View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Gal Coming Back?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • I’m Excited About it! This is the Right Decision

18 43.90%
  • I’m Disappointed. I Wanted A New Actress!

17 41.46%
  • I’m Indifferent Towards This News.

6 14.63%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Gadot is nowhere near as beloved in the role. Her acting has been criticized, her delivery of KAL-EL NO was memed to death. Outside of the first WW her tenure with the character can hardly be described as a success. WW1984 was a disappointment, JL was a flop, ZSJL was an underperformer, Shazam 2 flopped, and The Flash flopped. If they’re seriously going to end Momoa’s tenure as Aquaman and recast him as Lobo it makes no sense to keep Gadot as WW. If you were to recast her at this point the general public would not mind at all.
    If you are gonna blame the failure of The Flash, Shazam 2, BA, JL, ZSJL and WW84 partially on Gadot, then it would be equally "fair" to blame all of the other actors involved in those films for their respective failures, and it would be equally fair to give Gadot the credit for being the JL member to headline THE second most successful solo film in the DCEU (after Aquaman), 2017's Wonder Woman. That is why it's not outlandish for WB to want to maybe hold on to her...as opposed to Cavill or Affleck, whose tenure as Bats and Supes was never embraced by general audiences like Gadot and Momoa were.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 08-03-2023 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Cuz WW is not the most successful solo DCEU film.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    She's not as beloved as Jackman, but she's the definitive Wonder Woman for a lot of people. The general public wouldn't mind if they recast her right which is not an easy task.
    You’re right, but the funny thing is Gadot’s WW comes with a bunch of baggage this subforum in particular dislikes: Zeus being her father, Gadot “quitting” on the world after WW1, the rape stuff with Steve in WW1984, the botched handling of Cheetah and Ares, Etta and Steve being dead after WW1, the Amazons being cut off from Diana, etc. Giving Gadot another movie means you’re stuck with that for longer (which also means the comics are not ditching the Daddy Zeus because of synergy). So if you guys want a WW closer to what this subforum prefers (Etta and Steve alive, clay baby, etc) you need a film reboot to get that. If Gadot gets cemented as the One True WW that means all of the baggage I outlined gets cemented as the “right” way to do her.
    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    If you are gonna blame the failure of The Flash, Shazam 2, BA, JL, ZSJL and WW84 partially on Gadot, then it would be equally "fair" to blame all of the other actors involved in those films for their respective failures, and it would be equally fair to give Gadot the credit for being the one solo JL member to have THE second most successful solo film in the DCEU, 2017's Wonder Woman. That is why it's not outlandish for WB to want to maybe hold on to her...as opposed to Cavill or Affleck, whose tenure as Bats and Supes was never embraced by general audiences like Gadot and Momoa were.
    I don’t blame her, but I view her appearance in those as decreasing the affection the general public has for her portrayal. She’s been in more flops than successes, she’s associated with the dumpster fire Snyderverse. She has the best movie of the entire DCEU and if WW1984 hadn’t been an disappointment I would understand keeping her, but they botched that sequel and I think it would be better to reboot her along with Supes and Bats. And I hate Cavill & Affleck’s takes and absolutely view them as more culpable than her in the DCEU going to hell. Trust me I am very happy that Cavill is gone and his baggage with him, I’m ready for Corenswet to take on the role.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-03-2023 at 01:52 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

You’re right, but the funny thing is Gadot’s WW comes with a bunch of baggage this subforum in particular dislikes: Zeus being her father, Gadot “quitting” on the world after WW1, the rape stuff with Steve in WW1984, the botched handling of Cheetah and Ares, Etta and Steve being dead after WW1, the Amazons being cut off from Diana, etc. Giving Gadot another movie means you’re stuck with that for longer (which also means the comics are not ditching the Daddy Zeus because of synergy). So if you guys want a WW closer to what this subforum prefers (Etta and Steve alive, clay baby, etc) you need a film reboot to get that. If Gadot gets cemented as the One True WW that means all of the baggage I outlined gets cemented as the “right” way to do her.
    A reboot doesn't guarantee the clay origin and everything else. For all we know, Gunn might pull another Legacy and just surround her with a bunch of C-list heroes and have her fight Peacemaker or something

First WW movie was a big hit for DC and was very well received, I think that studio will try to change as little as possible if they try to reboot.

I have a feeling that Gunn was merely playing it coy with her like he did with Levi. Doubt this is actually going to happen but I suppose we will have to wait and see. After The Flash flopped as bad as it did, I expect a full reboot.
    She didn't have any movies asides of cameos in couple of movies, not really comparable to him playing coy about Levi, Erza and now Blue Beetle.

