Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

But again, the whole thing gets undermined when the next two months are all about splitting the Batfamily again. DC really needs better editors.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    But again, the whole thing gets undermined when the next two months are all about splitting the Batfamily again. DC really needs better editors.
    Yeah, pretty much that. Pick a lane, is family good or do they need to be at odds?

Personally I think they should stop letting Williamson hold the reins and let Waid dictate the tone, his Worlds Finest, Teen Titans and Shazam books have all been near perfect.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

I doubt Waid is interested. Modern status-quo is just not his cup of tea, he prefers classic, more basic take on the universe, especially in case with Superman. He's definitely would be more interested in making World's Finest timeline into his own imprint, so he can do whatever he wants.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I doubt Waid is interested. Modern status-quo is just not his cup of tea, he prefers classic, more basic take on the universe, especially in case with Superman. He's definitely would be more interested in making World's Finest timeline into his own imprint, so he can do whatever he wants.
    That's what I mean by taking the reins let him do what ever he wants line wide and let him pick people that compliment that vision.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

Okay a lot to unpack.

I think Jason and Tim gave up a bit too quickly at the start but pacing probably explains that. As for the insecurities both of them have in terms of Tim's fear of not saving everyone and Jason feeling like he is a failure/alone as people have said these are story beats we have seen before so it seems repetitive. The pep talk was kind of corny and saying too much and it seems a bit jarring as last issue the two were more vitriol and now the the shift to super close is a bit rushed. I did like how it was highlighed that Jason was failed by the adults in his life instead of blaming him so that was a plus and the fact the Batfamily won't give up on him. But I thought we already were done with the Jason pushing people away thing as UL went against that so again repetitive. I would have preferred a more vitriolic dynamic between the two in their speeches that wouldn't say too much. Jason's dialogue was more up there but again he said too much. Batman and Robin Eternal for me really grasps how to write both of them as you have the two endlessly snarking to each other but when push comes to shove they have each other's back but don't need to say it in a long speech

Tim's nightmare of his 'dad' and seeing the people close to him die was visually interesting (no YJ but since this tie in seems more Batfamily) and I did like the highlight of Dick, Barbara and Stephanie which shows the admiration Tim has to them. As for the message of Tim choosing to not dwell on the past and on the future of who he can save it was nice but again is a repeat but to be fair I don't really recall there being a story of Tim ever accepting his dad's death fully and that he couldn't save him but maybe I missed it. The whole I am light and hope speech....corny I have to admit and Tim's I am Robin thing which to me is frustrating as him being Robin still is what is holding him back and why he is in a rut currently so not a fan of them trying to still push it for him.

As for Jason not a fan of the whole not asking for help thing both here and at the end as again he already overcame it as we recently saw in Cheers (and before) so them acting like it's something he still has to work on is eh. I did like him not fighting back and frustrating the nightmare but it would have worked better if they focused more on his mystic side/sense of tranquility he got from the people who gave him the All Blades (could have used them but they seemed to have dropped everything from there) to better highlight he's not just the muscle.

Them teaming up to beat the Nightmares was a nice fight but like them giving up too easily it felt kind of rushed but again pacing is probably the culprit.

Overall not a bad story just feels repetitive and rushed and the Tim and Jason interactions feel very much on the fluff side.

5/10. Maybe I was too generous on issue 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    So this was just an excuse to make Tim and Jason buddies again, and I'm salty about it because that was already a thing in RHATO so why retread the exact same plot beats? And is really weird considering how the last time Jason and Tim interacted, Jason broke Tim's nose with a crowbar.
    Sometimes it's hard to keep the Batfamily relationships straight because writers just write them reset or whatever the story wants it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, pretty much that. Pick a lane, is family good or do they need to be at odds?

Personally I think they should stop letting Williamson hold the reins and let Waid dictate the tone, his Worlds Finest, Teen Titans and Shazam books have all been near perfect.
    Williamson is writing a current event but I don't think he has anything to do with the tone of the line right now, at least with the Batfamily unless the new DC Mega Arc involves Batman being broken down again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Batman and Robin Eternal for me really grasps how to write both of them as you have the two endlessly snarking to each other but when push comes to shove they have each other's back but don't need to say it in a long speech
    I as a Jason Fan take this here over B&RE, that book had Jason mostly as comic relief, and the Knightmare thing was definitely better than the issue were Jason got infected by this Order of Dumas Thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sometimes it's hard to keep the Batfamily relationships straight because writers just write them reset or whatever the story wants it to be.
    There is just no one who coordinates stuff like that.
    And doing that would be the job of the Editors, and not of Writers who just come in too write a 2 issue tie in to an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    There is just no one who coordinates stuff like that.
    And doing that would be the job of the Editors, and not of Writers who just come in too write a 2 issue tie in to an event.
    Or just write generic Batfamily stuff where they all show up and just do whatever the story needs them to do with no real characterization being a factor in it.