Default Life Magazine Superman special

To any fellow Boomers out there who still read floppy magazines, anyone read the Life Magazine Superman special? Didn't care for the $15 retail price so didn't check it out myself.

20230806_142219.jpg

Ack, apologies for the sideways photo...

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've flipped through it and it seemed pretty substantial, just wasn't sure of there was anything besides trivia snippets for stuff I already know
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Nope, didn't read it. Would've been interested if they didn't use only Reeves on the cover, but I get, he's Christopher Reeves. It's like Tom Baker and David Tennant for Doctor Who.

Retired

It is 85 years since ACTION COMICS 1, but it's 45 years since SUPERMAN (1978), the movie. Not that 85 or 45 are exactly great anniversary numbers--but celebrating the anniversary of the Christopher Reeve movie is kind of important and more likely to sell magazines. What photo could they use from 1938--Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster huddled over a drawing board? Might get me to buy the mag, but I'm not the target demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Nope, didn't read it. Would've been interested if they didn't use only Reeves on the cover, but I get, he's Christopher Reeves. It's like Tom Baker and David Tennant for Doctor Who.
    Christopher Reeve.

George Reeves.

Speaking of which, George should have also been on the cover, though if they added him, that might have led to other versions, including the Goyer and Snyder's NotAtAllSuperman.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Christopher Reeve.

George Reeves.

Speaking of which, George should have also been on the cover, though if they added him, that might have led to other versions, including the Goyer and Snyder's NotAtAllSuperman.
    Thanks for the correction, but I don't think I'll be getting it right anytime soon.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Thanks for the correction, but I don't think I'll be getting it right anytime soon.
    I've posted this before, but my easy to remember way to spell the names is knowing that both Supermen each had an S but only one S for each. George Reeves has the S at the end of his last name. Christopher Reeve keeps his S in the middle of his first name.

Now if I could only teach people how to remember the right way to spell Siegel. You'd think that would be easy since he's from the House of El, but many get it wrong.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I would pick up the Chris Reeve cover, but I still have my Time Magazine where Superman turned 50! Has anyone heard interviews with the actor who played Non, Jack O’Halloran, from the Phantom Zone? He had ties to real life crime families and he described Chris Reeve as too much of an artiste and he let him know Superman or not, don’t push it! Also, DC just released an 85 year celebration collection and it’s the first I have seen that reprints the first appearance of Faora Uhl from the 70’s. It also has the Starlin issue from DC Comics Presents where Green Lantern and Superman teamed up. (Man they need to Omnibus DC Comics Presents)

Faora Ul,,,
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 08-10-2023 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Retired

I also still have that TIME magazine. I also have magazines from around the time that SUPERMAN came out in 1978, with Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel on the covers (US and NEWSWEEK). Which is what made me think twice about getting the LIFE magazine--seems surplus to my needs.