Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Default Bring Down Smaug: Street Level edition

Sort of inspired by the old Cass Cain vs Orc army threads of eons passed, I kind of want to see what kind of street level team it would take to bring the last Tolkien dragon of note down.

So, rules:

-No one above Cassandra Cain (Post Crisis DC comics) level.
    -No reality warping allowed.
    -Maximum of seven team members.
    -Any source of fiction allowed.
    -They are given the same info Thorin and Gandalf had on Smaug.

Scenario:

They must sneak into the Lonely Mountain and assault the dragon in his own lair. Should he escape and completely destroy Lake Town, they scenario is lost.

So, who’s your team?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

1) Hawkeye
    2) Green Arrow
    3) Bullseye
    4) Yaoyoruzu Momo
    5) Animal Man
    6) Dr. Doolittle
    7) A local thrush from Lake Town

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    1) Hawkeye
    2) Green Arrow
    3) Bullseye
    4) Yaoyoruzu Momo
    5) Animal Man
    6) Dr. Doolittle
    7) A local thrush from Lake Town
    ....I'm liking this team, especially because of the various trick arrows the archers have.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'm going to shamelessly steal from grampagen and go with...

1) Hawkeye
    2) Green Arrow
    3) Bullseye
    4) Karnak
    5) New-52 Richard Dragon from his single, brief appearance
    6) Punisher

We have four marksmen (one of whom has access to anti-tank weapons that WILL put the hurt on Smaug, plus the trick arrows, plus Bullseye for the eyes) and two dudes with weakness detection (to spot the flaw in his armor enabling the marksmen to target it).

Put a fork in Smaug, he's done.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-07-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Any reason to think that the best modern anti-tank weapons won't go right through Smaugh or that things like 50 BMG Baretts with AP rounds won't take his eyes out? I recall the famous Buffy fight where some Middle Ages monster claimed no weapon forged by man could hurt him. Buffy said: That was then and this is now. Let him have it with an AT rocket and they had to pick up the pieces.

Not so sure about boxing glove arrows though.

Just for fun, gonna go a bit more esoteric/sideways. Also just a fun scenario because some of these folks make for bad rumbles in arena but work here

Nightcrawler (X2)
    Wolverine (comics)
    Alex Verus (Verus books)
    Chloe Lewis (Freaks 2018)
    Predator (Original Predator film)
    Domino (Deadpool 2)

Verus in his urban fantasy series is a precog kinda on the level of Nic Cage in his Next movie. He can narrow down possibilities and find pretty much the exact path to get what he needs done. This means he'll be not only navigating to get them the best surprise for the dragon, he'll be able to know exactly what angles tactically to approach the situation in a way only direct foreknowledge would allow. In series he's not invincible of course; gets beat by a combination of raw power, incredibly intricate one-sided planning by the villains, and exploitation of his personal weaknesses. Two of those things aren't going to come into play here and he's taken out his fair share of things way too strong for him to handle in a fair fight with his precog abilities and planning.

Chloe is a kid telepath who eventually manifests power great enough to mind control folks from miles away along with remote viewing while doing so but has no other abilities and would either get stomped by a blitz or by telepaths that can have feats for actually fighting telepaths because she's the only one in setting or stomp opponents. Kind of questionable whether she's street level but technically Cass would take her out in arena I think, so I'm putting her up :P In this scenario she'll basically be able to do what she does best, sequester away and work her stuff from afar. She'll be using her mind control to stymie if not just completely shut down Smaug's ability to respond of course

Predator brings invisibility, some firepower, but most importantly if worst comes to worst he has a mininuke that he can toss into Smaug's mouth, or be used by Nightcrawler to send into a spot Smaug won't like.

The main thrust of the attack though, is really Nightcrawler and Wolverine, where the plan is to use Verus' precision with precog combined with Nightcrawler to find the right spot to have Wolverine just dig in with claws for maximum effect and rip and tear. If need be he can teleport into Smaug for maximum effect if Verus can direct NC on the exact moment/spacing to not be Philadelphia experimented

Domino is here to just add the benefit of luck aura so things turn out right in their rolls in this D&D style adventure and moral support
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ....I'm liking this team, especially because of the various trick arrows the archers have.
    Don't forget my MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Not so sure about boxing glove arrows though.
    Bro Smaug would be pissed at getting clowned on like that.

