Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

- Stop this ''will they or won't they'' with MJ, nobody, except editors, gives a **** about this soap opera element, it's outdated as hell. Just let them be together, and if writer doesn't want to use her (hi, Zeb, how are things going?), just send her away for a while, universe won't end, if there won't be a constant relationship drama.
    - Stop making Peter's life a living hell, the whole argument about this being ''relatability'' thing is another absolutely outdated element, which absolutely has to go.
    - Give Green Goblin and Doc Ock a rest for a while.
    - Give Peter some interesting career choices, maybe bring him back to teaching or something else, stop making him a jobless loser, yeah, another outdated element.
    - He has to be a competent, capable experienced hero, respected by the others. Let him actually win his fights. And stop forgetting about him actually being incredibly smart.

Astonishing Member

I want Spidey to have partner in superheroing. It’s annoying that he can have so much trouble yet so reluctant to get help. Preferably, I don’t want said partner to be a former supervillain.

I think it’s dumb to limit Peter to “street-level” since all it does is cordon him off in a section of the universe where things don’t matter.

I like him to actually have friends beyond MJ and interact with people.

I want him to tell Aunt May his secret. Not her walking in on him changing and finding out that way. That’s just a cop-out.

I want his old supervillains to be neutralized and retired. He doesn’t need them anymore.

Good question.

There is some small stuff I can get into later.

Otherwise, there is plenty of flexibility.

The important thing is good stories when there's so much to work with (arguably the best origin, best costume, best power set, best superhero, best supporting cast, best setting, best rogues gallery.)

I do think it's important that things change for Peter issue to issue. His previous adventures should have consequences.

Spider-Man has never been a conventional superhero comic, so there should be experiments like single-issue conversations or anniversary issues that are dream sequences where Peter wakes up with six arms.

He is complicated. There are weird traits about him that make him different from most superheroes. He has a temper. He can be indecisive.

He is also fundamentally decent, and willing to make sacrifices others won't. He is more of a superhero than most others. He will risk his life to save an enemy in situations where someone else might not. He will see the good in people, and try to bring it out. This is why the Lizard is my favorite Spider-Man villain; it is the core of the challenge for him. There's a reason so many of his enemies have become better people (at times) including Sandman, Doctor Octopus, Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn, Venom and even Carnage.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A bit more of a throwback to the 70s/80s run, every issue was mostly standalone with some plot points continuing through but you could jump ina and out and have a complete experience. Some lower stakes friendly neighborhood stuff. Big break from goblins.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think it’s dumb to limit Peter to “street-level” since all it does is cordon him off in a section of the universe where things don’t matter.
    I liked it when asm/spec/web wtc were street level and he would crossover into bigger events. Like captain universe spidey felt so weird at the time! But having him in outer space with the Avengers right after did not.

All-New Member

Never gonna happen again, but I honestly miss having a higher panel count, where writers can generate more story and character. I find modern Spider-Man books to read like pamphlets, and there is less attention to support characters and true subplotting in favor of stories that feel rushed.

Fantastic Member

I would forgive most everything, if we just had back a Spider-Man who was consistently as competent as he was prior to OMD

Incredible Member

A Ben Reilly on-going. I no longer care for reading about Peter Parker in any capacity. The only versions of Peter I remotely enjoy are Peter B, Garfields Peter from the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Insomniac Peter and the 90’ Animated Series Peter. I’ve pretty much been done with Peter Parker as a character for a while now so there is nothing more that they can do to disappoint me, or entertain me with, with Peter. I think Peter hit his peak with Dan Slott, and after all that, anything afterwards is hard to follow. So, I’m all for retiring the character and finally, totally passing the mantle over to Miles and Ben. Let’s milk that cow for 60 years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    I liked it when asm/spec/web wtc were street level and he would crossover into bigger events. Like captain universe spidey felt so weird at the time! But having him in outer space with the Avengers right after did not.
    Marvel Team-Up should be the more wild Spider-Man adventures

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    A Ben Reilly on-going. I no longer care for reading about Peter Parker in any capacity. The only versions of Peter I remotely enjoy are Peter B, Garfields Peter from the Amazing Spider-Man movies, Insomniac Peter and the 90’ Animated Series Peter. I’ve pretty much been done with Peter Parker as a character for a while now so there is nothing more that they can do to disappoint me, or entertain me with, with Peter. I think Peter hit his peak with Dan Slott, and after all that, anything afterwards is hard to follow. So, I’m all for retiring the character and finally, totally passing the mantle over to Miles and Ben. Let’s milk that cow for 60 years.
    What exactly about Slott's run made it peak?

BANNED

I think the one thing that really needs to happen is that Marvel needs have a secondary Spider-Man title that actually lasts more than a year or so

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    I think the one thing that really needs to happen is that Marvel needs have a secondary Spider-Man title that actually lasts more than a year or so
    What would the secondary title do that the first one can’t?

An option for people not enjoying ASM.

BANNED

If they'd offer a title that actually gave a significant number of people what they want? It would help offset the reactions.

I know if there was a RYV or MC2 title ongoing rn, I'd be enjoying that and probably not be nearly as frustrated at the state of ASM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    An option for people not enjoying ASM.
    There’s also other possible applications such as either just supplementing market demand (Paul Dini on Detective Comics when Grant Morrison is working on Batman) or acting as a sort of “apprentice” book where you can see who should get the big chair next (Scott Snyder on Detective Comics when Morrison was on Batman).

Generally, a purpose-built second book that actually becomes successful ends up being used to expand supporting characters and villains… which would be very useful for Spider-Man given how much modern runs on the book tend to be dominated by large scale stories that sort of crowd out more detailed development.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP