Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default News! per Tom Breevoort's Substack

I love Tom's weekly substack, y'all! A treasure trove of trivia and deets on how the sausage is made. Figured I'd share some morsels w the forum, cause chances are you'll appreciate this stuff too! c:

Per the last newsletter (#73):

1) Dan Buckley, the publisher, out at Marvel?!

"...Dan oversees the entirety of Marvel’s publishing operations among many other things, and he’s truly excellent at his job....So August 1, 2023 was the day it all changed. We’re not ready yet to say anything more about what this is or what’s coming next, but it’s all pretty exciting."

2) Hickman\Schiti\Garcia's G.O.D.S; a status update

"...Jonathan Hickman and Valerio Schiti are presently done with three issues and Valerio is drawing the fourth—that’s before the first issue comes out, and also takes into account that the first issue is something like 70 pages long. "

3) Big Marvel Event (TM) coming in May!

"On another project-to-for-the-moment-remain-nameless, which is next year’s big Marvel Event series, our killer artist is already drawing the first issue, a comic book you won’t see until next May."

4) Long-simmering mystery Marvel project to launch soon-ish

"We’re about to announce a project that has been in the works for, no lie, seven years. It’s completely drawn, every one of its oversized issues. But none of the covers have been done yet, and the cover concepts that we worked out and sketched out years ago don’t feel right anymore, not for the marketplace we’re in now."

https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/71-sea-change

Can't wait for the next event .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And all the awesome variant covers!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I sense sarcasm
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

BANNED

Its not like any of the events really end up mattering in 5 years. Is anything from Secret Empire still relavent?

Maybe just maybe Marvel should focus on making stories that will sell for years to come in the trade market and not the short term thinking that pre-dominates the company.

Though I do think that May event mini is the one written by JMS.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Its not like any of the events really end up mattering in 5 years. Is anything from Secret Empire still relavent?

Maybe just maybe Marvel should focus on making stories that will sell for years to come in the trade market and not the short term thinking that pre-dominates the company.

Honestly... Marvel could have pulled out another volume of Uncanny Avengers after Secret Empire and HOXPOX. Could have been interesting with a Cap who needs to clear his name along with the mutants who feel alienated by Krakoa.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Honestly... Marvel could have pulled out another volume of Uncanny Avengers after Secret Empire and HOXPOX. Could have been interesting with a Cap who needs to clear his name along with the mutants who feel alienated by Krakoa.
    We went through 3 Cap relaunchs with a fourth next month since Secret Empire. I just relized that now

I love Toms newsletter! I’m really interested to see what this Dan Buckley related news is.

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post

Um...you know that's actually a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I love Tom's weekly substack, y'all! A treasure trove of trivia and deets on how the sausage is made. Figured I'd share some morsels w the forum, cause chances are you'll appreciate this stuff too! c:

Per the last newsletter (#73):

1) Dan Buckley, the publisher, out at Marvel?!

"...Dan oversees the entirety of Marvel’s publishing operations among many other things, and he’s truly excellent at his job....So August 1, 2023 was the day it all changed. We’re not ready yet to say anything more about what this is or what’s coming next, but it’s all pretty exciting."
    Might have something to do with the restructuring into Disney proper
    "This is me being reasonable"

Um...you know that's actually a good question.
    Maybe Black Widow's Red Room, since the three kids there who weren't already Champions (Wasp, Ironheart and Falcon) ended up joining the team during Zub's run. A team whose most recent appearance was just a few weeks ago in Fallen Friend.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Putting money on Brevoort taking over as EIC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Putting money on Brevoort taking over as EIC.
    That was my first thought as well. Here's the quote (from the post linked above):

"So I wound up having a meeting with Dan this week, one in which he told me he was going to ask me to do something that I wasn’t going to want to do, and then proceeded through a combination of need, flattery, genuine admiration, duty and responsibility to get me to agree to take on the specific mission that he was hoping to entice me into."

That might not turn out to be the editor-in-chief but you can see why we would think that, since he's their most senior editor and has always disclaimed interest in the top job.

Not sure how I'd feel about that to be honest.

Not sure how I'd feel about that to be honest.
    Yeah. I don’t think he’s being doing the best job with the franchises he oversees lately. McKay’s Avengers is the one exception, but how many years of terrible runs in and out of the flagship have we gotten before it?