Likely sufficiently enough to move off of his hoard so the others could make the mark on his weak spot if sufficiently informed.

Don't forget my MVP

Bro Smaug would be pissed at getting clowned on like that.

Likely sufficiently enough to move off of his hoard so the others could make the mark on his weak spot if sufficiently informed.
    Everyone is is more powerful but he's the main star who went up to Smaug in the air and said, "You so ugly you'd lose a beauty contest against Gollum" and the chase was on, the trush luring Smaug right into the arrows of the others.
    Power with Girl is better.

Live Action team go

1 John McClane

2 Dutch

3 John Rambo

4 Ripley

5 Burt Gummer

6 Ash Williams

7 El Mariachi

Somehow, just somehow they managed to pull it off. Either by skill or just dumb luck.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Don't forget my MVP

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Thrush/Animal Man/Doolittle part of this. My first thought was 'Woah, great idea!'

But on further reflection, I'm not sure the Thrush would have useful info about Smaug in this situation. The Thrush found out about the weak point because Bilbo found out about it, then told the dwarves while the Thrush was listening.

...granted, Powerboy has probably figured out the real reason you included the Thrush. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the Thrush/Animal Man/Doolittle part of this. My first thought was 'Woah, great idea!'

But on further reflection, I'm not sure the Thrush would have useful info about Smaug in this situation. The Thrush found out about the weak point because Bilbo found out about it, then told the dwarves while the Thrush was listening.

...granted, Powerboy has probably figured out the real reason you included the Thrush. ^_^
    Yes. He's the unsung hero.
    Power with Girl is better.

...wait, damn, have I been undone by the actual lore LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. He's the unsung hero.
    The bird is the word.

I take that back my team the Live Action team somehow manages to sneak into Smaug's lair and take him down before he escapes with 60% skill, and 90% dumb luck.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 08-11-2023 at 01:08 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Just for fun, gonna go a bit more esoteric/sideways. Also just a fun scenario because some of these folks make for bad rumbles in arena but work here

Nightcrawler (X2)
    Wolverine (comics)
    Alex Verus (Verus books)
    Chloe Lewis (Freaks 2018)
    Predator (Original Predator film)
    Domino (Deadpool 2)

Verus in his urban fantasy series is a precog kinda on the level of Nic Cage in his Next movie. He can narrow down possibilities and find pretty much the exact path to get what he needs done. This means he'll be not only navigating to get them the best surprise for the dragon, he'll be able to know exactly what angles tactically to approach the situation in a way only direct foreknowledge would allow. In series he's not invincible of course; gets beat by a combination of raw power, incredibly intricate one-sided planning by the villains, and exploitation of his personal weaknesses. Two of those things aren't going to come into play here and he's taken out his fair share of things way too strong for him to handle in a fair fight with his precog abilities and planning.

Chloe is a kid telepath who eventually manifests power great enough to mind control folks from miles away along with remote viewing while doing so but has no other abilities and would either get stomped by a blitz or by telepaths that can have feats for actually fighting telepaths because she's the only one in setting or stomp opponents. Kind of questionable whether she's street level but technically Cass would take her out in arena I think, so I'm putting her up :P In this scenario she'll basically be able to do what she does best, sequester away and work her stuff from afar. She'll be using her mind control to stymie if not just completely shut down Smaug's ability to respond of course

Predator brings invisibility, some firepower, but most importantly if worst comes to worst he has a mininuke that he can toss into Smaug's mouth, or be used by Nightcrawler to send into a spot Smaug won't like.

The main thrust of the attack though, is really Nightcrawler and Wolverine, where the plan is to use Verus' precision with precog combined with Nightcrawler to find the right spot to have Wolverine just dig in with claws for maximum effect and rip and tear. If need be he can teleport into Smaug for maximum effect if Verus can direct NC on the exact moment/spacing to not be Philadelphia experimented

Domino is here to just add the benefit of luck aura so things turn out right in their rolls in this D&D style adventure and moral support
    Love the inclusion of Verus! Especially end of series Verus would be ridiculously useful in this scenario...

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Love the inclusion of Verus! Especially end of series Verus would be ridiculously useful in this scenario...
    Oh I hear. I didn't finish the series (I stopped somewhere around Book 10 I believe) but I have heard he got significant power boosts in offense so that would help for sure. Even just earlier series Alex would be handy as hell though.

Come to think of it Luna would be a fun addition too since Domino is here
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie