Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Sweet! But who is that in the background in the blue-and-white? And am I going to feel like a moron for guessing Graviton?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Sweet! But who is that in the background in the blue-and-white? And am I going to feel like a moron for guessing Graviton?
    No. Graviton does not have super strength or any of the powers of the others.

It is Count Nefaria.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    No. Graviton does not have super strength or any of the powers of the others.

It is Count Nefaria.
    Ah...gotcha.

I think it's worth noting that Blue Marvel is not in the picture, and yet Count Nefraria is.

Peace
    And that is... good or bad?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Kinda familiar...
    Just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Just a little bit.

I'm shocked!

Peace

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

And who is the Mordred of the Blue Marvel family? Maybe the powerless daughter will resent the lack of power.
    Max Brashear (Dr. Positron) started his career as a villain of sorts, working with a questionable international criminal cabal. He was particularly upset with his father, blaming him for the loss of his older brother, Kevin. Max has since turned back to the side of the good guys. I forget which team he joined, but he enjoyed a brief run on the side of the angels.

As for Adrienne, the all-too-predictable story would be that she continues to work on creating her own version of a Cosmic Cube, defying the government, a design which goes awry and corrupts her in the process. Given that the Beyond Corp has an axe to grind with Monica Rambeau (and probably Adam as well), perhaps it plays a role in tainting the project? Instead of a Cosmic Cube, we get a Hellraiser-like LeMarchand Configuration puzzle box with "Dark Adrienne" looking very much like a Cenobite. Anything is possible.

I think it's worth noting that Blue Marvel is not in the picture, and yet Count Nefraria is.

Peace
    Two possible explanations:

1. Blue Marvel is not a well-known character...even now. The artist probably never heard of him.

2. The artwork was done before Blue Marvel was created.

For what it's worth, there are several other Supes analogues that didn't make the picture, include Ethan Edwards (Virtue), Miracleman and Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The pure number of Superman inspired characters in the Marvel universe, seems to be a result of the fact that Marvel wants their version of Superman.
    I don't feel that way?

All the Superman pastiches are likely a result of writers going, "what would it be like if Superman was this way, or that way...". I mean, there was Blue Marvel, Mr. Majestic, the Plutonian, Icon, etc...

I think Marvel's first "cape" was Thor. Stan Lee says as much in his prologue, "...Meanwhile, Back in Asgard", from Origins of Marvel Comics. DC even recognized Thor as Marvel's top dog back when the first JLA/Avengers crossover was pitched. Shooter of course, didn't go for it because he was loyal to Marvel and Thor. Of course, since that time (Quesada, Jason Aaron...), Thor has gone down the tubes real quick like. De Falco took the mystique out of Thor vs Hulk be openly declaring Hulk stronger, but Thor more powerful. Sick of redundant fan mail I guess.

At any rate, since then there has been Hyperion, Sentry and others in that league (Gladiator as I understand it was a tongue-in-cheek Superboy, not Superman).

Honestly? I don't think Marvel cares about much anymore but grinding out stuff that seems to appeal to certain demographics. There really isn't much rhyme or reason going on there; I just feel like coming up with a Superman knock-off is the very least of their concerns right now, particularly since DC movies are tanking royally at the box. Just my two cents.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    (Gladiator as I understand it was a tongue-in-cheek Superboy, not Superman).
    I would agree with this, since the Imperial Guard obviously pays homage to the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Just a little bit.

As an aside, Byrne's art was spectacular back then.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Two possible explanations:

1. Blue Marvel is not a well-known character...even now. The artist probably never heard of him.

2. The artwork was done before Blue Marvel was created.

For what it's worth, there are several other Supes analogues that didn't make the picture, include Ethan Edwards (Virtue), Miracleman and Prime.
    It's not number 2. It's only a year old.
    https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1859061
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I would say than whoever did it, it stole it from Supergirl and the Superjackets. They should use the color pattern from Endegame. It would look more different.
    now that you mention it, i sort of feel like he reverse is true; i mean, supergirls new look is hardly distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I don't feel that way?

All the Superman pastiches are likely a result of writers going, "what would it be like if Superman was this way, or that way...". I mean, there was Blue Marvel, Mr. Majestic, the Plutonian, Icon, etc...

I think Marvel's first "cape" was Thor. Stan Lee says as much in his prologue, "...Meanwhile, Back in Asgard", from Origins of Marvel Comics. DC even recognized Thor as Marvel's top dog back when the first JLA/Avengers crossover was pitched. Shooter of course, didn't go for it because he was loyal to Marvel and Thor. Of course, since that time (Quesada, Jason Aaron...), Thor has gone down the tubes real quick like. De Falco took the mystique out of Thor vs Hulk be openly declaring Hulk stronger, but Thor more powerful. Sick of redundant fan mail I guess.

At any rate, since then there has been Hyperion, Sentry and others in that league (Gladiator as I understand it was a tongue-in-cheek Superboy, not Superman).

Honestly? I don't think Marvel cares about much anymore but grinding out stuff that seems to appeal to certain demographics. There really isn't much rhyme or reason going on there; I just feel like coming up with a Superman knock-off is the very least of their concerns right now, particularly since DC movies are tanking royally at the box. Just my two cents.
    They care enough to have a lot of homages. One or two,. okey,. But when you have 15 and you make series of them and in you make animates series including those characters also..

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    now that you mention it, i sort of feel like he reverse is true; i mean, supergirls new look is hardly distinctive.
    The look of Supergirl is part of the look of the whole superfamily in general. They alll look similar in that way. And now Cap marvel seems like she wants to belog to that club with her jacket.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I don't think so. Whenever Marvel does a Superman character they go out of their way to stack the deck against the character. Marvel doesn't want to have a successful Superman like character.

What Marvel does want....is Wonder Woman. They have been sinking an incredible amount of time and money trying get their own Wonder Woman but it doesn't seem to be working.
    I think they want an A-list female lead more than Wonder Woman.

But I do agree they don't want an A-list Superman type. Their Superman inspired characters tend to eventually be antagonists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets