Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who’s The Best Lesser Known DC Characters?

For me:

The Question.
    Hawkgirl.
    Jessica Cruz.
    The Doom Patrol.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Mighty Member

For me it's a long list:

1) Atom Smasher
    2) Hourman
    3) Sand
    4) Fire
    5) The Question
    6) Animal Man
    7) Ice
    8) Blue Beetle

By lesser known i thought you guys would say someone like Bushido or something like that.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    By lesser known i thought you guys would say someone like Bushido or something like that.
    Yeah, I think of 'lesser known' as people who've never had a solo book or serious TV or movie appearance. But favorites of mine Conner Kent, Booster Gold and Vixen are certainly 'lesser known' than, say, Batman, even if they aren't exactly nobodies (Booster and Conner having had their own books for a bit, and Vixen quite a few TV appearances).

And then there's the real <C list. Like Kole, of the Teen Titans, whom I love. Or many of the Legion of Super-Heroes, but especially Shadow Lass. Sargon the Sorcerer and Dr. Mist, my favorites of DC's many great mystical characters.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-03-2023 at 07:30 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

OMAC
    Plastic Man
    Amethyst
    "Cable was right!"

Hero Cruz.
    He’s a young, low key, but potentially interesting character.

His powerset, between his Achilles Vest and H-Dial can be all kinds of formidable, and his friendship w. Rex the Wonderdog links him to a lot of DC history and it’s magical side to boot.

Add to that the fact that he’s his own person, not (yet another) sidekick to trying to break out on their own, and yeah he’s a character I really like and think deserves some kind of spotlight.

Hero Cruz is a solid answer (and a great character)

Yeah, I think there's a distinction between lesser known characters and "deep dive" characters. As others have said, you could argue folks like Booster Gold, The Question, Vixen, and my pick of Metamorpho could all qualify as lesser knowns. But all of them have featured in their own books or been part of major team runs, as well as usually being go-tos for any giant "assemble all the heroes" scenes in the event-of-the-month titles. So I'm going to focus on the best "deep dive" characters, in my opinion.

1. Oddman
    2. Tsunami
    3. Dr. Occult
    4. Max Mercury
    5. Skyrocket
    6. Aztek
    7. Bumblebee
    8. August General in Iron
    9. Celsius
    10. Black Condor
    11. Firehawk
    12. Tasmanian Devil

Definitely, these would be my choices...

• Captain Atom (Nate Adams)

• Firestorm: The Nuclear Man

• Hawk & Dove (Holly & Dawn)

• Jason Todd: Red Hood

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-02-2023 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Nightshade
    Max Mercury
    Amazing Man (Will Everett)
    Orion
    Jakeem Thunder
    Rama
    Aztek
    Dr Light
    + too many Legion characters to name
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Vixen for sure.

I also wish The Atom were better known.

Astonishing Member

Jack Knight. I think Starman is the best comic 99% of even comic readers have never looked at.

There's lots of lesser known characters I like or have a fondness for or would like to see explored more. But Jack Knight is a fully realized, fully incredible character. He got what you want your "unknown" favorite to have and it was an A+. Of all the obscure unknowns, I think Jack Knight is leaps and bounds above them all. At least that's how I define "best" in this case -- the best character in actual comics.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hawk & Dove[/B] (Holly & Dawn)
    ^^^This, but w. Hank!

(never have I ever been a Holly fan)

Hunh, I was hoping for some obscure characters.... mostly B and C-listers here.

I'mma put in Scorch.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hunh, I was hoping for some obscure characters.... mostly B and C-listers here.
    ^^^Cant they be both?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Hero Cruz is a solid answer (and a great character)

Yeah, I think there's a distinction between lesser known characters and "deep dive" characters. As others have said, you could argue folks like Booster Gold, The Question, Vixen, and my pick of Metamorpho could all qualify as lesser knowns. But all of them have featured in their own books or been part of major team runs, as well as usually being go-tos for any giant "assemble all the heroes" scenes in the event-of-the-month titles. So I'm going to focus on the best "deep dive" characters, in my opinion.

1. Oddman
    2. Tsunami
    3. Dr. Occult
    4. Max Mercury
    5. Skyrocket
    6. Aztek
    7. Bumblebee
    8. August General in Iron
    9. Celsius
    10. Black Condor
    11. Firehawk
    12. Tasmanian Devil
    Ooh, Firehawk, Celsius, Bumblebee, Aztek and Skyrocket would totally have been on my list, if I'd remembered them! (Also Air Wave and Striker Z, whom that list reminds me of.)

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron
    Nightshade
    Max Mercury
    Amazing Man (Will Everett)
    Orion
    Jakeem Thunder
    Rama
    Aztek
    Dr Light
    + too many Legion characters to name
    Nightshade, Amazing Man and 'too many Legion characters to name' also completely belong on my list!

But for really obscure, I like a lot of Legion-adjacent characters like Academy recruits Nightwind, Lamprey, Karate Kid II/Myg and Crystal Kid, or Heroes of Lallor Evolvo Lad and Gas Girl, or heroes of other worlds like Xera of Manna-5 and Silver Sword, whom we've rarely or barely even seen. Also less-used actual Legionnaires, from older characters like Tyroc, to new blood like Dragonwing, or Glorith II or reboot / threeboot characters like Dragonmage, Gates, Kid Quantum II, Gazelle, Dream Boy, Turtle and Theena.

For more obscure modern-day characters, some of the Global Guardians sound super-cool, like Tuatara (precognitive hand-to-hand fighter who also is a super-detective able to view the past of a crime scene? Yes, please!) or Bushmaster ('Batman' using reptile themed gadgets?) or Thunderlord (more dedicated sonic-character than Black Canary, which amuses me, the Asian dude being *less* of a martial artist than the western sonic-blaster).
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-03-2023 at 07:29 AM.