Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default KNIGHT TERRORS ~ Yay or Nay?

I was going to pass on this whole shebang, due to “event” burnout, but now I’m thinking I might at least pick up the two part stories of the monthlies that I collect.
    Have the first month of books been worth it??

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I read the FCBD preview and had no interest in reading any more. Unfortunately my lcs pulled the tie in issues on the titles I collect before I told them not to, so I have one of the Titan issue tie ins.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

NAY. 3 char, 5 char, 7 char, 10 char, doesn't matter. One thousand times NAY.

If they must, DC can give Williamson as many monthlies as they want. I can live with not reading about characters I love in their own books, I've done it before. What I can't live with is his status as an "architect" for the line or one more event comic from him.

He has been dragging down the line since Didio left, beginning with the very beginning of Infinite Frontier which turned out to be two years of empty build-ups leading to absolutely nowhere.

I know event comics aren't popular with a lot of people but I absolutely love them when I like them at all. IF, Dark Crisis, and Knight Terrors now and I'm down to about 2 titles a week at best. It's got me so out-of-habit in weekly reading I'm actually DC Infinite Ultra-waiting almost everything I want to read.

If I started collecting DC comics on a weekly basis when I was 4, which is about right, that's a 50 year record of buying anywhere between 5-15 titles a week, no matter how radically the price went up and continues to, just gone, just down the drain.

Wednesday used to be my only reliably good day each week, because it was new comic book day. I was excited when Wednesdays turned to Tuesdays, but that coincided with them handing over the keys to the not-bad-but-boring-as-hell new "architect" and new comic book day became meaningless to me for the first time in 50 dang years.

Thank goodness for Black Label. Waid's monthlies, anything by King, and most Black Label is all I'm excited for from DC to me anymore and I'm a DC-only fan which means comic book fandom is no longer much of a thing for me and that makes me so sad.

So I guess I didn't need all those "3-char/10-char" things at the top of my post. Once I get going, it's upsetting enough that I can't stop.

The answer to your question is NAY.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 08-01-2023 at 06:04 PM.

Maybe you should have a poll with this thread . . .

I didn't expect to enjoy it at all. Super-heroes in nightmares doesn't sound the least bit original or interesting but it turned out I've enjoyed almost all the titles I've picked up (13 plus the "main" titles). Some took directions I really did not expect--not just run from this horrific thing, then run from the next, then the next, etc. But in the end, if you pass on the entire event, I doubt you'll be missing anything in the "grand scheme of things."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Could have a been a cool self contained arc, but the amount of tie-ins and taking over the entire line was very unecessary.

I did enjoy Dark Crisis, but the enormous amount of DC events is beginning to drag on me. I do think this Knight Terrors, as the event itself, is a nice comic, but can't take out of me the feeling that this was originally a Deadman comic that got glorified into an event.

I was also enyojing Dawn of DC like ****, I supose mine is a very unique opinion, but, for me, personally, Dawn of DC is being DC's best material since Rebirth, to the point that I now feel like the latest 2-3 years have been all filler in a lot of series to build this. But I think Knight Terrors is kinda killing that momentum, I hope it recovers with september...

Also, not having my monthly Wonder Woman dosis sucks.

I won't care and also be more open minded about the event if they didn't froze the whole line for two f*cking months.
    It's like 20 or 30 tie-ins that will mostly likely be inconsequential to main plot just because they want to use this gimmick of stoping everything for two months... again!

Dark Crisis was not the best story ever, but it was perfect in terms of publishing an comic book event. Not many tie-ins and only to the books that really matter, so if you weren't really into it, you could just skip most part.

I'm looking forward to August 31 for the One Piece live action series and the end of Knight Terrors. That day can't come soon enough.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It's a nay for me Simon.

Taking a two month break except for the JSA this month and Teen Titans Worlds Finest.

Nay I'd say.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Nay.

Kind of reminds me of those random Sporanos episodes that were dreams of Tony’s. Kinda cool plots sometimes but didn’t really matter in the big picture and just seemed like filler for an episode count.

Plus, it totally sapped momentum of the Dawn effort which I’ve been enjoying a lot. And from a planning perspective, why start a new initiative if only to curtail it shortly after beginning?

The concept itself is pretty cool I think, and I am an on-again/off-again horror fan, but maybe it would have been better as a self contained event (Black Label maybe?) that didn’t take the place of the regular monthlies…
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

I managed to find the willpower to skip it. I thought I would regret it and rush out to find whatever issues were still at my shop but I actually don't wonder about it at all.

Maybe I am a little fatigued by comics so it was good timing.

The impact it has had on my excitement about Dawn of DC, as others have mentioned, it certainly noticeable. I went from thinking I wanted to add every title that was coming out to wondering if I even care about the ones I started already. Again that could be the annual fatigue but habit usually keeps me on books I probably would have dropped already.

Fantastic Member

You know, instead of "Blackest Night," "Knight Terrors," and all these alternative reality stories where things turn out worse than events did in the established history, why doesn't DC and Marvel do stories where things turned out happily for every one. For example, do a "What If" tale of the Titans Judas Contract, where Terra repented, got saved, and then married Beast Boy and they lived happily ever after. I'd pay good money for that. Or on the Marvel level, how about doing the same for Madeline Pryor. Her reformation and getting back to Scott would be a great storyline. Mr. Summer's hasn't been the hero he used to be since he left her.

Instead of "Knight Terrors," how about "Daydreams and Lollipops," where we see the pleasant dreams our favorite heroes have. For Jean Grey it could her having relationships with BOTH Scott and Wolverine. The best of both worlds, right? For Alfred Pennyworth, it would be a dream of him bossing Bruce around, or Dick Grayson finally getting his college degree from that Hudson University he was attending back in the seventies before he went into the Titans full time. Or Robotman from the Doom Patrol, just having a pleasant steak dinner.

Why does everything have to be so dark and depressing?

jthree

I liked the tie ins I picked up.