Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Question Will Near Extinction Always Be The X-Men's Status Quo?

Is this the prime status quo for our Merry Mutants?

It seems like for nearly two decades this is what the books always revert to.

Just like Peter reverting back to his young bachelor days or Batman returning to his GrimDark days is this what readers and audiences associate with the X-Men?

So much so that every 3-4 years whatever gains have been made in storytelling will it continually revert to this?

If so, are readers willing to keep reading if the end is always the same? Can this endgame be told in more interesting ways or should it be put to bed?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

Just like Peter reverting back to his young bachelor days or Batman returning to his GrimDark days is this what readers and audiences associate with the X-Men?

So much so that every 3-4 years whatever gains have been made in storytelling will it continually revert to this?

If so, are readers willing to keep reading if the end is always the same? Can this endgame be told in more interesting ways or should it be put to bed?
    It usually isn’t their status quo, but it’s definitely usually their comeback story.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

It will always be about a minority that is hated and feared and them to trying and prove they are heroes.

It will not always about that extinction, but they will always have radicals who want them out of the picture.

Basically, just like the real world many people want gays to rot in hell and colored people have always been treated different and some radicals will do their best to make/keep that real.

So to my point of view, it is quite a realistic showing of how some people can be when their darkest side rules and what the consequences are for the others.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    It will always be about a minority that is hated and feared and them to trying and prove they are heroes.

It will not always about that extinction, but they will always have radicals who want them out of the picture.

Basically, just like the real world many people want gays to rot in hell and colored people have always been treated different and some radicals will do their best to make/keep that real.

So to my point of view, it is quite a realistic showing of how some people can be when their darkest side rules and what the consequences are for the others.
    But there is a positive improvement in tolerance and treatment of various minorities in real life, compared to 5 years ago or 10 years ago, etc., but there is no such improvement for mutants, even thought they saved the world countless times, the world is still happy to see them all dead. Personally, I'm tired of all this grim-dark and extinction, there is enough of bad things happening in real world, I don't want to also read about it in comics, so I would no longer read x-books after this Gala.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    But there is a positive improvement in tolerance and treatment of various minorities in real life, compared to 5 years ago or 10 years ago, etc., but there is no such improvement for mutants, even thought they saved the world countless times, the world is still happy to see them all dead. Personally, I'm tired of all this grim-dark and extinction, there is enough of bad things happening in real world, I don't want to also read about it in comics, so I would no longer read x-books after this Gala.
    Lol. This isn’t even the worse thing that’s ever happened to the X-Men and your already checking out. Were you an x-fan before the Krakoa era. Like 80s through 2010s?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 07-28-2023 at 08:38 AM.

The improvements are still threatened a lot. In Italy, the literal fascists in powers are coming back on parenting rights. Trans people are still threatened and conservatives are pushing back a lot against them. The police is killing kids in the streets in France because of their origins and skin colors.
    While I prefer stories of hope and positivity like Krakoa, it's not unnecessary that all that positivity is still heavily threatened.

I think we'll always see this element coming back in some form, the near extinction. Krakoa has been the most promising of recoveries though so hopefully each time mutantkind recovers and rebounds, things look brighter and brighter. As others said the "hated and feared" will always be there because without it the story is basically over, but hopefully we get it in more and more creative ways.

The good news is the Fall of X era is short and they made sure to tell us that. We'll see what's on the other side but I'm willing to hold on for dear life until we get to January lol.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Unfortunately it probably will. I don't think today's writers know any different than to portray baseline humanity as 90-95% homicidal, anti-mutant racists. And that other 5-10% aren't really portrayed as pro-mutant...just as they don't care one way or another. We need writers who can get into better, more nuanced and complex story telling. We need to see that pendulum of anti-mutant hate swing the other way for a good long while with the majority not caring about if someone is a mutant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I disagree with this...it should NOT be about always being hated and feared. X-Factor...after the Fall of The Mutants story line were considered heroes. The X-Men in the same story line were believed to have died as heroes protecting the world.

