Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, trying to create a division between "american" comics and manga requires you to understand that... Mickey Mouse falls into the category of "American comics". The reality is that peopel are looking at a specific genre of comics published int eh US and trying to compare that to every genre in Japan and... it's... comparing apples to random fruit.
    Exactly this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    You're right, manga is just the way the Japanese call comics after all. That's why I don't think it's a fair comparison.

But I read manga as a teenager and American super hero comics too and in the manga fandom I've never been questioned and for reading super hero comics I've been told I was doing it to please the boys. Lol. And those are things that ultimately drive you away.
    Understandable point.

Japanese comics certainly managed to escape the negative perception of being only a single type of genre which the american comics have been suffering from for decades now.

While there are also still negative stereotypes associated with the western readership of japanese comics too, the general perception seems to have largely shifted towards applying them towards a perceived fringe group of readers rather than universaly.

Meanwhile it seems public perception towards american comics is still that if they aren't for small children, they are all just super hero genre works and those in turn are only read by "nerdy" single men, who buy them from shops run by a version of the "comicbook guy" from The Simpsons.

To say nothing of the whole "those are not comics they are graphic novels" situation.

Inu-yasha is another. It was written by Rumiko Takahashi.

She also did Ranma 1/2 and a few others.
    She seems to be a class in her own right given that creating multiple successfull unrelated series of different genres over 40 years is a feat even rare for many successfull male creators.

Yeah, trying to create a division between "american" comics and manga requires you to understand that... Mickey Mouse falls into the category of "American comics". The reality is that peopel are looking at a specific genre of comics published int eh US and trying to compare that to every genre in Japan and... it's... comparing apples to random fruit.
    It should also be considered that there seems to be a constant cultural exchange between the east and west when it comes to the creation of comics and cartoons. Even if not always directly.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-13-2023 at 05:10 PM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Comics are also confusing to read with you having to jump from one book to another to get the whole story and most comic fans hate the stories they read and complain about how bad everything is and how it was once better.

And the 90's gimmick of buying issue 1's left a bad taste in people's mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Comics are also confusing to read with you having to jump from one book to another to get the whole story and most comic fans hate the stories they read and complain about how bad everything is and how it was once better.

And the 90's gimmick of buying issue 1's left a bad taste in people's mouths.
    yup dealing with this now with my amazing spider-man re-read now that I'm in the college era I gotta jump between Asm and PP Spectacular to get the full story and that still not enough. Cause Peter still reference stuff from Marvel Team up and I dont even bother to look for that. Plus those old issues dont even tell you when an annual is happening either
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    To say nothing of the whole "those are not comics they are graphic novels" situation.
    I hate the "graphic novel" title SO MUCH you have no idea.
    High level snobism.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    High level snobism.
    It has SOME level of accuracy, but.... the reality is that it's a subset of comic books. but even then it's only true for something not a collection of smaller works.

It has SOME level of accuracy, but.... the reality is that it's a subset of comic books. but even then it's only true for something not a collection of smaller works.
    Yep that's my point. Get down of your high horse, lady, what you're looking for is a comics and it's in the comics section. You won't die because you're reading a media you associate with children and uneducated people.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Wrong. Manga and Anime have historically been aimed at an adult market epecially in asia. The closest the US had to that would've been the first season or two of the Flintstones.

Manga and Anime like Rama 1/2 and Ah My Goddess were never aimed at those like you. They were and still are after an older, more adult readership.
    Ah yes, Doraemon, Pretty Cure and Hamtaro were clearly anime and manga made for adult audiences.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Ah yes, Doraemon, Pretty Cure and Hamtaro were clearly anime and manga made for adult audiences.
    what's your point? are you trying to extrapolate the target audience of Yu Yu Hakusho from the target audience of Hamtaro?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    What about shonen manga?

Still aimed at a more mature audience.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    So was Hello Kitty.

In a lot of ways these shows/series were X-Statix done right.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 08-16-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Fantastic Member

Manga has an extremely wide range of genres, and is aimed at a broad range of ages. There is manga aimed at kids, manga aimed at teens, and manga for adults/young adults. You've got Doraemon for kids, and you've got stuff like Master Keaton for adults (an older manga series about a guy who is a brilliant archeologist - most of the stories involve long discussions about European history or art). I don't think it's possible to make the argument that manga is either primarily "for kids" or "for adults," when there are so many different series aimed at different age groups. It's like trying to argue that American animation is either "for kids" or "for adults" when we've got both My Little Pony and Bojack Horseman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    High level snobism.
    No it's not. It's an accurate description of what they are,epecially the DragonLance ones.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

what's your point? are you trying to extrapolate the target audience of Yu Yu Hakusho from the target audience of Hamtaro?
    I mean do you think those two books were targeting the same audience?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    No it's not. It's an accurate description of what they are,epecially the DragonLance ones.
    I guess you're trolling at this point but.
    I checked those because I never heard of it.
    Now I need to read them. It looks so WEIRD.