Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Council fucked this up with Sins of Sinister

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Because:
    a) Cyclops only strategized for fun scenarios, like defeating Kaijus, wrestling polar bears, killing Dinossaurs in the Savage Land, winning in pool games, etc.

b) The QC, X-Force and other Captains never read Cyclops emails.

c) The writers didn't give ****.

Personally, while I do think Scott tend to have a lot more fun creating tactics against kaijus and dinosaurs, I think he did had plans against Orchis but the QC ignored his emails.
    That's probably it. There will probably be a scene later where Emma is looking at her emails, and realizes post-breakup, all her emails from Scott went into the Spam folder, including one with the subject "Attn - Orchis defense protocols".

What should have happened at the Gala, is the new X-men team is announced, they are all given a textbook titled "Scott Summers' Guide to the X-men", Jubilee thumbs through and reaches a section about Nimrod, and then Nimrod crashes in.

616 Humans and their inability to accept mutants peacefully made Krakoa necessary, and their continuing unreasoning bigotry caused the creation of ORCHIS to destroy Krakoa, which had after all saved the Earth, cured diseases of mankind, and also reigned in hundreds of former villains.

I hate that this is my third mutant genocide rodeo (3.5th if you count the IvX era bs) despite getting into the comics 'only' in the 2000s

Astonishing Member

As far as Orchis is concerned,the summary of the answer is in Xmen#9 .Magneto and Exodus wanted Orchis wiped out (Shaw was probably joining their vote to save face) the rest were just being negligent.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    616 Humans and their inability to accept mutants peacefully made Krakoa necessary, and their continuing unreasoning bigotry caused the creation of ORCHIS to destroy Krakoa, which had after all saved the Earth, cured diseases of mankind, and also reigned in hundreds of former villains.
    That's a very valid point there. Sure, we can argue all day and night about what countermeasures or preventative/preemptive strategies and tactics Krakoa's leadership, such as it was, could, would, or should have had ready in the event of a massive attack like that, but the ultimate blame rests squarely on unceasing human hostility towards mutants, despite years of heroism from the X-Men, and Krakoa still extending olive branches (even with some strings attached, realpolitik being what it is) to the rest of humanity in spite of having plenty of reason to just cut themselves off completely or go all in on subjugating and/or exterminating them.

Orchis has succeeded to the degree that it has, not merely because of Krakoa's leadership's negligence and (ironic) lack of foresight, but also because too many humans in-universe are still ready to believe the absolute worst of mutants so they can justify their fear and hatred to themselves, or are still willing to stand by and do nothing as Orchis-aligned and -supported forces stoke fear and hate to pave the way for outright genocide of mutants, regardless of all that the likes of the X-Men have done to bridge the divide between mutants and the rest of humankind. That being said, if there is a bright spot in all this, it's that this time, the likes of the Avengers aren't standing on the sidelines anymore, even if the reasoning is that Orchis's endgame, as discovered by Iron Man recently, is to wipe out all superhumans, not just mutants, with mutants going first simply because baseline humanity already fears and hates them on a visceral level, so it's easier for Orchis to justify wiping them all out to the general public compared to superheroes who've been seen as humanity's protectors for years.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

This is identical to what happened to inhumans and they had to flee to the moon after living in hiding. I wonder if they'll make mutant factions that decide to permanently leave Earth to just live in peace and have other mutant factions stay on Earth like the inhumans did. Since Krakoa is basically mutant Attilan, they could go full further with it in more books, and develop it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Council fucked this up with Sins of Sinister
    The second Sinister was even involved they'd screwed up. ... so basically from day one.

What should have happened at the Gala, is the new X-men team is announced, they are all given a textbook titled "Scott Summers' Guide to the X-men", Jubilee thumbs through and reaches a section about Nimrod, and then Nimrod crashes in.
    Why do I suddenly imagine Scott giving those books out to everyone he knows every Christmas?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Can't argue with that.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The first attack in X-Force came from above, but they’re surprised by an Orchis attack from above.

The gates were tampered with by Xeno and Hordeculture but they’re unprepared when Orchis tampers with the gates.

Someone tampers with the drugs in Marauders to turn people against Mutants, but they’re surprised when Orchis tampers with the drugs.

Blightswill is used in X of Swords but no one is prepared for Orchis to use it.

It’s like a retread of attacks.
    Even their Current Status Quo and Names for things are being reused tbh....

X-Men Outlaws again? Check
    No More Mutants? Check
    Mutants Outlawed and Hunted Again? Check
    MRD/O.N.E./H.A.M.M.E.R./Friends of Humanity/ omg...i could seriously keep on going with Human Hate Groups Given Power to Hunt Mutants in the Mainline Marvel Universe at this point......Orchis is literally a Collection of each of their Leftovers....what a Team..........lmao.
    Magneto Dead or in Hiding? Check
    Xavier sequestered on a "Dead" Island? Check
    Duggan's Unity Team? Check
    Duggan's Deadpool Characters taking center stage? Check
    Duggan actin like Bendis at his worst? Check

They Broke Cyclops Back and then placed him in Custody to be Tortured......it makes me roll my eyes so much it hurts. It is sooooooooo STUPID to even hint that a character is headed to a Wheelchair...did Orchis kill EVERY Mutant Healer as well???

We are basically EXACTLY where we were in the issues Right Before House of X...except Cyclops Back is broken instead of missing an Eye.
    The only New Idea is the Arrako Civil War....and I DOUBT Duggan had much to do with that considering how Political it is. And we have to wait for Ewing to properly expand on that...

Anyone else kind of wishing the Red Wedding never became such a Viral Moment in our Media???

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I hate that this is my third mutant genocide rodeo (3.5th if you count the IvX era bs) despite getting into the comics 'only' in the 2000s

Exactly

I can only imagine what someone reading since the 60s, 70s, and 80s thinks....

I mean, I still remember the Legacy Virus!
    Last edited by gambit2051; 08-08-2023 at 09:41 PM.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

It’s saying that Krakoa was bound to fail as the humans are what they are.

When your house is destroyed by a cyclone, you don’t blame the cyclone. Either you consider you shouldn’t have built a house here or that your house wasn’t strong enough to resist.

The humans are not that different from the mutants: afraid of the unknown, wary of strangers. It is a part of our instinct as a species that enables us to survive. Surely the mutants can understand them.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

THe council playing dumb is definitely at least one reason for Krakoas fall. Was it intentional or just bad writing?

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Fate? This is basically the story of the inhumans, but with the X-Men and their new politics.

This man speaks the truth
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, two or three separate temporal paradoxes were created to get here. Oh and future tech that hasn't been invented yet was used to build a fortress on the sun.....

that's an amazing amount of work! Just to kill each other.....
    You just described The Manhattan Project

No. It started with Magneto stirring up **** in X-Men volume 1 #1