Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Doesn't this mean you shouldn't be arguing for Gwen to come back to life and reconciling with Peter? You should be arguing for Peter Parker and Betty Brant to get back together?
    Peter and Betty dated in a span of nine or so issues in the Lee Ditko Spider-Man era. The creators broke them up. Their intent was not to have them last as a couple. Gwen on the other hand. She was meant to stay with Peter.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Peter and Betty dated in a span of nine or so issues in the Lee Ditko Spider-Man era. The creators broke them up. Their intent was not to have them last as a couple. Gwen on the other hand. She was meant to stay with Peter.
    Those same creators also had Peter graduate High School and begin attending College. Change is inherit to Spider-Man.

Nothing, I've given up on 616 Peter and I'm the happiest I've been in years. There are so many other properties I can happily invest my time and fandom in without the constant frustration and sense of meaninglessness.

Edit - I still follow Miles and I'm looking forward to Superior but 616 Peter free is how I need to be, thus why I rarely post here anymore.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-04-2023 at 07:09 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

MJ would have still ended up the main love interest in the long run though

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    MJ would have still ended up the main love interest in the long run though
    Not if Stan had stayed on longer. You've had Lois Lane stay as Clark Kent's love interest from the start of the Superman books until now. Why wouldn't that have been the case with Gwen Stacy?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Not if Stan had stayed on longer. You've had Lois Lane stay as Clark Kent's love interest from the start of the Superman books until now. Why wouldn't that have been the case with Gwen Stacy?
    Under that logic Betty Brant or Liz Allen would have been the main love interest.

The readers responded well to MJ, Stan would have pivoted to her at some point. She was just the more interesting love interest

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm probably not in line with a ton of people, and certainly not Marvel.

But . . .

I want Spider-Man much more cordoned off from the rest of the MU. Not in the Avengers. I want his interactions with the greater MU to be limited to FF, Daredevil, and the Defenders types. (Can still have occasional appearances by Captain America or others, but mostly keep Spidey as a neighborhood hero.)

I want less events. Smaller stories. Street level. More stuff where Spidey/Peter is interacting with people in the neighborhood and helping out ordinary people.

I want the marriage back, mostly because it already happened and this is all cognitive dissonance. (I don't, however, want them to have kids in 616).

I want Peter's supporting cast to be (mostly) normal humans.

And I want an ongoing book for an alternate timeline for Spider-Man, earlier in his career, like Ultimate Spider-Man or Spidey.

It would also be nice to have a lot more stories that are only two issues.

Strongly agree with all of this.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Good question.

There is some small stuff I can get into later.

Otherwise, there is plenty of flexibility.

The important thing is good stories when there's so much to work with (arguably the best origin, best costume, best power set, best superhero, best supporting cast, best setting, best rogues gallery.)

I do think it's important that things change for Peter issue to issue. His previous adventures should have consequences.

Spider-Man has never been a conventional superhero comic, so there should be experiments like single-issue conversations or anniversary issues that are dream sequences where Peter wakes up with six arms.

He is complicated. There are weird traits about him that make him different from most superheroes. He has a temper. He can be indecisive.

He is also fundamentally decent, and willing to make sacrifices others won't. He is more of a superhero than most others. He will risk his life to save an enemy in situations where someone else might not. He will see the good in people, and try to bring it out. This is why the Lizard is my favorite Spider-Man villain; it is the core of the challenge for him. There's a reason so many of his enemies have become better people (at times) including Sandman, Doctor Octopus, Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn, Venom and even Carnage.
    So many great points in this post.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Another one, bring back many of Peter's supporting casts. The Wells' run seems to have an issue of not having many supporting characters for Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    And they’re all wrong. He’s always been tugged around by fate: partially because of his own inaction, partially because the writers don’t like character agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Tears4Fears View Post
    It's funny how a lot of the ideas on this thread are better than what we are getting within the current ASM run.
    Fans have less restrictions when spitballing.

