Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have these heroes been shown to be around in the 31st century?

Lobo?

Plastic Man?

Captain Comet?

Martian Manhunter (pretty sure he has but confirmation would be cool)?

Captain Atom?

Robotman?

Etrigan?

Phantom Stranger?

Lobo showed up during the 5YL era (original continuity) in "The Quiet Darkness" (there's a chance he was a clone or something... I don't recall)

J'onn J'onzz showed up in the reboot era.

Don't know about the rest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Lobo showed up during the 5YL era (original continuity) in "The Quiet Darkness" (there's a chance he was a clone or something... I don't recall)

No, you're right. it wasn't really Lobo. He was a probe.

J'onn J'onzz definitely made a couple of appearances.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    J'onn J'onzz definitely made a couple of appearances.
    I know that Dave Cockrum included him and Tar Tarkas at Duo Damsel and Bouncing Boy's wedding, which was on Mars, in SUPERBOY 200. But they were never clearly identified as those individuals and could have just been random Martians. I also remember that the Martians and Durlans were purported to be one and the same at some point--probably during Five Years Later as that sounds like something they would do--and maybe that J'Onn was R. J. Brande (this is a vague memory, maybe I just dreamed it).

In any event, the Martian Manhunter was on Mars in ONE MILLION--so he did outlive the 30th century (I say 30th, because all these comics were published in the 20th century--do I shock you?!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Lobo?

Plastic Man?

Captain Comet?

Captain Atom?

Robotman?

Etrigan?

Phantom Stranger?
    Only Martian Manhunter has been showed to be alive in the 30th/31st century before. IN 5YL he appears in issue 50. And it was hinted to be JR Brande in the reboot continuity.
    Lobo was a red hearring.

In the new52 Captain Atom kind of was alive in the 31st century. Kinda. It was confusing.

The others, only in time travel adventures.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Pretty sure J'onn J'onzz actually showed up later in the run that this cover is from. She's not on your list but so did Amethyst.

Lobo?

Plastic Man?

Captain Comet?

Captain Atom?

Robotman?

Etrigan?

Phantom Stranger?
    As others have mentioned, os this list, minus the Lobo red hearring, I think JJ is the only one who has poped up in the 30th/31st century. He was present in SLSH #200, in Duo Dasmel and Bouncing Boy's wedding, illustrated by Dave Cockrum, and he showed up in the 5YL LSH book, also, after Giffen had left, where he had quite an active role for a few issues, around #50. I want to say that he also showed up in the Post ZH reboot Legion, but I can't quite put my finger on where.

Peace

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!

Astonishing Member

Lobo?

Plastic Man?

Captain Comet?

Captain Atom?

Robotman?

Etrigan?

Phantom Stranger?
    On a (slightly) related note, its interesting that the Pre-Crisis LOSH comics, by the very nature of their time-travel 'rules', implicitly suggested that Superman was dead by the 30th century.

Because back then, the 'rules', particularly when it came to Superman's time-travel, was that you cannot physically travel to a time-period where you already exist...if you do, you end up as a phantom unable to interact with anyone or influence events.

Ergo, the very fact that Superboy, and later Superman, could travel to the 30th century and physically exist there alongside the LOSH, suggested that his future self was dead by that point.

I dunno if DC ever made this explicit...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I know that Dave Cockrum included him and Tar Tarkas at Duo Damsel and Bouncing Boy's wedding, which was on Mars, in SUPERBOY 200. But they were never clearly identified as those individuals and could have just been random Martians. I also remember that the Martians and Durlans were purported to be one and the same at some point--probably during Five Years Later as that sounds like something they would do--and maybe that J'Onn was R. J. Brande (this is a vague memory, maybe I just dreamed it).

In any event, the Martian Manhunter was on Mars in ONE MILLION--so he did outlive the 30th century (I say 30th, because all these comics were published in the 20th century--do I shock you?!!).
    J'onn showed up in the 5YL Legion having a conversation with Nura Nal (Dream Girl).

Ultimate Member

There are a *ton* of immortal characters that *could* show up in the 31st century, that, for the most part, I hope never do. What cross-pollination has occurred between 21st century events and characters and the 31st century have been a nightmare for fans of the 31st century setting, since it inevitably becomes a victim of 21st century stories.

One minor example. The Legion setting had a Green Lantern Corps. Universo was kicked out of it. The GLs were *banned from Earth.* A decade or so later, his son Rond Vidar joined the GLC and was shown as an active Legionnaire for a hot second, but this was a story by Geoff Johns, who wanted Sodam Yot to be 'the last Green Lantern,' and so killed off the entire Green Lantern Corps, and even made it sound like they'd all been dead for YEARS, although he did keep Rond Vidar alive for like, three or four panels, before killing him, a character who'd been around for decades. And now, that pointless killing off of the Green Lanterns to pump up the boring forgotten loser that was Sodam Yot, has been made utterly irrelevant. Just more damage done by dragging 21st century characters and events into the 31st century setting *only for it to become irrelevant six months later,* just like the 'forever' death of Supergirl, or the 'Superman never adventured with the Legion as a teen' garbage-fires.

