Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Magneto #1 Review/Spoilers

First off, I really enjoyed this issue. It manages to capture the feel of the original New Mutants without feeling dated, which is quite an accomplishment. Even the art feels like an update on Art Adams style. By some of what happens, it has to take place between issues 44 and 46 of the original series, but there's no way to tell if it happens before or after 45.

It opens before the preview pages with the team facing of against the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Every member of the team gets a good moment. (Except maybe Rahne, who really wasn't qualified to go against the Scarlet Witch.) Magik gets a really corny line, but it sounds like something a 14 year old would say.

Then we get to the preview pages where Magneto isn't too happy with the team's attitude towards their opponents and sets the Sentinels on them.

Later, Magneto has a conversation with Rahne about the past. She wants to understand why he was the way he was, but he doesn't want to talk about the Holocaust, especially with someone so young, I think. This leads into a flashback to X-men #1 from Magneto's point of view. It may be a bit of a retcon, not in events, but in Magneto's thinking. I think it works, though, and helps reconcile who he was in those appearances with who he became once Claremont got a hold of him -- and with Krakoa, for that matter.

Screenshot_20230803_101604_Comics.jpg

The next day, he goes out shopping for the holiday party he promised his students. He's actually happy, for once. That doesn't last, though. When he gets home, he finds the New Mutants unconscious sending him into a bit of a panic. Then the new girl attacks.

Screenshot_20230803_101555_Comics.jpg

Irae is someone from his past, but he doesn't remember her, probably because she was just a kid. (She's in her late teens, now.) I think some fans thought that Magneto got his helmet from her, but she's actually just copycatting his original look. It seems her power feeds off others, so when Magneto fights back she gets more powerful. She knocks him cold and flies off with him.

The team wakes up, to find Magneto missing. Warlock has the video footage to show what happens. I thought there was some nice character work with Dani here. Her immediate reaction is to lash out with sarcasm, but she apologizes as soon as she's called out.

We end with Magneto waking up in some sort of machine. Irae introduces herself as the Queen of Wrath. And behind her are her Sisterhood of Evil. Seems she wants Mags to go back to his old ways.

Screenshot_20230803_101618_Comics.jpg

Overall, a really good issue. Some great insights into who Magneto was at this point in time. I don't even mind him going by the name Max, anymore. After this issue, it really seems like a sign of him accepting his past.

I liked it. A bit slow at times but that isn't unusual for JMD.

The New Mutants felt like they used to do and Rahne was for the first time in ages, for me that is to say, fun and endearing to read.

I liked the deep dive into Magneto and in a way I wished that this era wasn't over because the promise of what could happen for his character in terms of evolution and progress is still very enticing.

Spectacular Member

Until she said her name, I thought for sure Irae was Haven (who from memory was also a JM DeMatteis creation)

Didn't really love this to be honest, though the New Mutants throwback was nice, and I liked seeing Rahne back in her more innocent days again

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    The New Mutants felt like they used to do and Rahne was for the first time in ages, for me that is to say, fun and endearing to read.
    I really enjoyed the New Mutants in this issue. The vibe feels very accurate. Dani and Rahne and Roberto (he was a mouthy little jerk back then, wasn't he?) all feel on point.

But, for a book named Magneto, I was not thrilled with the portrayal of Magneto himself. The whole 'Oh I was just pretending to attack that base to make the X-Men look like heroes! I totally let them win to make them look good!' notion is daft, IMO.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Nice summary, I will wait to buy this. But who are in the Sisterhood?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Really liked it. Wonder if this "sisterhood" is all new characters or just obscure ones from X-Men's past.

Nice to see Rahne again from before almost every thing that was done with her kinda sucked. How was she talking in full wolf form though?

The new antagonist is a little more interesting than I thought she'd be.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Loved this throwback issue.. the 80’s and 90’s X-men are my favorites… Seeing Rahne especially was great. After Genosha, she pretty much became a whole different character (though I did like her in PAD’s X-Factor as she was still coping with her changes).

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    Really liked it. Wonder if this "sisterhood" is all new characters or just obscure ones from X-Men's past.

Nice to see Rahne again from before almost every thing that was done with her kinda sucked. How was she talking in full wolf form though?

The new antagonist is a little more interesting than I thought she'd be.
    Think they are all new characters

I really loved this issue, 8/10. I especially liked Irae, I want to see more about her story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I really enjoyed the New Mutants in this issue. The vibe feels very accurate. Dani and Rahne and Roberto (he was a mouthy little jerk back then, wasn't he?) all feel on point.

But, for a book named Magneto, I was not thrilled with the portrayal of Magneto himself. The whole 'Oh I was just pretending to attack that base to make the X-Men look like heroes! I totally let them win to make them look good!' notion is daft, IMO.
    Completley agree - I really enjoyed seeing the New Mutants interact with Magneto and thought the characters all sounded like their 80's selves.

But I was pretty meh on the Magneto seeing ghosts/ I was only fake attacking that country plotline. I love the 'Headmaster Magneto' era though so if the rest of the mini is anything like this I'll still call it a big success.

Boom! This right here. There are retcons, then there are cons. I felt conned by this portrayal.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I don't think he was pretending to attack. There's no indication he wasn't really trying to hurt people. He might have gone easier on the X-Men, but I don't think he cared at all about the ordinary humans. And seriously, he should have been able to wipe the floor with the O5 at that point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Boom! This right here. There are retcons, then there are cons. I felt conned by this portrayal.
    It is not a retcon its Magneto trying to justify his past actions to himself, people do that all the time that why our are memories so unreliable.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Incredible Member

Actually it's not. Eric said it the best Himself. They were all somewhat naive. And explaining things (His,Xaiver's and the X-mens actions) that way to a far more cynical generation (New Mutants) who would tend to view it that way make sense.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 08-03-2023 at 09:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue. It's amazing how DeMatteis has such a good handle on Magneto and the New Mutants both despite never having written them before, he's a true master of the form.