Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Captain Comet - all the makings of an A-lister (cool costume, really powerful with a varied powerset, an interesting and unique background, tons of potential...), however he never really made it big. Still my favorite DC character, though.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Cant they be both?
    obscure AND a B or C lister? well... I'd say no. I'd say obscure is the tiers well below C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ooh, Firehawk, Celsius, Bumblebee, Aztek and Skyrocket would totally have been on my list, if I'd remembered them! (Also Air Wave and Striker Z, whom that list reminds me of.)
    Yeah this. when I read a list of "obscure" characters I wonder "will it be someone I've never heard of?" So far this thread has been disappointing.
    Nightshade, Amazing Man and 'too many Legion characters to name' also completely belong on my list!

But for really obscure, I like a lot of Legion-adjacent characters like Academy recruits Nightwind, Lamprey, Karate Kid II/Myg and Crystal Kid, or Heroes of Lallor Evolvo Lad and Gas Girl, or heroes of other worlds like Xera of Manna-5 and Silver Sword, whom we've rarely or barely even seen. Also less-used actual Legionnaires, from older characters like Tyroc, to new blood like Dragonwing, or Glorith II or reboot / threeboot characters like Dragonmage, Gates, Kid Quantum II, Gazelle, Dream Boy, Turtle and Theena.

For more obscure modern-day characters, some of the Global Guardians sound super-cool, like Tuatara (precognitive hand-to-hand fighter who also is a super-detective able to view the past of a crime scene? Yes, please!) or Bushmaster ('Batman' using reptile themed gadgets?) or Thunderlord (more dedicated sonic-character than Black Canary, which amuses me, the Asian dude being *less* of a martial artist than the western sonic-blaster).
    ooooh yes, now that caught my attention. Those legionnaires I've seen, but... I don't think they were in more than a few comics ever.

Tuatara though... ooh... neat idea, and not one I'm familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    obscure AND a B or C lister? well... I'd say no. I'd say obscure is the tiers well below C.

Yeah this. when I read a list of "obscure" characters I wonder "will it be someone I've never heard of?" So far this thread has been disappointing.
    ^^^Obscure by your definition is someone you personally haven’t heard of?

That’s…a strange definition.

Can be grouped in with "misc. Legion characters" I guess but I really liked the Wanderers and I wish they could come back.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Ooh, Firehawk, Celsius, Bumblebee, Aztek and Skyrocket would totally have been on my list, if I'd remembered them! (Also Air Wave and Striker Z, whom that list reminds me of.)

Nightshade, Amazing Man and 'too many Legion characters to name' also completely belong on my list!
    Air Wave, Striker Z, and Amazing Man are all fantastic picks (as is Captain Comet). And as arguably the biggest Nightshade cheerleader on these boards, I can't believe I didn't put her down!

But for really obscure, I like a lot of Legion-adjacent characters like Academy recruits Nightwind, Lamprey, Karate Kid II/Myg and Crystal Kid, or Heroes of Lallor Evolvo Lad and Gas Girl, or heroes of other worlds like Xera of Manna-5 and Silver Sword, whom we've rarely or barely even seen. Also less-used actual Legionnaires, from older characters like Tyroc, to new blood like Dragonwing, or Glorith II or reboot / threeboot characters like Dragonmage, Gates, Kid Quantum II, Gazelle, Dream Boy, Turtle and Theena.
    Not super well-versed in Legion, but those picks I recognize I like. I'd also add some of the Legion of Substitute Heroes (Chlorophyll Kid, Color Kid, Night Girl, Porcupine Pete) and the Wanderers (Celebrand, Psyche, Quantum Queen, Elvo, Dartalg, Ornitho, Immorto).

For more obscure modern-day characters, some of the Global Guardians sound super-cool, like Tuatara (precognitive hand-to-hand fighter who also is a super-detective able to view the past of a crime scene? Yes, please!) or Bushmaster ('Batman' using reptile themed gadgets?) or Thunderlord (more dedicated sonic-character than Black Canary, which amuses me, the Asian dude being *less* of a martial artist than the western sonic-blaster).
    I'm still surprised they never used Bushmaster in Batman Incorporated. Seems like a natural fit.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 08-03-2023 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Can be grouped in with "misc. Legion characters" I guess but I really liked the Wanderers and I wish they could come back.
    ^^^Yes!
    I mean, their designs were a little cheesy but it’s nothing an artistic redesign can’t fix.

^^^Yes!
    I mean, their designs were a little cheesy but it’s nothing an artistic redesign can’t fix.
    Yeah, somewhere between the goofy original look and the bland 80s redesign would be optimal, I think.

Retired

THE WANDERERS did get their own comic in 1988, which lasted for thirteen issues, during which they went through different redesigns. And Doug Moench was the writer. That's better than some other groups introduced by the Legion.

The concept of Madame Fatal was well ahead of its time. Maybe only now can such a character be done with the right sensitivity and wit needed. Madame Fatal is in reality Richard Stanton who disguises himself as an elderly woman to infiltrate underworld haunts.