What a certain...um...fandom does not want to admit is that through all the drama that the DCEU was, only three elements of Snyder's grand universe hit the spot for general audiences: Momoa's Aquaman, Robbie's Harley Quinn, and Gadot's Wonder Woman. Cavill & Affleck did not captivate the GA in the manner that Snyder or the studio hoped playing two thirds of the Trinity. We can talk about baggage and audience confusion and conflicting timelines all we want, but general audiences only care about being entertained by actors that are charming and thoroughly convey the essence of these characters. Robbie, Gadot and Momoa did just that as Harleen, Diana & Arthur. So yeah, I will be mega happy if this turns out to be true.

What a certain...um...fandom does not want to admit is that through all the drama that the DCEU was, only three elements of Snyder's grand universe hit the spot for general audiences: Momoa's Aquaman, Robbie's Harley Quinn, and Gadot's Wonder Woman. Cavill & Affleck did not captivate the GA in the manner that Snyder or the studio hoped playing two thirds of the Trinity. We can talk about baggage and audience confusion and conflicting timelines all we want, but general audiences only care about being entertained by actors that are charming and thoroughly convey the essence of these characters. Robbie, Gadot and Momoa did just that as Harleen, Diana & Arthur. So yeah, I will be mega happy if this turns out to be true.
    I totally disagree regarding Cavill, he's the best live action Superman in my lifetime and I grew up on Christopher Reeve. Anything wrong with his portrayal could be fixed with a decent script for Man of Steel 2. He nailed his part far better than Gal Gadot did if you ask me.

The box office results of two out of three movies Quinn starred in versus the ones Snyder directed or wrote for (two of which also starred Gadot) would say otherwise. Most of supposed hate for Affleck and Cavill seemed more from comic fans while general audiences were more split at worst. It's not unlike how most of the hate for Gadot also comes from comic fans who feel she doesn't embody Wonder Woman as they see her.

I also don't see why you had to even bring Snyder into this because his fans aren't the ones who primarily criticize Gadot. That comes far more from people who dislike his movies and see Gadot as a reminder of his work if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The box office results of two out of three movies Quinn starred in versus the ones Snyder directed or wrote for (two of which also starred Gadot) would say otherwise.
    Snyder Stans always "forget" that box office results (in terms of total box office) only tells part of the story. BVS's overall box office was bigger than Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad, but BVS's absolutely pathetic internal multiplier (domestic and globally) shows that the word of mouth was tepid at best, and general audiences hated BVS; that gigantic OW was simply due to the promise of seeing the Trinity together. It was one of the most divisive CBMs ever, and it got horrid reviews from general audiences and critics. We all know who are the only people who love BVS with all their heart (a small yet vocal online minority that has been called a cult more than once). Man of Steel was not as reviled as BVS, but its internal multi did not hint at the GA loving what they saw (now look at the fantastic internal multipliers of Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman and James Wan's Aquaman, and you will understand why those two got sequels, while Man Of Steel never did).

Cavill & Affleck were not hated. They were simply ignored by the GA, and very few people outside the small "army" of Snyder stans considers them outstanding as Supes and Batsy.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 08-08-2023 at 01:12 AM.

Snyder Stans always "forget" that box office results (in terms of total box office) only tells part of the story. BVS's overall box office was bigger than Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad, but BVS's absolutely pathetic internal multiplier (domestic and globally) shows that the word of mouth was tepid at best, and general audiences hated BVS; that gigantic OW was simply due to the promise of seeing the Trinity together. It was one of the most divisive CBMs ever, and it got horrid reviews from general audiences and critics. We all know who are the only people who love BVS with all their heart (a small yet vocal online minority that has been called a cult more than once). Man of Steel was not as reviled as BVS, but its internal multi did not hint at the GA loving what they saw (now look at the fantastic internal multipliers of Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman and James Wan's Aquaman, and you will understand why those two got sequels, while Man Of Steel never did).

Cavill & Affleck were not hated. They were simply ignored by the GA, and very few people outside the small "army" of Snyder stans considers them outstanding as Supes and Batsy.
    The hatred general audiences have for those films is widely overstated and most of it is just an echo from loud comic fans. There are films with significantly worse second weekend dropoffs than BvS and it doesn't even make the top 100 when it comes to that list. As far as big franchise films go that did worse than Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, they include The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Alien: Covenant, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Paranormal Activity 4, Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, Predators, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) and Friday the 13th (2009).

Even if you despise some of the films on that list, no one would dispute they were financial successes. BvS made 873 million worldwide. Domestically and worldwide, it is the third best-selling movie with Batman in it and was the sixth best-selling video title of 2016. It was the #1 best-selling DVD for four weeks and the #1 best-selling Blu-ray for three weeks. Now to date the film has made over $78.3 million in revenue, with over $22.3 million of that coming from DVDs and over $56 million of that coming from Blu-Rays. Warner Bros absolutely did make a profit from BvS. And as far as audience responses, that was mixed to positive. The only reason Man of Steel and BvS are seen as flops is because they didn't make as much as Civil War or other big MCU releases. Ironically, we're seeing this same idiotic narrative affect other MCU films released after Endgame regardless of how much money they actually make. Hell, people who are inclined to hate everything DC does made this same claim of the first Wonder Woman movie because of inane expectations of the numbers these characters should make just to have something to blame Snyder for.

