Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Like I said in my previous post, I'm a bit confused regarding Elemental damage, but I'm going with it being controlled by Ego, but using Agility to hit.

There's some stuff I simplified or didn't explain (like Weird) because it would take too long.
    Cost always comes out of Focus points.
    "Non-Com" stands for Non combat checks.
    1 space is 5 feet, so speed 5 means the character can move 25 feet per round. A round is 5 seconds.

In retrospect, I could have easily gone up to rank 5 or even 6 with Rich, and given him some Tactics powers, but this seems pretty close.

Nova (Prime)

Size: Average
    Occupation: Military (Nova Corps) I could have gone with Law Enforcement instead.
    Origin: Weird Science

Traits

Battle Ready (+30 Focus)
    Connections: Military (Nova Corps)
    Situational Awareness (Edge in Initiative)
    Weird
    Combat Reflexes (2 reactions)
    Determination (No Trouble on rolls when Demoralized)
    Famous (Cosmic war hero)
    Tech Reliance: Helmet (Environmental Protection, Uncanny 1)

Tags

Authority (Nova Corps)
    Heroic
    Linguist (Tech -- Universal Translator)
    Public Identity

Abilities

Melee +3 [Defense 13; Damage ×6 +3; Non-Com 5]
    Agility +4 [Defense 14; Damage ×4 +4; Non-Com 4]
    Resilience +4 [Defense 14; Non-Com 4]
    Vigilance +3 [Defense 13; Non- Com]
    Ego +5 [Defense 15; Damage ×6 +5; Non-Com 7]
    Logic +1 [Defense 11; Damage ×4 +1; Non-Com 1]

Health: 120 [DR -3]
    Focus: 120 [DR -1]
    Initiative: 3E

Speed: Run(5); Climb(3); Swim(3); Jump(3); Flight (20/1000)

Powers

Basic
    Discipline 2 (+2 Ego Damage multiplier; +2 non-combat checks)
    Environmental Protection (can survive space)
    Flight 2 (flight speed 20 on combat/1000 of of combat)
    Inspiration (Ally in earshot gets an edge for the round)
    Mighty 2 (like Discipline, but for Melee; can lift "Huge" objects)
    Sturdy 3 ( - 3 to enemy health damage multiplier)
    Uncanny 1 (-1 to enemy focus damage multiplier)

Elemental (Force) Set
    Force Barrage (cost:15 Half damage to any enemy within 10 squares who fails Ego vs Resilience check)
    Force Barrier (cost:5 Creates a wall)
    Force Blast (cost:5+ ranged attack +1 too damage multiplier per 2 points focus)
    Force Burst (ranged attack)
    Force Protection 2 (cost:10 Personal force field absorbs 20 points damage)
    Force Sphere (cost:10 Envelopes within 20 squares, absorbs 20 points damage)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Like I said in my previous post, I'm a bit confused regarding Elemental damage, but I'm going with it being controlled by Ego, but using Agility to hit.

There's some stuff I simplified or didn't explain (like Weird) because it would take too long.
    Cost always comes out of Focus points.
    "Non-Com" stands for Non combat checks.
    1 space is 5 feet, so speed 5 means the character can move 25 feet per round. A round is 5 seconds.

In retrospect, I could have easily gone up to rank 5 or even 6 with Rich, and given him some Tactics powers, but this seems pretty close.

Nova (Prime)

Size: Average
    Occupation: Military (Nova Corps) I could have gone with Law Enforcement instead.
    Origin: Weird Science

Traits

Battle Ready (+30 Focus)
    Connections: Military (Nova Corps)
    Situational Awareness (Edge in Initiative)
    Weird
    Combat Reflexes (2 reactions)
    Determination (No Trouble on rolls when Demoralized)
    Famous (Cosmic war hero)
    Tech Reliance: Helmet (Environmental Protection, Uncanny 1)

Tags

Authority (Nova Corps)
    Heroic
    Linguist (Tech -- Universal Translator)
    Public Identity

Abilities

Melee +3 [Defense 13; Damage ×6 +3; Non-Com 5]
    Agility +4 [Defense 14; Damage ×4 +4; Non-Com 4]
    Resilience +4 [Defense 14; Non-Com 4]
    Vigilance +3 [Defense 13; Non- Com]
    Ego +5 [Defense 15; Damage ×6 +5; Non-Com 7]
    Logic +1 [Defense 11; Damage ×4 +1; Non-Com 1]

