Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default William Messner-Loebs is in dire need

Our comics community has taken a big hit lately with Peter David's stroke and ongoing medical needs, Len Kaminski's needs and now it seems William Messner Loebs is the latest. I follow Bill on facebook and he shared some unfortunate news of the possibility of eviction. He and his wife moved into a senior living facility some time last year I believe. I remember the video on facebook and they were so happy as they went into their new apartment. However due to some of Bill's disabilities, he has had some issues with which at the very least, the building manager is not happy about. Now due to potentially fabricated allegations, the Messner-Loebs are facing court and eviction proceedings. There has been a gofundme set up for them if you would like to contribute.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 08-04-2023 at 12:35 PM.

Always Rakzo

Oh, no. I don't even understand why he hasn't gotten more gigs, he was easily one of the most influential Flash writers (he basically cemented Wally West's personality), I wish he would have gotten more credit for all the things he did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Our comics community has taken a big hit lately with Peter David's stroke and ongoing medical needs, Len Kaminski's needs and now it seems William Messner Loebs is the latest. I follow Bill on facebook and he shared some unfortunate news of the possibility of eviction. He and his wife moved into a senior living facility some time last year I believe. I remember the video on facebook and they were so happy as they went into their new apartment. However due to some of Bill's disabilities, he has had some issues with which at the very least, the building manager is not happy about. Now due to potentially fabricated allegations, the Messner-Loebs are facing court and eviction proceedings. There has been a gofundme set up for them if you would like to contribute.

I really wish there was a system in place to help the older creators so they don't have to resort to GoFundMe

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    I really wish there was a system in place to help the older creators so they don't have to resort to GoFundMe
    I do as well and am quite surprised there isn't. I know there is the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund as well as Hero Initiative (and this may fall into the HI's umbrella but I am not sure.) Other than that...I agree there should be something in place to help.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Another one, so infuriating. Hopefully he gets help from a tenants' rights non-profit.

BANNED

Poor guy. He's been through a lot over the years.

I think DC has taken notice. Peter David's runs on Young Justice and Aquaman are getting omnibuses. William Messner-Loebs' Flash run is also getting the omnibus treatment next year. IDK what the royalty rate is, but hopefully it will help.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Zone View Post
    I think DC has taken notice. Peter David's runs on Young Justice and Aquaman are getting omnibuses. William Messner-Loebs' Flash run is also getting the omnibus treatment next year. IDK what the royalty rate is, but hopefully it will help.
    Wow, that is some good news if it does end up helping them.

No creator should be homeless. I'll definitely chime in.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Too many of our favorite creators from times past have fallen into difficult times. My Signature block contains the gofundme links for Bill, Peter David and Len Kaminski for those who might be interested.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Astonishing Member

How did he lose his arm?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    How did he lose his arm?
    Cancer when he was a infant
    Last edited by clonegeek; 08-07-2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Infant is a more accurate word

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Zone View Post
    Would get all of those. They're all great works and even better if the writers get money from them.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post

Thank you so much for this information. Bill has brought me so much joy over the years and I grateful that DC helped him with past financial needs. I will contribute and look into PAD and Kaminski's needs as well. Thank you again!