Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Paul seems like he is bored.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Spectacular Member

It’s one preview page, but that future Jackpot series looks grim. I’m sure MJ will rise out of the depression throughout the series, but yeesh… not real appealing on the surface.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    And he has a ponytail now

Mighty Member

Mj and Paul at a shrink. Peter telling Ms Marvel about her final moment

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    And he has a ponytail now
    I think Marvel cares so little about this character that his hair length is set at "whatever we feel like".
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Astonishing Member

I think Marvel cares so little about this character that his hair length is set at "whatever we feel like".
    His bear changed between panels in ASM 26

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by logo449 View Post
    It’s one preview page, but that future Jackpot series looks grim. I’m sure MJ will rise out of the depression throughout the series, but yeesh… not real appealing on the surface.
    Mj dealing with the kind of sadness Peter normally suffers

Astonishing Member

I feel like this is a preview of 2… maybe 3 different comics. It doesn’t help that there seems to be 3 different art styles.

Pages 1-3 with Tombstone, White Rabbit, and Peter attending the wedding of Tombstone’s daughter to Randy… are fun! Zeb Wells, if you’re reading this (which you’re probably not), THIS is what readers want more of from your run. You don’t have to fix OMD (although that would certainly be nice), but just give us fun stories of Peter tangling with Tombstone and the twisted family dynamics that affect their relationship. It doesn’t hurt that JRJr’s art is pretty good in those pages.

Pages 4-5 of the preview, on the other hand, are awful. The kind of stuff that is a chore to even read. The art is stiff and boring, and page 4 in particular is way too wordy, but those technical issues are the least of it. Stop trying to pretend Ms.Marvel, a character who was inserted into the book just to be cynically killed off so she could be resurrected as a mutant in time for her MCU film, had any real impact on Peter or the books. It’s only two months since she was fridged, and her death is literally being undone as I type this. Or maybe already undone. At first I thought page 4 was a dream sequence but now I think they just spoiled that she’s already back alive. What a mess.

As for page 5, no one cares about Paul. No one. We don’t need to check up on how creepy ponytailed Paul is doing. I was going to say he’s the worst supporting character since Vin Gonzales, but Paul is muuuuuuch worse. There is literally no character in comics I want to check in on less than time dilating weirdo Paul. Please have Norman snap and drop him off the Brooklyn Bridge already.

Anyway… those are my thoughts.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 08-03-2023 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    His bear changed between panels in ASM 26
    Having reread the page, they do mention leaving the apartment that they no longer live in. So this must be right after ASM #26, when Paul's beard changed and they presumably lost those extra four years.

Lmao, the round head joke from Hammerhead? made me grin

The page with Kamala reads and looks great. Is it a lil too little, too late? Maybe. Still, better than nothing.

Oooh, the MJ stuff looks GREAT and reads well? Shiver me timbers. The name gag is a real making lemonade out of lemons moment

im liking what im seeing

I kinda laugh at how much of these pages are just hanging a lampshade on the inconsistencies.

“Why didn’t I heal? I didn’t know I could still shapeshift!”

“Romy. Stephanie. She never did figure out which name she liked best.”

It’s surreal.

Astonishing Member

He can’t possibly be as bored as we all are of him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I kinda laugh at how much of these pages are just hanging a lampshade on the inconsistencies.

“Why didn’t I heal? I didn’t know I could still shapeshift!”

Romy. Stephanie. She never did figure out which name she liked best.

It’s surreal.
    Dear lord, I must have missed that. That cannot be actual, real dialogue. That reads like a parody panel a fan came up with.

White Rabbit staying on brand.

I get why the crime bosses would show up for the wedding of Tombstone's daughter but I'm not sure Janice would actually want them there. Didn't they try to kill her in King's Ransom? Seems like it's just asking for something terrible to happen at the wedding.

Is this the first time Peter has interacted with Hammerhead out-of-suit? Hammerhead does like his eye candy.

That Kamala sequence just reminding me how forced everything surrounding her involvement with ASM was. I guess now she'll never be mentioned or relevant again because her only function in the series was to show up, die, and get resurrected to join another franchise. Peter probably shouldn't mention what happened to her mask or family bangle though.

It's realistic for MJ to go into grief counseling, it's just that it's all about fake kids nobody really cared about so it's really hard to care about MJ being depressed or despondent about them, especially with Paul right there. Unless this is starting to build up MJ away from all the BS of the past few arcs, but it just doesn't feel like it.