I have said any times WoTR could have been a turning point for mutant/human relations by making the mutants still on Earth and not in the Age of X-Man reality more prominent and fighting alongside the Avengers and others against the invaders instead of isolating them to a single small area of NYC.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-28-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Lol. This isn’t even the worse thing that’s ever happened to the X-Men and your already checking out. Were you an x-fan before the Krakoa era. Like 80s through 2010s?
    I've started reading with Messiah Complex and then read back the previous years. And read ever since. Yes, it is not the worst, but something like Decimation was easier to stomach, as it was a momentous event. It happened, and then the books were dealing with consequences. But here there was supposedly 3 years of confrontations between Orchis and Krakoa, and somehow Krakoans were still completely unprepared. It is like all mutants became naive idiots, first they were caught off-guard by Sinister, and now by Orchis. And it is probably also a fatigue after reading dark-grim year after year. I hoped what Krakoa Era would be about mutants finally being happy and safe and having some fun adventures and superheroing instead of constantly fighting to survive. And I also dislike how Orchis is not actually fighting against evil mutants and don't use some actual crimes committed by some of the evil mutants to paint them all as evil, instead they themselves commit all kinds of crimes and kill countless humans, and then blame all of it on mutants. So, with all of it it is enough for me. Unless Marvel make a quick reverse of the situation I would not read x-books anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    The improvements are still threatened a lot. In Italy, the literal fascists in powers are coming back on parenting rights. Trans people are still threatened and conservatives are pushing back a lot against them. The police is killing kids in the streets in France because of their origins and skin colors.
    While I prefer stories of hope and positivity like Krakoa, it's not unnecessary that all that positivity is still heavily threatened.
    Of course there is always something that could be improved, but still there is a visible progress. But for mutants there is no progress at all, more like regress with each year.

Extraordinary Member

As long as Marvel thinks they should be trying to squeeze 6-12 titles out of the X-Men concept they will need to rely on this kind of high stakes that can impact every character on the same level.

Of course there is always something that could be improved, but still there is a visible progress. But for mutants there is no progress at all, more like regress with each year.
    But we've seen progression over the years. But every regression is very brutal indeed and frustrating. Just like in the real world, but exagerated to the point of near extinction, of course, because comics.

This one really seems temporary though, so I'm just waiting to see what's next and enjoy the character stories in the various books.

I've started reading with Messiah Complex and then read back the previous years. And read ever since. Yes, it is not the worst, but something like Decimation was easier to stomach, as it was a momentous event. It happened, and then the books were dealing with consequences. But here there was supposedly 3 years of confrontations between Orchis and Krakoa, and somehow Krakoans were still completely unprepared. It is like all mutants became naive idiots, first they were caught off-guard by Sinister, and now by Orchis. And it is probably also a fatigue after reading dark-grim year after year. I hoped what Krakoa Era would be about mutants finally being happy and safe and having some fun adventures and superheroing instead of constantly fighting to survive. And I also dislike how Orchis is not actually fighting against evil mutants and don't use some actual crimes committed by some of the evil mutants to paint them all as evil, instead they themselves commit all kinds of crimes and kill countless humans, and then blame all of it on mutants. So, with all of it it is enough for me. Unless Marvel make a quick reverse of the situation I would not read x-books anymore.

I agree with you.. these mutant slaughters are a) same old same old b) lazy c) demotivating.

I donīt agree with your conclusion.. I want to know about the come back but I hope they donīt repeat it again in 2026 or so...
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Extraordinary Member

You guys would have hated The Empire Strike Back

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You guys would have hated The Empire Strike Back
    No, we would have hated The Empire Strike Back if this was the only Star Wars told every month for the better part of 20 years.

No, I think that's still "The Mansion"

Status quo is: X-Men are fighting for the world that hates and fears them; be it bigots, or more militant mutants that take the x-men for race traitors. "The mansion" has repeated itself in Whedon's run, Aaron's run, Bendis's run, Guggenheim's run. That's still the mean.

Taking it as status quo, we can chart the two furthermost positions from it: Mutant heaven (House of M universe, X Corp, Utopia, Age of X-Man, Krakoa) and Mutant Hell (DOFP, Age of Apocalypse, Decimation, Age of X, Fall of X). These are aberrant states. Not uninteresting states, and even sustainable ones, but certainly not the meat and potatoes stuff.

We've been on Krakoa for a while, enough to forget that it is radical, as far as X-Men are concerned. And yes, by needs of drama, a whole society of mutants must face something worthy of a society in terms of challenge. (ie an exodus, invasion, genocide, etc.) That's how we wound up with several kaijus attacking Krakoa--how else do you threaten an island?