Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Sometimes I feel it bothers Marvel that they don’t have Superman

The pure number of Superman inspired characters in the Marvel universe, seems to be a result of the fact that Marvel wants their version of Superman.

Superman will be in public domain in a few years. So they can have the real deal, eventually.

Yeah, ten years isn't it? 95 years from his debut? Mickey Mouse will go public domain first, so it'd be in Disney's interests to try and prevent it. Works both ways of course. A couple of years after Marvel gains access to Superman, Captain America will go public domain as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Steamboat willie will be public domain. It will be the third mickey to go pd along with over 12 popeyes, multiple superman, bugs bunny and even donald duck!

No one is making new superman cartoons from the pd shorts. Only the cartoon is in pd not the character. You can release a popeye pd on dvd but make a new popeye cartoon you will get your butt sued! Cartoons are not the same rules as books.

Unless mickeys full copyright, trademark goes pd you won't see any mickey stuff from anyone but disney! Mickey has had two shorts in pd starting with the 80s in fact!

Superman comics on the other hand follow book rules!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-30-2023 at 08:26 AM.

they seem to trash whatever version of superman that they come up with; i always thought that they didn’t want a super character to overshadow their more grounded heroes.

... there was that time period where the idea was floated to have Marvel editorially take over DC back in the 1980s
    according to Jim Shooter:
    http://jimshooter.com/2011/08/superm...el-issue.html/

Too bad. It could have led to some interesting creative teams and storylines, from back then until however long it lasted.

I think it's just fun to riff on the most famous, iconic Superhero of all time.

DC actually has a lot of Marvel pastiches too. The Assemblers of Angor, the Zen-Men, the Retaliators, Earth 8 in general. They're just not very, well, good.

Not to mention DC's New Age of Heroes line, which was almost entirely pastiches of Marvel characters!

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The pure number of Superman inspired characters in the Marvel universe, seems to be a result of the fact that Marvel wants their version of Superman.
    I counted almost 30 Superman homages, (including parodies, spoofs, detours, and one note/appearance characters). I mean, counting only the Hyperion variants, you have a good handful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... there was that time period where the idea was floated to have Marvel editorially take over DC back in the 1980s

Too bad. It could have led to some interesting creative teams and storylines, from back then until however long it lasted.
    That could had been interesting to see. Well, at least we knew what Byrne wanted to do.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Yes, it is. ButMarvel is not the only one who doesn't?

DC actually has a lot of Marvel pastiches too. The Assemblers of Angor, the Zen-Men, the Retaliators, Earth 8 in general. They're just not very, well, good.
    They are not frequently used, more like.

Not to mention DC's New Age of Heroes line, which was almost entirely pastiches of Marvel characters!
    You can't argue against that. I remeber the Terrifics who were a Fantastic Four team in a time when Marvel was not publishing the Fantastic Four, because "MCU reasons".
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Just about every major comics company has a Superman homage or parody character. It's normal for creatives to want to use a protected character in their own ecosystem.

What we usually find out right away is why it does or why it does not work. Marvel, fortunately, has sufficient lore that it can absorb a Superman class character without necessarily altering its ecosystem. In fact, Marvel has so many of its own variants that you never question the elasticity of the MU. It's only natural that they'd do the same with a Superman-type character.

Personally, I wish they had more Wonder Woman or Supergirl/Power Girl-type homages running around the MU. I'll take two in every color! And Spawn. Yeah, give me at least one more of those so Angela doesn't feel so lonely.

Edit: And while we're at it, Marvel should add Stormwatch. Buy the rights to the name, if necessary.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-30-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

We got that when Byrne went to DC and did Superman...

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Yeah. Sideways was Spider-Man with teleporting powers instead of webs. Curse of Brimstone was Ghost Rider. The Terrifics was Fantastic Four (the team actually still exists, was just used in The Flash). Damage was Red Hulk (he had a time limit and was military, just like Red Hulk II from U.S.Avengers).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Just about every major comics company has a Superman homage or parody character. It's normal for creatives to want to use a protected character in their own ecosystem.

What we usually find out right away is why it does or why it does not work. Marvel, fortunately, has sufficient lore that it can absorb a Superman class character without necessarily altering its ecosystem. In fact, Marvel has so many of its own variants that you never question the elasticity of the MU. It's only natural that they'd do the same with a Superman-type character.

Personally, I wish they had more Wonder Woman or Supergirl/Power Girl-type homages running around the MU. I'll take two in every color! And Spawn. Yeah, give me at least one more of those so Angela doesn't feel so lonely.

Edit: And while we're at it, Marvel should add Stormwatch. Buy the rights to the name, if necessary.
    We have a few Marvel versions of the WW archetype already. There's Thundra, then there's a couple versions of Princess Zarda from Squadron Supreme/Sinister. And there's Warrior Woman ( although she was originally a bad guy, I didn't read the Fearless Defenders run ).

As far as Marvel buying the rights to Stormwatch, Jim Lee already sold them to DC, how would that work?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We have a few Marvel versions of the WW archetype already. There's Thundra, then there's a couple versions of Princess Zarda from Squadron Supreme/Sinister. And there's Warrior Woman ( although she was originally a bad guy, I didn't read the Fearless Defenders run ).
    You missed the part about 2 in every color.

As far as Marvel buying the rights to Stormwatch, Jim Lee already sold them to DC, how would that work?
    Yes, I know Stormwatch is now DC property, but haven't we reached the point yet where the two industry giants merge, like in sports, to form one league with two conferences and trades are permitted? (Can you imagine if THAT was a real possibilty?!) A guy can dream, can't he?

I don't think so. Whenever Marvel does a Superman character they go out of their way to stack the deck against the character. Marvel doesn't want to have a successful Superman like character.

What Marvel does want....is Wonder Woman. They have been sinking an incredible amount of time and money trying get their own Wonder Woman but it doesn't seem to be working.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest