Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well they didn't get too far with this cover before the idea was scrapped. Too bad, I like it more than what they went with, since you have the whole team taking on Juggie.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder about the rule change in the Comics Code, because both this "vampire" and Marvel's Morbius, "the Living Vampire" were based in science fiction rather than the supernatural and horror. So maybe both publishers were stepping lightly into the realm of the undead, without going too far down that road--just to see what would happen.

The "vampire" Dragorin is actually an alien on a micro-planet created by a mad scientist. Dragorin and his buddies got this way by watching too many of Count Floyd's "Monster Chiller Horror Theatre"--well, I'm inventing the part about Count Floyd, but the rest is true.
    You might be right about both companies' first foray into the horror field in 1971, Jim. Once DC and Marvel got through it unscathed, it was only a matter of time before the supernatural elements were revealed.

PS SCTV ruled!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I couldn’t find a better copy, but it’s an unused cover by George Perez for Green Lantern 145, which I of course like better than the one they went with

Last edited by Riv86672; 08-07-2023 at 02:41 PM.

This unused Spidey cover’s pretty cool, I think!

Unused Kirby cover for an issue of Thor; they went w. John Romita!

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-07-2023 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Invincible Member

Michael Golden's original cover for Avengers Annual #10

Al Milgrom and Irving Wantanabe's cover that was used

Hopefully this counts, but my next choice would be...

Daredevil #167

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-07-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    ^^^Rogue’s butt is way too close to Wolvie’s face in that first cover!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Michael Golden's original cover for Avengers Annual #10

Al Milgrom and Irving Wantanabe's cover that was used

^^^That unused cover is really good! I’d love to see a fully rendered version!

Invincible Member

Regarding the Golden cover there's a few "finished" versions out there that look like they were done by fans. Although he might have done this one himself. Anyway, here's one...

I found this quote by Jim Shooter as to why the cover was rejected....

This cover may have been a last-minute replacement for one by Michael Golden. The Golden cover showed Rogue holding a defeated Thor and Iron Man above her head. The other Avengers are lying among debris on the ground. An image of Ms. Marvel partially covers the series title. Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter's signature appears in a production box below the picture area on the original. In a November 23, 2011 comment on his website, Shooter wrote, "... at a glance, I'd guess that Golden's cover wasn't used because he didn't allow room for the contest banner at the top, which we were obligated to run. The cover that did run looks like it was cobbled together at the last minute. The Golden cover appears to have my signature on it, meaning I approved it. Maybe someone upstairs noticed that the contest banner was missing. But, I don't know for sure."
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-09-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Regarding the Golden cover there's a few "finished" versions out there that look like they were done by fans. Although he might have done this one himself. Anyway, here's one...

I found this quote by Jim Shooter as to why the cover was rejected....

This cover may have been a last-minute replacement for one by Michael Golden. The Golden cover showed Rogue holding a defeated Thor and Iron Man above her head. The other Avengers are lying among debris on the ground. An image of Ms. Marvel partially covers the series title. Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter's signature appears in a production box below the picture area on the original. In a November 23, 2011 comment on his website, Shooter wrote, "... at a glance, I'd guess that Golden's cover wasn't used because he didn't allow room for the contest banner at the top, which we were obligated to run. The cover that did run looks like it was cobbled together at the last minute. The Golden cover appears to have my signature on it, meaning I approved it. Maybe someone upstairs noticed that the contest banner was missing. But, I don't know for sure."
    ^^^First of all THANK YOU, that cover looks great in color!

Second, the banner needing to be included makes so much sense, but I would never have pegged that as the reason. A detective I am not!

The Marvel Database states that this was an unpublished cover for DD #162
    But for some reason, the pin-up asseverates that this was supposed to be for DD #164

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-11-2023 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The Marvel Database states that this was an unpublished cover for DD #162
    But for some reason, the pin-up asseverates that this was supposed to be for DD #164

^^^looking at the covers two issues, I think someone misspoke when they said #164.
    And that pinup’s a great piece. I would have gone w. it over the Ditko version. Blasphemy i know.

Invincible Member

Unused cover for Sword of the Atom. They did two mini's back to back so I'm not sure which one this one was for. But it's 1984 so it might have been for the second one.

Unused cover for Sword of the Atom. They did two mini's back to back so I'm not sure which one this one was for. But it's 1984 so it might have been for the second one.

^^^Damn that is GREAT Gil Kane right there.