Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Justice Society of America #5 spoilers/discussion

Yeah I know it’s early in the morning when I’m posting this but considering the long delays and other announcements hitting shelves soon it’s best to pump this book up. JSA is my favorite team after all and I will do what I can to keep this book from being cancelled.

Anyway delayed related Recap: Degaton, the nazi time traveling JSA foe, has performed an evil spell to replace the JSA throughout history with multiple time duplicates of himself. To do this he has been murdering JSA teams in reverse chronological order and he has made it to the present day which is his last stop before the original team in the 40’s. Thankfully Helena Wayne is here with the Flashpoint Beyond snow globe because Degaton can’t keep an eye on her like everyone else.

And also as last left off Helena has broken the cardinal rule of time travel and has gone to Batman in Gotham to warn him about his future demise.

So how does this all end? Well honestly about exactly as you expected it to go down. This thing is heavily delayed with solicitations up to issue 8. If you somehow didn’t know that the JSA managed to save the day and that Helena is now trapped in the present I’m sorry for ruining your mad spoiler dodging record. I’m not going to say how they beat him but I will say that Janin at least delivers with the promise of the cover with multiple generations of the JSA. Trust me there are cool JSA moments where they get to put the smack down on a nazi multiple different times.

That being said the first arc of this run is finally over and we can move on to more stories, specifically we’re finally getting to see what happened after the end of Stargirl and the lost children. Literally the last page of this issue is a reverse shot of the panel where Jay Garrick saw his daughter for the first time. And so next issue if you haven’t read the Stargirl series you are about to be introduced to somewhere about a dozen or more new teen sidekick characters. But the good news is that the Jay and Judy series comes out in October so it actually kind of lines up pretty well with the release of that series.

But either way after a long couple of months we finally got our conclusion and can move on to whatever is next.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-01-2023 at 07:07 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Very predictable stuff. Johns had good ingredients but didn’t know what do with them.
    I do like that they at least explained that PG is also here because of a paradox. She should be from an alternate past like the first version of the Metaverse to be a mirror to Huntress being from an alternate future.
    And which Hawkgirl was that supposed to be? The design was closer to Kendra’s but she was colored white and was with Carter, so it should have been Shiera/Shayera.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Very predictable stuff. Johns had good ingredients but didn’t know what do with them.
    I do like that they at least explained that PG is also here because of a paradox. She should be from an alternate past like the first version of the Metaverse to be a mirror to Huntress being from an alternate future.
    And which Hawkgirl was that supposed to be? The design was closer to Kendra’s but she was colored white and was with Carter, so it should have been Shiera/Shayera.
    Definitely looks like Kendra, but considering the time travel at play could be a past Shayera.

Especially since present day Kendra has metal wings
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Considering how hyped Degatron's scheme was in the previous issues, I'm surprised it got resolved so quickly and easily.

I see Geo Force got out of jail. Surprising that he helped the Bat family after Bruce gave Talia a free pass for geocoding his country during Shadow War.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Considering how hyped Degatron's scheme was in the previous issues, I'm surprised it got resolved so quickly and easily.

I see Geo Force got out of jail. Surprising that he helped the Bat family after Bruce gave Talia a free pass for geocoding his country during Shadow War.
    I’m pretty sure that Geoforce was part of an alternate timeline where Degaton won.
    Words to live by.

I wonder if Xanadu's tease of "Sandman having to face his nightmare" was a reference to Knight Terrors.

Astonishing Member

I haven't read it yet, but you see what L.O.S.H. Johns may use. The Retroboot with Kal-El Superboy. But then again it was a different timeline.

Astonishing Member

I laughed my ass out, when Helena was seemingly thinking, that Bruce will take her home in this timeline, and he's like: ''Get her the hell out of here''.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I laughed my ass out, when Helena was seemingly thinking, that Bruce will take her home in this timeline, and he's like: ''Get her the hell out of here''.
    Just about right for Johns' Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just about right for Johns' Batman.
    Yeah, as usual.
    But quite frankly, I can see Johns asking Bat-Office if they wanted to add her to Bat-Family as the result of this arc, and they, of course, said no, because they don't care.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This felt like a really slap dash ending, it made me feel like I was missing an issue...but I went back and read it all at once and nope I wasn't missing an issue it just felt rushed and disjointed. There are some decent ideas here but the execution just feels so lacking.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This felt like a really slap dash ending, it made me feel like I was missing an issue...but I went back and read it all at once and nope I wasn't missing an issue it just felt rushed and disjointed. There are some decent ideas here but the execution just feels so lacking.
    Agree on the ending being rushed and disjointed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I felt sorry for Helena.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    What was Stargirl and Jakeem searching for that was so important?
    I didn’t get that part.
    We knew the snow globe was going to be the MacGuffin but I thought they needed more than that to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What was Stargirl and Jakeem searching for that was so important?
    I didn’t get that part.
    We knew the snow globe was going to be the MacGuffin but I thought they needed more than that to win.
    I think the point was to find in his castle a personal artifact of Degatons so they could use it as part of the spell binding him to the Flashpoint world.

Because they toss his badge to Khalid holding the snow globe and then he does some random magic that puts Degaton in the globe.
    Words to live by.