And again, Snyder fans aren't the ones against Gadot coming back as Wonder Woman. The people who hate Snyder are the ones most vocal against her. So I don't know how that is relevant other than you wanting to complain about Snyder or his fans in a conversation that has nothing to do with them.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-08-2023 at 02:35 AM.

I think some are angry that Gadot might be back, but Cavill is out. But even then, they are mostly angry at WB and Gunn, not Gadot.

The first Wonder Woman is still the DCEU's only good movie so I have the teeniest tiniest bit of faith WW3 could be good. Then again, WW84 is arguably their worst, so who knows. In any case it could be a good way to kill off or retire Diana and replace her with Donna, Cassie, Nubia, or Yara for the shared universe going forward. Yara would be my preferred choice. Maybe Diana can become Queen of the Amazons at the end of WW3 necessitating the selection of a new Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Excerpt from an interview with Gal Gadot:

Talking of Wonder Woman, there has been much speculation around whether a third installment of the series is on the way with many fearing there wouldn’t be. However, Gadot says she recently spoke to filmmaker James Gunn— who has now moved from Marvel to DC—and was assured that there will be another edition of the franchise and that she will be a part of it. “I was invited to a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran [co-chairperson and CEO of DC alongside Gunn] and what they told me, and I’m quoting: ‘You’re in the best hands. We’re going to develop Wonder Woman 3 with you. [We] love you as Wonder Woman— you’ve got nothing to worry about.’ So time will tell,” Gadot smiles, confident about her future with DC.

https://flaunt.com/post/gal-gadot-th...al-flame-issue

You can't finish typing Patty Jenkins' name on these boards before someone crawls out of the woodwork to tell us how awful WW84 was. I'm convinced those are Snyder fans--desperate to shift the DCEU's failure onto someone other than Snyder. It's probably the same contingent that doesn't want to see Gal come back. Her return would just underscore the goodwill that still surrounds Jenkins' work, while Snyder's fans seethe.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Excerpt from an interview with Gal Gadot:

Talking of Wonder Woman, there has been much speculation around whether a third installment of the series is on the way with many fearing there wouldn’t be. However, Gadot says she recently spoke to filmmaker James Gunn— who has now moved from Marvel to DC—and was assured that there will be another edition of the franchise and that she will be a part of it. “I was invited to a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran [co-chairperson and CEO of DC alongside Gunn] and what they told me, and I’m quoting: ‘You’re in the best hands. We’re going to develop Wonder Woman 3 with you. [We] love you as Wonder Woman— you’ve got nothing to worry about.’ So time will tell,” Gadot smiles, confident about her future with DC.

https://flaunt.com/post/gal-gadot-th...al-flame-issue
    People often talk about sexism, and I think this Wonder Woman situation is a perfect example of how insidious and surreptitious sexism is. Youtube and all sorts of nerd media are running this narrative that Gadot walked away from the conversation with Gunn and Safran, "confused" or "with a misunderstanding." I'm not certain how a woman who has been in the entertainment business for more than a decade at this point, has her own production company and has a team of people including legal, pr, and agents can walk away from a professional meeting with a "misunderstanding."

Then when Ayer says Gunn may release the Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad; a lot of these same channels are taking Ayer for his word. Even though I'm not even certain if they had an official meeting.

This is what people mean about some of the seemingly benign ways white men are just believed in ways that women and nonwhite people aren't. I'm not saying that Gadot will definitely make Wonder Woman 3. I can't see the future. I am saying I believe she met with Gunn and Safron with her team and this was discussed, including her above quote.

I'm simply annoyed - angry actually - at this narrative that Gadot is "confused" as if she isn't a professional businesswoman.

As for Wonder Woman III, I hope it is made. I think this is simply to close off her trilogy. I hope there aren't any crossovers, no need for world-building, no need to pass the torch. Just give me a Wonder Woman in contemporary times battling Circe. In my dream world, Circe - Maggie Q or Michelle Yeoh - and Giganta - Charlize Theron? - are the big bads. I would also love Meryl Streep to be Veronica Cale.

While Gadot has gotten into trouble in the past over what she has said or posted (usually about the Palestine/Israel conflict, the ill adviced 'Imagine' video), I noticed that she is usually more careful about what she says regarding the entertainment business. Her responses to the Joss Whedon stuff were very curated, even when she finally spilled the beans on him.

So I don't think she is confused or misunderstood what Gunn said like some Snyderbros claim. I don't think she would make such a declaration if she wasn't sure about it.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly