Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Astonishing Iceman #1 - Review & Spoiler Thread

This was actually a great debut issue for Steve Orlando's Astonishing Iceman.

My attempt at a summary:

1) We begin so Social Media... Iceman the "mutant supremacist" has been seen around town but was killed "resisting arrest during the Mutant Massacre".

2) Followed by the preview pages... Orchis is trying to lure Iceman and remaining mutants into the public to capture/kill but attacking former user of Xperiance a mutant drug. Iceman saves the day and kisses his man goodbye.

3) Cut to the The Bloom, an Orchis station. They are pissed Drake is going to be a problem.

4) Antarctica - Iceman returns to his new home. Iceman is exhausted and creates "Clyde" an Ice golem that; whom he tells "After all I've done... modesty feels like hiding". Iceman reveals that post the HFG - Romeo never stopped believing he was still alive and using his empathy power (if someone more familiar can elaborate it would be appreciated) would be able to piece Iceman back together. The problem is Iceman himself can't seem to hold himself together too long and needs to be near Romeo and his Artic Palace.

5) Data Page - Memo from Woodrow Pequad to a "friend and fellow Judas" - stating the significance of the problem Iceman poses but "rest assured it won't last"

6) We then see Orchis letting loose Helium the unfreezable and his Elements of Doom attacking Long Island, NY... specifically the home Iceman's recently widowed mother.

TBC.

When I finished reading the issue it reminded me of a part 1 ending to the finale of a TV pilot. It left me wanting more. I enjoy the set up and it feels actually tied into current events. (Does Romeo or Iceman make an appearance in XM35 today?) Orlando is works much better focused on one character and the artist has a lot of potential.

I'm really looking forward to this ride. We are about 7-8 years of Iceman being out and proud. I'm so grateful.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This Was Good. I really Enjoyed it. 8/10

I was not expecting his Boyfriend being the reason that brought him back to life. Using the Power of Empathy is New.

Anyway, I don't have much to say, but this Issue was GOOD. I can't wait for Bobby to fight the "Elements of Doom" silly name. But, this was Great.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

This was a cute first issue and Bobby's current situation is very interesting. I have been indifferent about Romeo but he really came through for Bobby as he pieced him together and pretty much holds him together. The implications of all of this are intriguing because is Bobby basically living without a body? How will he return to his normal state? Will he ever? We shall see.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

The only thing I didnt really like is how he came back but itll be intriguing to see what Orlando does with this mini.

Incredible Member

Iceman's douchebag dad is dead?

YAY!

Love Romeo not sure I like the codependancy subtext

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Iceman's douchebag dad is dead?

YAY!
    God sent him the gift of cancer.

Isn't Kitty's dad dead too?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Yeah. Dude picked a really bad time to go vacationing in Genosha.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

For someone who saw cancer death up closely, trust me, it is never a gift from God and not something you joke.

Personally, I hate your remark, big time.

Next time think a few seconds before you make a joke about people dying.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 08-02-2023 at 11:28 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Mighty Member

Romeo brought Mr Omega level threat mutant who can’t die with the power of empathy and Iceman can’t function without him? Is that as bad as it sounds? Cause it sounds pretty damn stupid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Romeo brought Mr Omega level threat mutant who can’t die with the power of empathy and Iceman can’t function without him? Is that as bad as it sounds? Cause it sounds pretty damn stupid to me.
    It’s pretty stupid. The stakes you felt from Bobby’s death at the gala are gone. They also nerfed the threat of Orchis to something as threatening as Dr Burn’s releasing the hounds. 3/10 from me, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    This was actually a great debut issue for Steve Orlando's Astonishing Iceman.

My attempt at a summary:

1) We begin so Social Media... Iceman the "mutant supremacist" has been seen around town but was killed "resisting arrest during the Mutant Massacre".

2) Followed by the preview pages... Orchis is trying to lure Iceman and remaining mutants into the public to capture/kill but attacking former user of Xperiance a mutant drug. Iceman saves the day and kisses his man goodbye.

3) Cut to the The Bloom, an Orchis station. They are pissed Drake is going to be a problem.

4) Antarctica - Iceman returns to his new home. Iceman is exhausted and creates "Clyde" an Ice golem that; whom he tells "After all I've done... modesty feels like hiding". Iceman reveals that post the HFG - Romeo never stopped believing he was still alive and using his empathy power (if someone more familiar can elaborate it would be appreciated) would be able to piece Iceman back together. The problem is Iceman himself can't seem to hold himself together too long and needs to be near Romeo and his Artic Palace.

5) Data Page - Memo from Woodrow Pequad to a "friend and fellow Judas" - stating the significance of the problem Iceman poses but "rest assured it won't last"

6) We then see Orchis letting loose Helium the unfreezable and his Elements of Doom attacking Long Island, NY... specifically the home Iceman's recently widowed mother.

TBC.

When I finished reading the issue it reminded me of a part 1 ending to the finale of a TV pilot. It left me wanting more. I enjoy the set up and it feels actually tied into current events. (Does Romeo or Iceman make an appearance in XM35 today?) Orlando is works much better focused on one character and the artist has a lot of potential.

I'm really looking forward to this ride. We are about 7-8 years of Iceman being out and proud. I'm so grateful.
    Sounds interesting, will definitely keep an eye out for this on unlimited. I bought grow lights instead of comics today. ^_^
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I understand the complaints to Romeo. I share them but the rest has been solid enough that I will give it the benefit of the doubt. The inclusion of Romeo seems a bit fitting with Ms. Marvel joining. I never understand why multiple writers continually bring up terrible periods in X-History. I don't have a solid enough understanding of Romeos powers to even know if this makes sense. I was really hoping for a Christian Frost relationship; but that character has become forgotten.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I understand the complaints to Romeo. I share them but the rest has been solid enough that I will give it the benefit of the doubt. The inclusion of Romeo seems a bit fitting with Ms. Marvel joining. I never understand why multiple writers continually bring up terrible periods in X-History. I don't have a solid enough understanding of Romeos powers to even know if this makes sense. I was really hoping for a Christian Frost relationship; but that character has become forgotten.
    The Marvel presentation that I posted in the preview thread spoke of Romeo as Bobby's boyfriend and they're apparently "an item". Which I don't quite like because I prefered the poly direction. I like them together and I like that there IS a bit of a reliance to Romeo's powers to help BObby with his own but...

How is the art ?

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darkblue View Post
    It’s pretty stupid. The stakes you felt from Bobby’s death at the gala are gone. They also nerfed the threat of Orchis to something as threatening as Dr Burn’s releasing the hounds. 3/10 from me, personally.
    Yeah. I could see Bobby needing Romeo to help put himself back together initially, but why is he still somehow needed to keep him together? It's like the writers/editorial wanted the big death scene and then Iceman weaker as a lasting consequence and this is the best way they could make it work.

The art is great but the overall story and quality of the writing, some of it is cringe-inducing bad... Not even as good as Sina Grace but probably roughly on par with Luciano Vecchio or even a little below. Going into this I was hopeful for Orlando to deliver something of the caliber we use to get with Iceman, but sadly 3/10 sounds about right.