Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default So in one panel, Carol tells Steve she doesn’t want him in the Avengers…ok…

So literally after everything Steve has done as Cap as an Avenger, Carol tells San he’s in because he’s a “normal guy” and Steve is like “yea, cool no worries.” I mean, you’d think they could both be on the team or Steve would be like, “all my closest friends are on this team.” I don’t understand how this wouldn’t be portrayed as insulting. If Steve had said he wanted a break and offered the place to Sam at least it wouldn’t feel like Steve being kicked out of the club.

Or, if it had been after the Hellfire Gala, and therefore Steve was already on a different Avengers team...

As it is, issues 1 and 2 seem to be before the Gala but #3 is after it because Tony's armor has changed. Him meeting up with Steve and Rogue in his latest solo issue (set on the day of the Gala) was explicitly the last time he'd be using the old one. He planned to surrender it to Feilong but ended up using it to evacuate a depowered (inhibitor collared) Emma Frost.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-29-2023 at 11:44 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

She don't want another Captain in her team?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Isn’t Steve the one to create Avenger Teams anytime he wants? If Carol were to black ball him, He could just create his own and see who would rather work with him.

It's really not that deep.

She picked the team and Captain America that she wanted. I really don't see that as an insult to Steve.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Astonishing Member

She can do that since she outranks Steve.. Carol is a colonel, Steve was a private who got promoted to captain just because he took super steroids.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Retroactive second hand offense. That's a new and rare one. This happened three issues ago and if Steve himself was very much okies with it so much so he's already slated for his own Uncanny Avengers team then I really don't see the "insult".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Retroactive second hand offense. That's a new and rare one. This happened three issues ago and if Steve himself was very much okies with it so much so he's already slated for his own Uncanny Avengers team then I really don't see the "insult".
    Yeah. It’s not about ego with Steve. He understands Carol and her mission statement.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Being the ultimate leader type, and the consumate Avengers leader, not everyone can deal with being a leader under Cap's shadow. Iron Man was always butting heads with him. Hawkeye had problems serving under him after being a leader himself (not that he didn't have trouble before). Luke Cage, while also greatly respecting Cap, sure didn't seem to want him around while he was leading his own Avengers his own way. I think Jan was the one that best handled leading the team with Cap serving under her. Thor also never seemed to be much bothered to having to lead Steve. I think it understandable that Carol didn't want him around, her own insecurities comparing herself with him, however, IMHO, it doesn't reflect well on her that she'd sort of voice those feelings. All in all, I think I'd rather have a different member than just another "Cap" she's more confortable with. Isn't she supposed to be "besties" with Jessica Drew, Spider-Woman?

Peace

PS. I think I always prefer having the Avengers led by Cp, but I'm also okay with him occasionally being away from the team, giving someone else the oportunity to shine.
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-30-2023 at 11:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

The Avengers have existed without Cap on the team on multiple occasions.

It's not that deep.

Not to mention he's doing another Avengers thing very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Being the ultimate leader type, and the consumate Avengers leader, not everyone can deal with being a leader under Cap's shadow. Iron Man was always butting heads with him. Hawkeye had problems serving under him after being a leader himself (not that he didn't have trouble before). Luke Cage, while also greatly respecting Cap, sure didn't seem to want him around while he was leading his own Avengers his own way. I think Jan was the one that best handled leading the team with Cap serving under her. Thor also never seemed to be much bothered to having to lead Steve. I think it understandable that Carol didn't want him around, her own insecurities comparing herself with him, however, IMHO, it doesn't reflect well on her that she'd sort of voice those feelings. All in all, I think I'd rather have a different member than just another "Cap" she's more confortable with. Isn't she supposed to be "besties" with Jessica Drew, Spider-Woman?

Peace

PS. I think I always prefer having the Avengers led by Cp, but I'm also okay with him occasionally being away from the team, giving someone else the oportunity to shine.
    In her own words, Jennifer (Hazmat), Jessica and Rhodey (the supporting cast in Kelly Thompson's run) are who she goes to for Captain Marvel business. Iron Man (who she was talking to, in Avengers #1) is who she goes to for Avengers business.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The justification that Carol gave to Steve is the same that McKay said in an interview. Steve is a super soldier and living legend while Sam is just a dude that is trying to do good and that's the perspective that is needed because the rest of the team is stacked with gods, witches, geniuses and so on. These kind of people don't even bat an eye at all the crazy stuff that is going on anymore but someone like Sam can provide a real human perspective on it.
    I really like this angle and think it's something that is often forgotten about. I also don't see how Steve himself would see that as an offense. He is exceptional and he knows it even if he is humble enough to not say so himself.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    The justification that Carol gave to Steve is the same that McKay said in an interview. Steve is a super soldier and living legend while Sam is just a dude that is trying to do good and that's the perspective that is needed because the rest of the team is stacked with gods, witches, geniuses and so on. These kind of people don't even bat an eye at all the crazy stuff that is going on anymore but someone like Sam can provide a real human perspective on it.
    I really like this angle and think it's something that is often forgotten about. I also don't see how Steve himself would see that as an offense. He is exceptional and he knows it even if he is humble enough to not say so himself.
    Sounds like Sam is basically there to be Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It's really not that deep.
    Agreed. They’re both adults. Plus how many line-ups did Steve assemble without recruiting Carol?