Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, this was awesome! Fun little adventure, cool guest appearances and great character moments.

If you are a fan of Garth like me, you'll enjoy this issue a lot.
    Cool! Garth is my favorite of the original Teen Titans. I bought my copy on Comixology this morning but I won't be able to read it until this evening. I did see a panel somewhere that showed 2 characters that have me excited.

Yeah.
    spoilers:
    Lilith and Gnaark.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

For sure Mark Waid knows how to write these boys, really enjoyed.

What I can't totally understand is this entire World's Finest concept. As well for the main title i'm a little confused on how those events fit in the main continuity.
    Watching these group of teens handling smart phones and visit social networks or Dick wearing long pants means that these are not flashback stories, DC is rewritng Teen Titans past in a modern way? If so, how could old stories count at the same time?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post

What I can't totally understand is this entire World's Finest concept. As well for the main title i'm a little confused on how those events fit in the main continuity.
    Watching these group of teens handling smart phones and visit social networks or Dick wearing long pants means that these are not flashback stories, DC is rewritng Teen Titans past in a modern way? If so, how could old stories count at the same time?
    There have been several reboots since the original run, what's one more(especially when its well written)?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

I didn't understand your comment, it's the current past of the DC heroes, it's on the main continuity, so it has modern technology, I mean, if it's currently 2023, then at the time of the teen titans, it should be around 2011? 2010? Smart phones and the social networks already existed!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There have been several reboots since the original run, what's one more(especially when its well written)?
    I'm not complaining (maybe for Dick's long pants ), I just wolud like to understand which is the concept behind all this.

I'm not complaining (maybe for Dick's long pants ), I just wolud like to understand which is the concept behind all this.
    It seems pretty straightforward to me, these are the early adventures of the Teen Titans in the current iteration of continuity of the DCU.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    I didn't understand your comment, it's the current past of the DC heroes, it's on the main continuity, so it has modern technology, I mean, if it's currently 2023, then at the time of the teen titans, it should be around 2011? 2010? Smart phones and the social networks already existed!
    And why smart phones and social networks did not exists in stories like Juda's contract that obviously happend later? Is exactly what I intended!
    If this is the current past of DC heroes the old past doesn't exists anymore, DC is rewrting it? ...or not?

Well maybe this is just a mid summer overthinking, it's only comic books! As well i would like to know how DC intends to handle this entire World's Finest concept.

And why smart phones and social networks did not exists in stories like Juda's contract that obviously happend later? Is exactly what I intended!
    If this is the current past of DC heroes the old past doesn't exists anymore, DC is rewrting it or not?

Well maybe this is just a mid summer overthinking, it's only comic books! As well i would like to know how DC intends to handle this entire World's Finest concept.
    Judas Contract was already over written, that's not new.

This was covered in the early days of the nu-52; unless otherwise stated big events that happened in the past happened in the new continuity as well but perhaps not exactly as written before. So Doomsday still killed Superman for instance but nobody used pagers and Clark didn't have a pony tale. Same here, we've seen Geo-Force and Terra since the reboot so the broad-strokes of the story happened but some of the minor details would necessarily be different due to the change in time for instance.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-08-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Judas Contract was already over written, that's not new.

This was covered in the early days of the nu-52; unless otherwise stated big events that happened in the past happened in the new continuity as well but perhaps not exactly as written before. So Doomsday still killed Superman for instance but nobody had pagers and Clark didn't have a pony tale. Same here, we've seen Geo-Force and Terra since the reboot so the broad-strokes of the story happened but some of the minor details would necessarily be different due to the change in time for instance.
    Impossible, Wally and Donna did not exist with the nu-52! I'm joking.
    Yes, probably this is the key to understanding.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 08-08-2023 at 11:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Ya know, I don't have anything against Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy. I will say they were written and looked better in the Perez era (though I Kori's puffy hair may be best left to the 80s), but they weren't really essential in making the Teen Titans a strong property. All of the ingredients were there from day one, but the Titans were just written in such a juvenile manner -- rarely had any good opponents. And yes, I loved those supernatural stories in the early 70s, but those weren't even super-hero stories for the most part -- as their powers were rarely called into play -- or were just ineffectual. So I'm all for that era's line up getting a second chance. It's a bit like X-Men the Hidden Years -- only with better stories.

If this is the current past of DC heroes the old past doesn't exists anymore, DC is rewrting it? ...or not?

Flashback stories being looked at with current lens. The Titans used to recieve letters from fans, now they get the same message trough social media.

Obviously smartphones didn't exist in the 60's, but if they place this stories in that time frame Dick and Co would be 80 years old now. If Judas Contract would be retold today, they would do the same thing.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Ya know, I don't have anything against Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy. I will say they were written and looked better in the Perez era (though I Kori's puffy hair may be best left to the 80s), but they weren't really essential in making the Teen Titans a strong property. All of the ingredients were there from day one, but the Titans were just written in such a juvenile manner -- rarely had any good opponents. And yes, I loved those supernatural stories in the early 70s, but those weren't even super-hero stories for the most part -- as their powers were rarely called into play -- or were just ineffectual. So I'm all for that era's line up getting a second chance. It's a bit like X-Men the Hidden Years -- only with better stories.
    Well, I'm gonna say that they did have a lot to do with the success of the book, imo. Yes, or course George and Marv could have taken the same route with the originals, but i don't think the result would have been the same.

The new blood changed the scope of stories being told, with deeply personal stakes. Cosmic/ space stories because of Kori. Mystical/ horror because of Raven, sci fi/ man or machine for Vic.

Yes, there could have been space adventures and horror stories without them, but would we have cared as much? The personal connection to a team mate that we grow to know and love, that makes a huge difference.

Another great issue. I am loving the updating of the original Teen Titans with a modern flavor. Especially loved seeing spoilers:
    Lilith and Gnarrk not only show up be that they actually helped and were a significant part of the story
    end of spoilers.

Incredible Member

What I can't totally understand is this entire World's Finest concept. As well for the main title i'm a little confused on
    how those events fit in the main continuity.

I'd say just ignore it and enjoy the book for what it is. Always found the concept of continuity to be more a hinderance than anything else.

Just treat each book (and volume) in isolation.