Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Recommendations on L.E.G.I.O.N. & R.E.B.E.L.S?

Hi all,

I'm interested in reading more of DC's cosmic side, specifically space opera / military stories, similar to GL/GLC.\

I never got around to reading L.E.G.I.O.N \ R.E.B.E.L.S in the 90s - is it any good?

I read and mostly liked the more modern R.E.B.E.L.S as a side story for Johns' GL run - how do the 2 volumes compare to each other?

Also, was there originally a connection with the LOSH?

Extraordinary Member

L.E.G.I.O.N is incredible. Keith Giffen, Alan Grant, and artist Barry Kitson laid down an amazing foundation of characters and story in the first 12 issues and it continued throughout the series' run.

Vril Dox is one of the most fascinating characters. Sometimes you want to kill him and other times, you want to shake his hand.

I don't think you'll regret reading that series one bit. As a matter of fact, you'll kick yourself for waiting so long.

Mighty Member

I only read R.E.B.E.L.S, but I loved it. I was hyped when they brought Vril back a while ago, but they haven't done anything with him sense. It's been so long I completely forgot.

I haven’t read the entire originsl LEGION/REBELS run yet, but I highly recommend the series.
    Tony Bedard’s REBELS relaunch was pretty good too. Not as great as the original, but it was a pretty solid focus on DC’s non-GL cosmic characters. Such a shame Flashpoint killed that book.

Would have ended anyway. It had real low sales, around 10 000 units and didn't even make top 150. Giffen's Doom Patrol was even lower.

Many titles that didn't return after Flashpoint were selling badly. I wouldn't be surprised if they got extra 1-2 issues due to Flashpoint since DC had to fill their publishing line with something and obviously there was no point in launching new series at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Would have ended anyway. It had real low sales, around 10 000 units and didn't even make top 150. Giffen's Doom Patrol was even lower.

Many titles that didn't return after Flashpoint were selling badly. I wouldn't be surprised if they got extra 1-2 issues due to Flashpoint since DC had to fill their publishing line with something and obviously there was no point in launching new series at that time.
    Fair enough. I do wonder why they never attempted to relaunch it as LEGION. It seems like a way more marketable name than REBELS.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post

Also, was there originally a connection with the LOSH?
    There are many connections. Vril Dox II is the great grandfather of Brainiac 5 (Querl Dox) of the Legion. Phase has ties to Phantom Girl. Lyrissa and Lydea Mallor or the ancestors of Shadow Lass. Lar Gand (Mon El) was briefly a member of the team in the modern times. The biggest tie in is the Durlan. He is latter revealled to be someone very very important in the Legions history. Plus you had things like the Emerald Eye being used for the first time I think in the modern day and races like the Khunds, Durlans, and and other races mostly shown in the Legion of Superheroes time being used more in the modern day.

The Invasion crossover is where the core members of the team (Vril Dox II, Garryn Bek, Stratta, Stealth, the Durlan, and Lyrissa Mallor) were really introduced. I loved both L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S., and think it was one of the best books DC was putting out in the early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Fair enough. I do wonder why they never attempted to relaunch it as LEGION. It seems like a way more marketable name than REBELS.
    That is a good question. They did do two LOSH series when New 52 launched. I feel like Legion Lost probably could have been replaced by LEGION.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    L.E.G.I.O.N is incredible. Keith Giffen, Alan Grant, and artist Barry Kitson laid down an amazing foundation of characters and story in the first 12 issues and it continued throughout the series' run.

Vril Dox is one of the most fascinating characters. Sometimes you want to kill him and other times, you want to shake his hand.

I don't think you'll regret reading that series one bit. As a matter of fact, you'll kick yourself for waiting so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There are many connections. Vril Dox II is the great grandfather of Brainiac 5 (Querl Dox) of the Legion. Phase has ties to Phantom Girl. Lyrissa and Lydea Mallor or the ancestors of Shadow Lass. Lar Gand (Mon El) was briefly a member of the team in the modern times. The biggest tie in is the Durlan. He is latter revealled to be someone very very important in the Legions history. Plus you had things like the Emerald Eye being used for the first time I think in the modern day and races like the Khunds, Durlans, and and other races mostly shown in the Legion of Superheroes time being used more in the modern day.

The Invasion crossover is where the core members of the team (Vril Dox II, Garryn Bek, Stratta, Stealth, the Durlan, and Lyrissa Mallor) were really introduced. I loved both L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S., and think it was one of the best books DC was putting out in the early 90s
    Both quoted for the truth. 100% in agreement.

Peace

Astonishing Member

I was not a fan of R.E.B.E.L.S. by Tom Peyer, but I highly recommend the L.E.G.I.O.N. series that preceded it. Barry Kitson -- the artist for most of the series actually wrote the book in its final year -- and may be my favorite run of the series.

The R.E.B.E.L.S. series by Tom Bedard looked pretty good, but I had largely stopped collecting when it came out -- so only read a couple of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was not a fan of R.E.B.E.L.S. by Tom Peyer, but I highly recommend the L.E.G.I.O.N. series that preceded it. Barry Kitson -- the artist for most of the series actually wrote the book in its final year -- and may be my favorite run of the series.

The R.E.B.E.L.S. series by Tom Bedard looked pretty good, but I had largely stopped collecting when it came out -- so only read a couple of issues.
    To me that series started slow but got better as it went along. The Blackest Night crossover. The Brainiac family reunion. Bringing back guys like Captain Comet and Lobo. It was THE DC book for everything cosmic outside of the Lanterns.

To me that series started slow but got better as it went along. The Blackest Night crossover. The Brainiac family reunion. Bringing back guys like Captain Comet and Lobo. It was THE DC book for everything cosmic outside of the Lanterns.

And I really miss DC having something like this. Captain Comet, Maxima, Adam Strange, Prysm, Starfire and/or Blackfire, Lobo, Alpha Centurion, Virl Dox and his L.E.G.I.O.N. or R.E.B.E.L.S, Omega Men, The Titan's Seeds, Starman, The Wierd, etc... DC has so many characters that could benefit from a book like this.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 08-01-2023 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Characters keep poping in my head

There is a Legion/ Darkstars/ Green Lantern crossover. Which was awesome.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Are there any collections of it? As I said, I had largely stopped collecting -- and local shops weren't great at staking anything other than best-sellers. What happened to Bedard?

I wonder if there was a reason they couldn't call this L.E.G.I.O.N. as that name would have been a bigger draw to guys like me (LSH fans). The REBELS name never sat well with me.