Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Just played by the same person it'll probably be a new WW.

Haha yeah that won't confuse anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Haha yeah that won't confuse anybody.
    I don't remember anyone being confused that much by all the dr strange plays by the same person in the same movie or Judi Dench playing 2 different Ms in bond the GA isn't really going to care.

Retired

The best way to understand the Snyderverse is every movie is set in its own continuity. We can just suppose that at the end of every movie the Flash travels back in time and the next movie will start over in a similar but different timeline.

New batman and cast
    New superman and cast
    Maybe new flash and cast

Same wonder woman
    Same aquaman
    Same harley maybe
    Same ammanda waller
    Same peacemaker
    Same shazam says actor
    Same ratcatcher maybe

This really is feeling like crisis type reboot of "change a few, keep the rest".

They just need to full on reboot to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    New batman and cast
    New superman and cast
    Maybe new flash and cast

Same wonder woman
    Same aquaman
    Same harley maybe
    Same ammanda waller
    Same peacemaker
    Same shazam says actor
    Same ratcatcher maybe

This really is feeling like crisis type reboot of "change a few, keep the rest".

I agree now is the time. Don't complicate things get actors get some fresh cheaper talented faces who can grow into their roles. Couple that with giving them some good material to work with finally and they can dig themselves out of a self created hole. There is no reason that they cant get these big characters in successful franchises consistently.

Retired

I can understand people's gut feeling that a complete reboot is in order, but what actual facts do they have that prove this would be a good idea? While there have been individual franchises that have rebooted, what we have here is a slate of interconnected franchises, a super-franchise, all of it being rebooted. When has that happened before?

Maybe the Fox X-Men franchise could be called a super-franchise, since it had other movies branching off from it. But when they rebooted that franchise, they kept some actors from the previous iteration. You could maybe call the Star Wars movies and T.V. shows a super-franchise--but they haven't exactly rebooted--they've kept some actors and recast others. Star Trek has rebooted, while at the same time keeping actors from the other universe.

In the comic books, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS didn't restart from the beginning. Some comics rebooted the characters, others didn't. Some titles got new editors/writers/artists, others didn't. When the Arrowverse had its Crisis, some things were completely rebooted, but a lot stayed the same. T.V. shows like STARGIRL and SUPERMAN AND LOIS are supposed to be in new universes created by the Crisis--yet SUPERMAN AND LOIS kept Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch from the Supergirl universe. And John Wesley Shipp has been different versions of the Flash across several different T.V. shows and several different universes.

Marvel might be preparing to do a soft reboot to their cinematic super-franchise, introducing several different versions of the same characters across the multiverse. And while that super-franchise was bought by Disney in 2009, it existed before Disney. THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2008) was one of the first movies to set up the super-franchise, tying in with IRON MAN--yet that movie exists in a weird nether realm, since Universal holds the distribution rights. Parts of that movie and the actors could be within Marvel's super-franchise, others not.

As they assimilate the Fox X-Men and Fantastic Four into the Marvel super-franchise--how much will they bring over from those previous franchises? It seems like they will try to use Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool to bridge the gap between universes.

I can understand people's gut feeling that a complete reboot is in order, but what actual facts do they have that prove this would be a good idea?
    No dcu film post aquaman has even made it to $400m might be a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    New batman and cast
    New superman and cast
    Maybe new flash and cast

Same wonder woman
    Same aquaman
    Same harley maybe
    Same ammanda waller
    Same peacemaker
    Same shazam says actor
    Same ratcatcher maybe

Maybe they are just doing a Facts of Life DC Movieverse...You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can understand people's gut feeling that a complete reboot is in order, but what actual facts do they have that prove this would be a good idea? While there have been individual franchises that have rebooted, what we have here is a slate of interconnected franchises, a super-franchise, all of it being rebooted. When has that happened before?

Maybe the Fox X-Men franchise could be called a super-franchise, since it had other movies branching off from it. But when they rebooted that franchise, they kept some actors from the previous iteration. You could maybe call the Star Wars movies and T.V. shows a super-franchise--but they haven't exactly rebooted--they've kept some actors and recast others. Star Trek has rebooted, while at the same time keeping actors from the other universe.

In the comic books, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS didn't restart from the beginning. Some comics rebooted the characters, others didn't. Some titles got new editors/writers/artists, others didn't. When the Arrowverse had its Crisis, some things were completely rebooted, but a lot stayed the same. T.V. shows like STARGIRL and SUPERMAN AND LOIS are supposed to be in new universes created by the Crisis--yet SUPERMAN AND LOIS kept Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch from the Supergirl universe. And John Wesley Shipp has been different versions of the Flash across several different T.V. shows and several different universes.

Marvel might be preparing to do a soft reboot to their cinematic super-franchise, introducing several different versions of the same characters across the multiverse. And while that super-franchise was bought by Disney in 2009, it existed before Disney. THE INCREDIBLE HULK (2008) was one of the first movies to set up the super-franchise, tying in with IRON MAN--yet that movie exists in a weird nether realm, since Universal holds the distribution rights. Parts of that movie and the actors could be within Marvel's super-franchise, others not.

As they assimilate the Fox X-Men and Fantastic Four into the Marvel super-franchise--how much will they bring over from those previous franchises? It seems like they will try to use Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool to bridge the gap between universes.
    I personally hope they dont bring any of the old cast. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool would work simply by the nature of his character. He can joke about it, and it would be perfectly in character and need no explanations why everyone else is new.

The biggest part of course is trying to shoehorn in the old offshoots what lessons did the producers learn of the past failures, or mistakes? Clean slate to me makes it easier in case they learned the wrong lessons.

Astonishing Member

More origin stories! More origin stories! That's what we need. New folks going over that Bats is nuts because of his parents, Kal came from Krypton, WW is an Amazon!

Let us never forget!

Or how about something different. If a reboot means an origin story told in a new writer's or director's take - FLOPBUSTER!

Let's not forget Kal falling for Lois - yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Gal Gadot Developing Wonder Woman 3 With James Gunn, Peter Safran (Exclusive)

I much prefer a new actress over keeping Gadot. I want a clean slate, but hey if Gunn and Safran wants to keep her fine, but I’m considerably less excited though.
    Gunn made it clear he was not dumping everything. I seriously doubt they will dump WW or Aquaman.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I don't remember anyone being confused that much by all the dr strange plays by the same person in the same movie or Judi Dench playing 2 different Ms in bond the GA isn't really going to care.
    That's not the same thing. If there's two people who look the same, people will understand they're different versions of each other. But making a new movie with just 1 regular Wonder Woman but it's actually not the same one as the previous movies because it's actually a new continuity and not the third installment of a trilogy? That's a lot more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    That's not the same thing. If there's two people who look the same, people will understand they're different versions of each other. But making a new movie with just 1 regular Wonder Woman but it's actually not the same one as the previous movies because it's actually a new continuity and not the third installment of a trilogy? That's a lot more complicated.
    I suspect the history from the first two WW movies will be intact, just not JL or B v S.
    Power with Girl is better.

We've seen this happen in comics all the time - some stuff in the past might be canon, some stuff might not be and they'll be explicit about changes, like the League not existing. I expect the Themyscira tv show will be very relevant and they'll just ignore the specifics of Diana's past without outright contradicting her previous films, just so we won't have to deal with another origin story.

DC has never met a reboot they haven't been at least somewhat wishy-washy on .