So much of this is dependent on execution, like people saying they want to see more stories with obscure villains. Presumably they'll prefer a well written run with new villains or A-listers to poorly written stories about B and C-listers.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    And they’re all wrong. He’s always been tugged around by fate: partially because of his own inaction, partially because the writers don’t like character agency.
    Spider-Man has been a conventional superhero comic. He doesn't have top tier power-sets, supporting casts, rogues galleries, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-12-2023 at 08:05 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm probably not in line with a ton of people, and certainly not Marvel.

But . . .

I want Spider-Man much more cordoned off from the rest of the MU. Not in the Avengers. I want his interactions with the greater MU to be limited to FF, Daredevil, and the Defenders types. (Can still have occasional appearances by Captain America or others, but mostly keep Spidey as a neighborhood hero.)

I want less events. Smaller stories. Street level. More stuff where Spidey/Peter is interacting with people in the neighborhood and helping out ordinary people.

I want the marriage back, mostly because it already happened and this is all cognitive dissonance. (I don't, however, want them to have kids in 616).

I want Peter's supporting cast to be (mostly) normal humans.

And I want an ongoing book for an alternate timeline for Spider-Man, earlier in his career, like Ultimate Spider-Man or Spidey.

It would also be nice to have a lot more stories that are only two issues.
    I like a lot of this.

And Kurt Busiek's Untold Tales of Spider-man, the telling of another time book, was great.

I also liked how they did the May day book. Its in the future sometime.

BANNED

Feel free to call me a filthy shipper, but honestly all I really want out of Spider-man is Peter and MJ married again. So we can't pull crap like the current run ever again. Not that it'd be impossible for another writer to try this even with married MJ (I believe there's no low too cruel Marvel wouldn't go with her if they thought it'd get them 5 extra sales) but it would be far less likely. In general I feel these are two characters who just compliment each other perfectly. Peter, noble and good, but a little too in his own head and often putting himself at unnecessary risk. MJ, fun, empathetic and deeply caring, able to see what Peter can't about himself and help him be a better man and hero. They both bring out the best in each other and I feel the Spidey comics just haven't been the same with them split. It was nice having them dating in the Spencer run, but I feel it's time to get them married again and face new challenges together.

I would adore if we brought in Baby Mayday as well, while I'm at it. If only because it feels so weird how everyone around Peter is having kids BUT him.

Peter was grown up before, I believe he can be grown up again and still tell tons of fascinating stories with him no problem.

Astonishing Member

It feels weird how whitewashed characters like Peter and Jonah became. It’s like people just forgot what they’re original motives were.

While character development is real, it says a lot that even modern day Peter is still nicer than OG Peter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Feel free to call me a filthy shipper, but honestly all I really want out of Spider-man is Peter and MJ married again. So we can't pull crap like the current run ever again. Not that it'd be impossible for another writer to try this even with married MJ (I believe there's no low too cruel Marvel wouldn't go with her if they thought it'd get them 5 extra sales) but it would be far less likely. In general I feel these are two characters who just compliment each other perfectly. Peter, noble and good, but a little too in his own head and often putting himself at unnecessary risk. MJ, fun, empathetic and deeply caring, able to see what Peter can't about himself and help him be a better man and hero. They both bring out the best in each other and I feel the Spidey comics just haven't been the same with them split. It was nice having them dating in the Spencer run, but I feel it's time to get them married again and face new challenges together.

I would adore if we brought in Baby Mayday as well, while I'm at it. If only because it feels so weird how everyone around Peter is having kids BUT him.

Peter was grown up before, I believe he can be grown up again and still tell tons of fascinating stories with him no problem.
    I'd rather the Marvel Universe start from scratch, revising from 1961 to 2023 ala the Ultimate Universe and going from there than to revisit another marraige.

When they were married before, it was a completely different time - 1987.

Even if they did do a marriage issue again, it wouldn't be satisfying. It would just be reversed - the marraige fans disgruntled now would keep quiet on the forums and the anti-marriage group will become the vocal disgruntled.