lantern" excessive nitpicking plus the acceptability of the preceding Green LanternS book.

And then there is NEW Teen Titans and Titans coming after Teen Titans.
    I'm kind of one of those people, which I realize may be unreasonable.

Green Lantern should include Alan's series, yes. It was just called Green Lantern, just like Hal's book. As for later runs, count anything that's just Green Lantern, but not Green Lantern Corps. Green Lanterns and The Green Lantern both count. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps would count as part of GLC rather than GL.

For Teen Titans, New Teen Titans counts, Tales of the Teen Titans does not. If a Titans and Teen Titans book exist simultaneously, then it's TT that counts. The 1999 Titans book counts, as does the current one. The late 2000s run and Rebirth's don't though, as the concurrent Teen Titans runs are longer. Captain America used the same logic, counting Captain America Sam Wilson and his later book Symbol of Truth, instead of Captain America Steve Rogers and Sentinel of Liberty, because they ran longer.

For Justice League, whatever is the main book counts.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-30-2023 at 03:07 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

I think reprints are counted. I think they were with X-Men.

Green Lantern should only count any title with only GL on it.

GLC should count GLC books.

You can always do a legacy number for each person.

Kyle 131 as GL and whatever number he had as a White Lantern.

Jessica & Simon's 52 issue run.

John's GL Mosaic and Redjack's run for 30

Now Lost Army I am not sure where that mini would count under.