Thread: Superman red

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Superman red

Why is it that there is less importance given to the red guy than the blue?I mean,superman blue was protagonist of his series for a while.Now jon has his powers.So why does superman red recieve short end of the stick?It is billed as superman red is the more action oriented character. It is also retconned that New52 superman was superman red and in reborn jon kinda absorbs superman blue abilities to fix clark.Also would like to add that jon has suddenly in the new all about giving speeches(which i view as paternalism..besides the point).So is this concious choice?for me,if it is.. it's excellent piece of world building and power system explanation.do you guys think it is?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-04-2023 at 12:00 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Let me try to re-iterate your point, make sure I kind of see what you're getting at.

Do you mean something like, "Jon is the new Superman Blue, and like the Superman Blue of the 90s, he's the more restrained character, thus allowing Kal, now more associated with Superman Red, to be a more decisive, dynamic character," something like that?

I like that idea a fair amount, but I definitely don't think it's on purpose, and I doubt if we'll ever go very long without Kal getting treated as a sort of intrinsically paternalistic character, as has unfortunately often been the case, off-and-on over the years. Still, if Jon did sort of absorb those traits from Clark, I think that would be okay with me.

But, I might have totally misunderstood you! Sorry if I did!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Let me try to re-iterate your point, make sure I kind of see what you're getting at.

Do you mean something like, "Jon is the new Superman Blue, and like the Superman Blue of the 90s, he's the more restrained character, thus allowing Kal, now more associated with Superman Red, to be a more decisive, dynamic character," something like that?

I like that idea a fair amount, but I definitely don't think it's on purpose, and I doubt if we'll ever go very long without Kal getting treated as a sort of intrinsically paternalistic character, as has unfortunately often been the case, off-and-on over the years. Still, if Jon did sort of absorb those traits from Clark, I think that would be okay with me.

But, I might have totally misunderstood you! Sorry if I did!
    I don't know if wether clark has become more proactive.He did go to warworld and kinda made a team like authority.That's all i know.But,yeah! Jon being more superman blue is what i am getting at.I am wondering where the hell is red if jon is . I also remember superman red and blue being something Morrison wanted to revisit with authority book.

But these things felt jesus like savior-y than Spartacus lite gladiator(not for me). As Morrison is the only guy who can make appreciate that kinda characterisation.so i dropped superman in general.I kinda read williamson's book here and there because it was trying to give that pulp flair(keyword try).But,when i realised i was reading it for lex rather than the protagonist.I kinda decided there isn't anything superman that i would find great.

I been keeping tabs on jon cause kid jon adventure flash backs and i generally love the kid.The teen version is blah! They could have done a great job with it.But,they haven't.The funny thing is taylor calls out superman for. Being a savior figure and yet proceeds to make jon into one.He feels like his dad.

as i said,in the op.Red seems never get to be center stage like blue does .So i was wondering why.Then these things from the continuity kind started getting connected.So i started wondering if jon was under blue's influence
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-04-2023 at 02:14 AM.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Probably because Superman Red would've stuck out a lot when coloring.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 08-05-2023 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Probably because Superman Red would've stuck out a lot when coloring.
    Coloring hasn't been a problem since ages

Where exactly was it established that there is any connection to what Manhattan did to Superman after Flashpoint and Superman Red/Superman Blue? Other than the fact that one cover in the "Superman Reborn" arc used blue to highlight the Rebirth Superman and red to highlight the New 52 Superman, there is no specific reference to this storyline or its events.

We know that Manhattan wanted to alter Superman's life as an experiment, beginning with the heroic influence of the JSA. If we assume Convergence/Lois and Clark is somewhat in continuity, Brainiac "catalogued" the pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois along with their timeline, requiring Manhattan to make a copy for his own needs.

Even if Convergence isn't in continuity, there's still no indication that Superman is somehow easy to separate into two beings since he was once separated in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Where exactly was it established that there is any connection to what Manhattan did to Superman after Flashpoint and Superman Red/Superman Blue? Other than the fact that one cover in the "Superman Reborn" arc used blue to highlight the Rebirth Superman and red to highlight the New 52 Superman, there is no specific reference to this storyline or its events.

We know that Manhattan wanted to alter Superman's life as an experiment, beginning with the heroic influence of the JSA. If we assume Convergence/Lois and Clark is somewhat in continuity, Brainiac "catalogued" the pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois along with their timeline, requiring Manhattan to make a copy for his own needs.

Even if Convergence isn't in continuity, there's still no indication that Superman is somehow easy to separate into two beings since he was once separated in the past.
    There was blue energy thing and red energy thing in reborn event, It wasn't explicitly said but when supes becomes new52 guy he becomes red.Then jon used blue in his hands to zap em or something.I am suggesting that superman wasn't "fixed" by reborn.Either that or the blue energy powers entered jon.I mean,we still don't know why jon has them.

Also,tshirt and jeans guy is travelling the multiverse from the sideways issue.I don't think it would mean anything.But,if superman was "fixed" then how can that guy exist?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-06-2023 at 07:29 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Superman Red/Blue were always just a split Superman, right? Like, other than the colours there were no real differences?

I don't think they had different personalities or powers or anything, so they're likely only using Blue for Jon as that is most associated with that power/costume change era.

Also, didn't Lana Lang get the New 52 Superman powers to become "Red" Superwoman?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Superman Red/Blue were always just a split Superman, right? Like, other than the colours there were no real differences?

I don't think they had different personalities or powers or anything, so they're likely only using Blue for Jon as that is most associated with that power/costume change era.

Also, didn't Lana Lang get the New 52 Superman powers to become "Red" Superwoman?
    Yeah!she did.But she lost her red abilities i believe.it is billed that superman red is more reckless action oriented dude.Blue is the passuve personality I don't know whether i should call the writing consistent.As said morrison wanted further that storyline with authority.But,changed plans.Red and blue always grow polar opposites and never want to merge back together in the mythos

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There was blue energy thing and red energy thing in reborn event, It wasn't explicitly said but when supes becomes new52 guy he becomes red.Then jon used blue in his hands to zap em or something.I am suggesting that superman wasn't "fixed" by reborn.Either that or the blue energy powers entered jon.I mean,we still don't know why jon has them.

Also,tshirt and jeans guy is travelling the multiverse from the sideways issue.I don't think it would mean anything.But,if superman was "fixed" then how can that guy exist?
    The energy colors were just a nod to the Superman Red/Blue storyline; Jurgens was involved in writing Reborn, after all. As for Jon having the powers now, the answer to that is that the current writers are creatively bankrupt.

As for the New 52 Superman's post-Rebirth existence, Doomsday Clock established that he would still exist on Earth-52. That very likely explains how he appeared in Sideways. That universe, presumably, didn't have a Convergence event or even a Flashpoint event, so New 52 Superman is the one and only Superman there.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

Superman Blue was Clark's calm and reasonable side, whereas Red was his impulsive and angry side. Lana did indeed get the powers during Rebirth but, like the use of red and blue for the energy of the two Supermen during Reborn, I think this was just a nod to the original storyline. Lana's powers were energy based while Lois' were more like Superman's, but the Blue/Red storyline is never specifically referenced beyond that.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Coloring hasn't been a problem since ages
    Color theory is still a thing. Imagine constantly trying to draw a red-energy version of Superman. Again, it would stick out way more than blue. Plus, blue is lighter and easier on the eyes. Also, a quick search, electricity is blue.