Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    There’s also other possible applications such as either just supplementing market demand (Paul Dini on Detective Comics when Grant Morrison is working on Batman) or acting as a sort of “apprentice” book where you can see who should get the big chair next (Scott Snyder on Detective Comics when Morrison was on Batman).

Generally, a purpose-built second book that actually becomes successful ends up being used to expand supporting characters and villains… which would be very useful for Spider-Man given how much modern runs on the book tend to be dominated by large scale stories that sort of crowd out more detailed development.
    Gerry Conway on Spectacular gave us Tombstone along with development for Robby

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Gerry Conway on Spectacular gave us Tombstone along with development for Robby
    True. It was so good, it even got adapted a fair bit in the 90s Spider-Man animated series with the episode(s) delving into how Tombstone became Tombstone and Robbie's relationship with him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Just give Peter a stable status quo and treat him with a respect.

More stories of Peter with his sister Teresa.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    An option for people not enjoying ASM.
    It's an option for people who don't like the writer's voice, but it's still going to be set in the same status quo.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

MJ in or out. I don't care which. Just make a gd decision already.

Pete as a science writer for the bugle.

More of a supporting cast. It just can't be MJ all day every day.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-04-2023 at 11:38 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

What exactly about Slott's run made it peak?
    Now this is just my opinion, because I enjoyed the entire Slott era. So my peak is not the peak for everyone.

To me, Parker Industries was Peak for the character. Peak growth (no matter how he got there). Everything that has followed, the resetting Peter back to, being a student, barely making rent…. We’ve done this song and dance before. I would have more than been happy to let Peter remain at the top, and let him hand over Spidy reigns full time over to Miles and Ben, putting Peter into a side role. Now, putting Peter where he’s at (again), it’s just beating a dead horse.

But I get it. I do. Peter Parker is Marvel Comics “Archie”. He must not change.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Now this is just my opinion, because I enjoyed the entire Slott era. So my peak is not the peak for everyone.

To me, Parker Industries was Peak for the character. Peak growth (no matter how he got there). Everything that has followed, the resetting Peter back to, being a student, barely making rent…. We’ve done this song and dance before. I would have more than been happy to let Peter remain at the top, and let him hand over Spidy reigns full time over to Miles and Ben, putting Peter into a side role. Now, putting Peter where he’s at (again), it’s just beating a dead horse.

But I get it. I do. Peter Parker is Marvel Comics “Archie”. He must not change.
    The whole Parker Inc thing wasn't really earned though. A wise writer would have slowly shown it being built up over time and over the course of 100 or issues it becomes an international company. I don't think Slott handled it well

• The return of Gwen Stacy (non-powered and not a clone) as Peter's girlfriend.
    • George Stacy back and would sort of be the Commissioner Gordon of the Spider-Man world
    • Peter working at the Daily Bugle as a photographer.
    • Gwen working as a pharmaceutical scientist and would sometimes help Peter with Spider-Man problems.
    • Ben Reilly as the a heroic Scarlet Spider in another city.
    • Kaine as the more antiheroic Crimson Spider in another city.
    • Mary Jane as a friend but not love interest.
    • Flash Thompson as Agent Anti-Venom and friend of Peter who sometimes teams up with Spider-Man.
    • Harry Osborn brought back as Peter's friend.
    • Eddie Brock as an anti-heroic Venom.
    • Jameson doesn't know that Peter is Spider-Man.
    • Norman as the Green Goblin and doesn't know that Peter is Spider-Man.
    • Aunt May alive and doesn't know that her nephew is Spider-Man.
    • Curt Connors' family are human and he occasionally turns into the Lizard.
    • Kingpin, Tombstone, and Silvermane are the leading mob bosses who frequently butt heads with Hammerhead working with whoever is most convenient.
    • Peter as the only person who uses the name Spider-Man in 616.
    • Silk has a different origin.
    • Madame Web back and Julia Carpenter can see and has her old Spider-Woman costume with maybe a new name or just as another Spider-Woman who would acknowledge that Jessica is still the default.
    • Jessica having the kid retconned away.
    • The real Kraven back instead of a clone.
    • Kraven and Chameleon not as brothers.
    • The Ultimate characters back in their universe.
    • Hobie back as Prowler again.
    • Sandman's real name as Flint Marko.
    • Rhino not Russian.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

The whole Parker Inc thing wasn't really earned though. A wise writer would have slowly shown it being built up over time and over the course of 100 or issues it becomes an international company. I don't think Slott handled it well
    Most aspects of superheroes aren’t really earned. He didn’t earn his superpowers. He made most of his money through scams. Aunt May also set him up with his future wife. He didn’t even have to tell her he was Spider-Man; she knew from the beginning.

Amazing Member

It's funny how a lot of the ideas on this thread are better than what we are getting within the current ASM run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tears4Fears View Post
    It's funny how a lot of the ideas on this thread are better than what we are getting within the current ASM run.
    An extremely low bar.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    Just give Peter a stable status quo and treat him with a respect.
    Or the opposite: treat him with respect by not giving him a status quo. Let his stories expand beyond being confined to his “classic” adventures.

I think the whole label and idea of status quo has been so demonized and it yields shoddy results. Is it status quo to keep a character's classic setting. If you keep changing it, how are you respecting or keeping alive the idea that was so successful in the first place? The people who want Peter to be married to Mary Jane want the status quo that had been going until the mid 00s. The Spider-Man of that era. And a lot of those people also want him to have kids. And while I know it it not popular to say and people will compare me to Quesada, I think characters ought to stay in a similar place if they are in a universe with a sliding timeline. These are stories that son't stop and the creators have a duty to maintain the essence of the characters that they are writing. If we love these characters, we should want them to be in the public consciousness far into the future. And not changed through a game of telephone. And good writers and maintain the essence of the character and create new and interesting concepts while not resorting to tearing down the classic aspects or forcing the character into roles that would not be smart in the longrun.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think the whole label and idea of status quo has been so demonized and it yields shoddy results. Is it status quo to keep a character's classic setting. If you keep changing it, how are you respecting or keeping alive the idea that was so successful in the first place? The people who want Peter to be married to Mary Jane want the status quo that had been going until the mid 00s. The Spider-Man of that era. And a lot of those people also want him to have kids. And while I know it it not popular to say and people will compare me to Quesada, I think characters ought to stay in a similar place if they are in a universe with a sliding timeline. These are stories that son't stop and the creators have a duty to maintain the essence of the characters that they are writing. If we love these characters, we should want them to be in the public consciousness far into the future. And not changed through a game of telephone. And good writers and maintain the essence of the character and create new and interesting concepts while not resorting to tearing down the classic aspects or forcing the character into roles that would not be smart in the longrun.
    Doesn't this mean you shouldn't be arguing for Gwen to come back to life and reconciling with Peter? You should be arguing for Peter Parker and Betty Brant to get back together?
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 08-04-2023 at 06:31 PM.