And so, while Phantom Stranger, Dr. Fate, Dr. Mist, Etrigan, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter, R'as al-Ghul, Vandal Savage, Trigon, Circe, Wonder Woman, Brainiac, Solomon Grundy, Red Tornado, Red Devil, Zauriel, etc., etc. *could* be seen in the 31st century, I'd rather they weren't. (Others are less clear. Raven's dad is an immortal, is she? Geo-Force and, IIRC, Terra have both died and been restored to life by the planet itself, could they be immortal, and various other 'elemental' sorts like Swamp Thing and Vixen?) One could easily assemble an entire team of heroes in the future from the 21st century who are still alive, even facing villains from the 21st century that are *also* still active, but, IMO, that's kinda just asking for trouble, since some chucklehead a year or two later is going to want to kill one of them off in the latest event, and decide that 'this time it's gonna be permanent' (because said chucklehead has apparently never read a comic book before, and doesn't know that it's *never* permanent) and that he's gotta destroy the entire 31st century continuity *again* because 'X person couldn't possibly still be alive.'

It was done once, with Darkseid, and done well. Returning to that dead horse and attempting to beat it back to life is just animal abuse.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-09-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I kinda disagree. I don't want every villain showing up in the future, but some could really shine and use their full potential in that setting. Someone like say Eclipso. He can never really cut loose and show his true powers in the modern day because he is just to powerful. If he was in the Legions time he could be used an Omega level threat ravaging whole planets. Reveal that he is the being the Dark Circle has been worshipping all this time and they are finally able to summon him in the flesh. A fallen wraith of god with his own army of religious zealots at his command? You could never do a story line like that in modern times DC. Its all in who they handle it.

I really enjoyed the way DnA used Ra's Al Ghul in their Legion run too.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    On a (slightly) related note, its interesting that the Pre-Crisis LOSH comics, by the very nature of their time-travel 'rules', implicitly suggested that Superman was dead by the 30th century.

Because back then, the 'rules', particularly when it came to Superman's time-travel, was that you cannot physically travel to a time-period where you already exist...if you do, you end up as a phantom unable to interact with anyone or influence events.

Ergo, the very fact that Superboy, and later Superman, could travel to the 30th century and physically exist there alongside the LOSH, suggested that his future self was dead by that point.

I dunno if DC ever made this explicit...
    I can think of four possibilities--

1. Superman is indeed dead.

2. The Man of Tomorrow knows when Superboy will pop up and makes sure to time travel away from there during that time.

3. The Boy of Steel pre-existing the Man of Steel gives him priority even when he time travels, so it's the adult not the adolescent who becomes a phantom--this hardly would be a problem unless Superman happened to be in the middle of something at the time.

4. The Legion must have known this could happen and had some way of avoiding it.

On the few occasions when both time-travelling Superman and Superboy met and didn't become phantoms, they were each hurled through time to their original point of origin. But this rarely happened. In the Grant Morrison timeline, the Caped Kryptonian is inside the Sun at this time--becoming either a phantom or being hurled through time would prove disastrous either way. Maybe some of these versions of Clark come from alternate realities.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can think of four possibilities--

1. Superman is indeed dead.

2. The Man of Tomorrow knows when Superboy will pop up and makes sure to time travel away from there during that time.

3. The Boy of Steel pre-existing the Man of Steel gives him priority even when he time travels, so it's the adult not the adolescent who becomes a phantom--this hardly would be a problem unless Superman happened to be in the middle of something at the time.

4. The Legion must have known this could happen and had some way of avoiding it.

On the few occasions when both time-travelling Superman and Superboy met and didn't become phantoms, they were each hurled through time to their original point of origin. But this rarely happened. In the Grant Morrison timeline, the Caped Kryptonian is inside the Sun at this time--becoming either a phantom or being hurled through time would prove disastrous either way. Maybe some of these versions of Clark come from alternate realities.
    Still to this day this is my favorite ending for Superman. A very very old Clark walking the streets of 31st century Metropolis looking up seeing the Legion flying over head knowing his legacy and spirt will live on as he lives out his final years in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Pretty sure J'onn J'onzz actually showed up later in the run that this cover is from. She's not on your list but so did Amethyst.
    J'onn and Amethyst 2 for 1 from volume 4 of LSH in the mid40s issues (featuring early Stuart Immonen art!)

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.