Health: 120 [DR -3]
    Focus: 120 [DR -1]
    Initiative: 3E

Speed: Run(5); Climb(3); Swim(3); Jump(3); Flight (20/1000)

Powers

Basic
    Discipline 2 (+2 Ego Damage multiplier; +2 non-combat checks)
    Environmental Protection (can survive space)
    Flight 2 (flight speed 20 on combat/1000 of of combat)
    Inspiration (Ally in earshot gets an edge for the round)
    Mighty 2 (like Discipline, but for Melee; can lift "Huge" objects)
    Sturdy 3 ( - 3 to enemy health damage multiplier)
    Uncanny 1 (-1 to enemy focus damage multiplier)

Elemental (Force) Set
    Force Barrage (cost:15 Half damage to any enemy within 10 squares who fails Ego vs Resilience check)
    Force Barrier (cost:5 Creates a wall)
    Force Blast (cost:5+ ranged attack +1 too damage multiplier per 2 points focus)
    Force Burst (ranged attack)
    Force Protection 2 (cost:10 Personal force field absorbs 20 points damage)
    Force Sphere (cost:10 Envelopes within 20 squares, absorbs 20 points damage)
    While I do not know this new game system at all, your build looks nice. Thank you for sharing.

Hmmn, not sure what they mean by Elemental Blast per se, but I know the Inhuman Crystal had what she called an Elemental (Force) Blast that she used quite often whle she was a member of the FF. It was an enegy blast that she would shoot. I don't know of any other character that has that exact power, but maybe they are going to use it for characters like Crystal, Magneto, Graviton, Human Torch, Iceman, etc. Maybe for those with an elemental type power?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Oh, that is bad for Dormammu! He is ultra-powerful, and needs to be shown as such! There are others that will need to have all of the high-levels that he has such as the Phoenix Force. I hope smeone at the Marvel Game sees this/finds out and then makes corrections in the next book.

I agree, the Ranks need to go up higher and maybe 10 would be perfect. 6 or even 7 do not give enough distance between all of the characters. 10 is much better spacer (and maybe even go 11-15 for the super-high-end characters).

Oh, good to know Jean will probably be in November. I hope they get her stats correct, as in every game they seem to low-ball her, but now she is Ubber-Powerful in the comics sans PF, so I am looking forward to excellent stats for her.

So as written now, Jean could at max be Rank 6 Logic 8 because she has 2 major powers (TP + TK)? I guess she really has 3 powers if one counts Empathy as Marvel has made that a separate one for Jean which would put her at R6 L7? Or 4 if we count the PF connection, making Jean R6 L6?

I would love to see whatever character profiles you created!
    I think the full Phoenix Force would be Rank X, which is reserved for characters like Galactus, who really can't be fought, only reasoned with.

Jean's logic ability can go up to level 9, but she'd have to rearrange stats if she wants any Melee or Agility, and she'd only have 26 powers where Xavier can have 27, and she'd have to split those between Basic, Telekinesis, and Telepathy.

Empathy would be covered under telepathy, I'm just changing it because Dani generally doesn't have full telepathy and since her powers should work faster than the game says. As written, it would take Dani three rounds to create one mirage. One to establish a link, one to dig for the fear, and then she could create the mirage the next round. Not very useful or accurate to her powers. Basically, I'm merging Mind Interrogation with Mirage and ignoring Telepathic (Empathic) Link, except to say she has it if she wants to use just that.

I think the full Phoenix Force would be Rank X, which is reserved for characters like Galactus, who really can't be fought, only reasoned with.

Jean's logic ability can go up to level 9, but she'd have to rearrange stats if she wants any Melee or Agility, and she'd only have 26 powers where Xavier can have 27, and she'd have to split those between Basic, Telekinesis, and Telepathy.

Empathy would be covered under telepathy, I'm just changing it because Dani generally doesn't have full telepathy and since her powers should work faster than the game says. As written, it would take Dani three rounds to create one mirage. One to establish a link, one to dig for the fear, and then she could create the mirage the next round. Not very useful or accurate to her powers. Basically, I'm merging Mind Interrogation with Mirage and ignoring Telepathic (Empathic) Link, except to say she has it if she wants to use just that.
    Ah, lol, see, I really do not know this game at all!

So would they stat out the Phoenix Force and Galactus, or just say they cannot be played and make them X?

Jean does have melee and agility--maybe 2-4 for each and her endurance is quite high, maybe a 6 or 7 if they have that here.

Is having 26 powers good in regards to TP and TK?

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

While I do not know this new game system at all, your build looks nice. Thank you for sharing.

Hmmn, not sure what they mean by Elemental Blast per se, but I know the Inhuman Crystal had what she called an Elemental (Force) Blast that she used quite often whle she was a member of the FF. It was an enegy blast that she would shoot. I don't know of any other character that has that exact power, but maybe they are going to use it for characters like Crystal, Magneto, Graviton, Human Torch, Iceman, etc. Maybe for those with an elemental type power?
    The Elemental power set can be used for most any type of element. For example, Magneto uses Elemental: Iron, and Iceman uses Elemental: Ice. Force was just the closest thing on the list to how Nova's powers work. (Officially, he uses gravity, but that's not exactly how his powers present, and it's not on the list, anyway.) Crystal would be using a whole bunch of different elements.

Side note: Storm uses both Weather Control and Elemental: Electricity. I think she should have some Air powers, too, but they didn't give her enough rank for that.

Heh, we keep cross posting.

Ah, lol, see, I really do not know this game at all!

So would they stat out the Phoenix Force and Galactus, or just say they cannot be played and make them X?

Jean does have melee and agility--maybe 2-4 for each and her endurance is quite high, maybe a 6 or 7 if they have that here.

Is having 26 powers good in regards to TP and TK?
    First question, yeah, they aren't given stats.

Rank 6 only gets 30 points for abilities to cover 6 abilities, so choices have to be made.

I think I miscalculated. Xavier would have 29 powers and Jean would have 28. The bonuses threw me off. The max for rank 6 would be 30, and that's only if you use nothing but the basic power set, so 28 is pretty good, but she can't have the same number of telepathy powers as Xavier and also have telekinesis.

Heh, we keep cross posting.

First question, yeah, they aren't given stats.

Rank 6 only gets 30 points for abilities to cover 6 abilities, so choices have to be made.

I think I miscalculated. Xavier would have 29 powers and Jean would have 28. The bonuses threw me off. The max for rank 6 would be 30, and that's only if you use nothing but the basic power set, so 28 is pretty good, but she can't have the same number of telepathy powers as Xavier and also have telekinesis.
    Lol, yeah, I noticed us crossing, so I paused up a bit. Sorry.

Ah, this makes sense so I see what you mean that Jean would have less TP power sets in order to have some TK power sets.

I understand that they are trying to keep everything balanced by the numbers but it seems odd and not correct to me to limit some characters that have lots of abilities. For example, someone like Gladiator, Sentry, Hyperion, Wonder Man might all be limited or appear to have different abilities based on what Marvel picks/puts their points into.

Yep. That's why the profiles should be taken more as guidelines. There's also the problem of putting together a viable team. In the comics you can have Hawkeye (rank 2) and Thor (rank 5) on the same team and have both contribute. That's a lot harder in a tabletop game. You've got to compromise on the ranks so every player can contribute.

This isn't just a problem with this game, it's a problem with every superhero rpg. BASH (yeah, I really like that game) handles it best, of the ones I know. In it you chose a power level (say 40 points for Avengers level games), and anyone who has points left over on their build can use them for various thematic stunts, like "Never say die!" that can bring you back from the brink. If you go over the point limit, the GM gets to add some complications to that character's life throughout the game. It's not perfect, but it can help a lot.

Just in case anyone curious, BASH can be found here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...timate-Edition You can get a sample of the book by clicking Full-size Preview. Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's better than MMRPG, there's strengths and weaknesses to both games and it ultimately comes down to preferences.

Yeah, it seems hard to limit characters (for me), like 28 points for Jean in the MARVEL stats seems hard for me to balance as I would want a 2-2-4-6-9-9 which is 32, lol! So close, yet so far away.

I am sure each game has it's own problems and good points. thanks for showing bash as I never heard of that. It seems more to what I like with a 1 = X pounds, speed, etc. That's why I liked the OG MSHRPG because they had 10 basic levels for abilities, plus another 8 for ultra high and none at all. For example, if someone had Good (10) Strength and another Excellent (20), you knew right off without calculations that EX was stronger. Also, a character could have as many powers that they did in the comics and was not limited to any points or anything like that. All characters could be charted, like Dormammu, Galactus and the PF.

You're closer than you think with Jean. There's no limit on her ability points, that stays at 30, it's the number of powers she has that's 28.

There's 14 telekinetic powers, and 26 telepathic powers. She should probably have all the telekinetic powers, plus Brilliance 4 and Uncanny 4 (they increase mental abilities and defenses), so that's 8 more slots gone. That only leaves her 4 telepathic powers, but she'd be really good at them. I'd probably leave out the animal and mirage powers, and Mental Punch, since that's Psylocke's psy-blade. That narrows it down to 19 telepathic powers to choose from... oh, Mechanical Telepathy can go, too, so 18. Telepathic Link is essential (it required for most other powers), maybe finish off with Mind Reading, Mind Interrogation and Telepathic Blast? I don't know, I'll have to think about it. It kind of depends on what you want to emphasize.

It's been a long time since I've read the original Marvel RPG. On the Rules Light to Rules Heavy spectrum, it's about the middle, IIRC, just like BASH. It may lean more towards Simulation (vs Narrative), and I'd say BASH is about the middle of that spectrum. MMRPG, is definitely on the side of Rules Light, and probably more Narrative than Simulation, but nobody on the rpg forum I'm on seems to know where it falls. It might help if there were more rules clarifications. (BASH has the advantage of being in its second edition, so there's been time to work out most of the kinks.)

You're closer than you think with Jean. There's no limit on her ability points, that stays at 30, it's the number of powers she has that's 28.

There's 14 telekinetic powers, and 26 telepathic powers. She should probably have all the telekinetic powers, plus Brilliance 4 and Uncanny 4 (they increase mental abilities and defenses), so that's 8 more slots gone. That only leaves her 4 telepathic powers, but she'd be really good at them. I'd probably leave out the animal and mirage powers, and Mental Punch, since that's Psylocke's psy-blade. That narrows it down to 19 telepathic powers to choose from... oh, Mechanical Telepathy can go, too, so 18. Telepathic Link is essential (it required for most other powers), maybe finish off with Mind Reading, Mind Interrogation and Telepathic Blast? I don't know, I'll have to think about it. It kind of depends on what you want to emphasize.

It's been a long time since I've read the original Marvel RPG. On the Rules Light to Rules Heavy spectrum, it's about the middle, IIRC, just like BASH. It may lean more towards Simulation (vs Narrative), and I'd say BASH is about the middle of that spectrum. MMRPG, is definitely on the side of Rules Light, and probably more Narrative than Simulation, but nobody on the rpg forum I'm on seems to know where it falls. It might help if there were more rules clarifications. (BASH has the advantage of being in its second edition, so there's been time to work out most of the kinks.)
    Oh, that is good to know! I will take another look to balance out the 30 ability points.

On the powers points, I got confused. Why 28? 28 -8 (Brilliance and Uncanny) = 20. 20 -14TK = 6, but you said only 4 are available for TP. What am I missing?

Jean should definitely have a team link (switchboard), mind reading and mental blast. Is there anything about Astral projection/travel?

Oops, yeah, 6 is right. Yep, there's an Astral Form and Telepathic Network. If I was creating her, I think I'd take out Telekinetic Crush, which doesn't sound like something Jean would do, and add Mental Shelter which let's her protect others. She's still got a Telekinetic Attack, among other things.

Oops, yeah, 6 is right. Yep, there's an Astral Form and Telepathic Network. If I was creating her, I think I'd take out Telekinetic Crush, which doesn't sound like something Jean would do, and add Mental Shelter which let's her protect others. She's still got a Telekinetic Attack, among other things.
    Oh, okay, I thought I was really lost.

Jean will also need flight, flight with others, TK force bubbles, shields, deflection and such. I guess these are all under TK powers?

Yep, pretty much. The only thing I'm not sure about is flight. It's in the tk set, but it might be useful to have Flight 1 from the basic set, as well. I'll have to check later.

I looked it up. Levitation is Flight without a speed increase. So she'd be flying 5 feet a second instead of 30 feet a second.