The Ghost Patrol were relatively popular in the 1940s--appearing first in FLASH COMICS 29 (May 1942) and then going right up until the end of FLASH COMICS, issue 104 (February 1949). I don't understand why they were never brought back from the after life for another haunting.

PETER PANDA had his own comic in the 1950s (31 issues, 1953 - 1958). He was like the Cat in the Hat, but cuter and before the Cat first put on a Hat. The Panda took Jimmy and Janie Jones on amazing adventures into fantasy worlds.

Before it's too late, someone needs to get David Michelinie to write THE PYTHARIA CHRONICLES. Pytharia is the world that Michelinie's STARFIRE inhabited, as well as CLAW THE UNCONQUERED, which THE STAR HUNTERS visited in the 7th and last issue of their comic (October-November 1978). Michelinie never had the chance to tell the full story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Yeah, somewhere between the goofy original look and the bland 80s redesign would be optimal, I think.
    ^^^Exactly right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    THE WANDERERS did get their own comic in 1988, which lasted for thirteen issues, during which they went through different redesigns. And Doug Moench was the writer. That's better than some other groups introduced by the Legion.

The concept of Madame Fatal was well ahead of its time. Maybe only now can such a character be done with the right sensitivity and wit needed. Madame Fatal is in reality Richard Stanton who disguises himself as an elderly woman to infiltrate underworld haunts.

The Ghost Patrol were relatively popular in the 1940s--appearing first in FLASH COMICS 29 (May 1942) and then going right up until the end of FLASH COMICS, issue 104 (February 1949). I don't understand why they were never brought back from the after life for another haunting.

PETER PANDA had his own comic in the 1950s (31 issues, 1953 - 1958). He was like the Cat in the Hat, but cuter and before the Cat first put on a Hat. The Panda took Jimmy and Janie Jones on amazing adventures into fantasy worlds.

Before it's too late, someone needs to get David Michelinie to write THE PYTHARIA CHRONICLES. Pytharia is the world that Michelinie's STARFIRE inhabited, as well as CLAW THE UNCONQUERED, which THE STAR HUNTERS visited in the 7th and last issue of their comic (October-November 1978). Michelinie never had the chance to tell the full story.
    What great picks on your part.

I did like the Wanderers book as a kid, but/and it’s overdue for an update. The 31st century’s such a great place to set stories, and even the LoSH isn’t using it right now.

I remember seeing Madame Fatal on the cover of a Shade issue ages ago, and was actually pretty surprised at that.

Looking at the current Deadboy Detectives book, Ghost Patrol would so work right now; I’d never even heard of Peter Panda!

You’re really taking us back w. the Pytharia Chronicles family of titles wow.

Vril Dox
    Martin Stein
    Emil Hamilton
    Rampage
    Tellus
    Tigorr
    Primus

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Air Wave, Striker Z, and Amazing Man are all fantastic picks (as is Captain Comet). And as arguably the biggest Nightshade cheerleader on these boards, I can't believe I didn't put her down!
    Oh yes, Captain Comet totally belongs on my list! He was great.

I'd also add some of the Legion of Substitute Heroes (Chlorophyll Kid, Color Kid, Night Girl, Porcupine Pete) and the Wanderers (Celebrand, Psyche, Quantum Queen, Elvo, Dartalg, Ornitho, Immorto).
    The Wanderers always puzzled me because Quantum Queen and Psyche were great, and the dudes on the team, just, terrible.

Do love me some Subs, though. Even folks like Color Kid have scary useful abilities. (Bang, your corneas are black. Good luck hitting anything now that you're blind! And if that doesn't work, the air around you just turned black...) Chlorophyll Kid, unfortunately, tends to get pigeonholed into the 'plant controller' niche, even if that's not really what he does. He *makes plants grow.* He doesn't actually animate or control them. His power is 'okay,' he just has to throw the seeds of some dangerous alien plant at you, and let loose with his power. (Or, more creepily, an evil Chlorophyll Kid could toss a handful of spores at you and let loose *after you breath them in, filling your lungs with fungus!*)

I'm still surprised they never used Bushmaster in Batman Incorporated. Seems like a natural fit.
    Agreed, Bushmaster's kind of already the 'Batman of Venezuela.'

^^^Obscure by your definition is someone you personally haven’t heard of?

That’s…a strange definition.
    No. My definition of "obscure" is "e-list or lower".

B-list characters? obscure??? NO! It's almost the opposite of obscure.

Also Unknown Soldier and Enemy Ace

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    No. My definition of "obscure" is "e-list or lower".

B-list characters? obscure??? NO! It's almost the opposite of obscure.
    ^^^You and your crazy alphabet!

Extraordinary Member

How’s about the Manhunters?

There’s Dan Richards, Paul Kirk, Kate Spencer, and every retcon-happy writer’s favorite victim, Mark Shaw.

(Seriously, the sheer number of people who love retconning and repackaging Mark Shaw as whatever new villain they want is crazy.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP