Extraordinary Member

Default Best “Superman Investigations/Mysteries” in all media?

Just thought it might be fun to ask you guys what were the best stories of Superman you guys have seen that involve him or Lois having to do some “gumshoe” type investigating. I got mine, but you go first.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm kinda bad at understanding that beyond the idea of intrigue as the primary focus. The most genre heavy example I can think of is probably the Lois Lane two parter from 1986. You get a strong vibe with Under a Yellow Sun , mixed genre stuff with Action Comics #792 and Adventures#576, and a novel approach with Adventures #612-616, 619-620. The Intergang saga with Clark vowing not to use his powers stands out for me, along with well... half of the entire 40s I guess.

Regret not sticking around with Rucka on Lois
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm kinda bad at understanding that beyond the idea of intrigue as the primary focus. The most genre heavy example I can think of is probably the Lois Lane two parter from 1986. You get a strong vibe with Under a Yellow Sun , mixed genre stuff with Action Comics #792 and Adventures#576, and a novel approach with Adventures #612-616, 619-620. The Intergang saga with Clark vowing not to use his powers stands out for me, along with well... half of the entire 40s I guess.

Regret not sticking around with Rucka on Lois
    I didn't care for Rucka Lois Lane mini series, I thought it was boring, Question took up too much oxygen, the mystery made no sense and the magical assassin was stupid.

In terms of stories I liked, the Late Mr. Kent from Superman TAS was good. The YA Lois Lane novels dealt with Lois investigating a massive web of corruption which involves gangsters, shady business men, mad scientists, clones, super soldiers, a human hive mind, etc. That story covers 3 novels, so it's a long mystery.

"The Late Mr. Kent" is a wonderful story that could have been a George Reeves-starring adventure. Speaking of which, the first two seasons of AoS contain quite a bit of investigative reporting on the part of Lois and Clark, as well as Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    "The Late Mr. Kent" is a wonderful story that could have been a George Reeves-starring adventure. Speaking of which, the first two seasons of AoS contain quite a bit of investigative reporting on the part of Lois and Clark, as well as Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
    Oh yeah, they had that story where Kal-el investigated in order to figure out that some of the people in Metropolis were really Kryptonians. It used stuff like materials that shouldn't exist on Earth as clues and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I didn't care for Rucka Lois Lane mini series, I thought it was boring, Question took up too much oxygen, the mystery made no sense and the magical assassin was stupid.

In terms of stories I liked, the Late Mr. Kent from Superman TAS was good. The YA Lois Lane novels dealt with Lois investigating a massive web of corruption which involves gangsters, shady business men, mad scientists, clones, super soldiers, a human hive mind, etc. That story covers 3 novels, so it's a long mystery.
    Ah. I think Lois and Jimmy, I left off with issue 2. For Jimmy it was wild enough to remember. Rucka's stuff can seem to tread water but usually grows on me

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Siegel and Shuster. There's a story from the Superman Sundays involving Clark stopping a rigged election in Mexico, art by Wayne Boring.

Oh the one in Tierra Rosa, right?

One that always stuck with me from the Golden age was Action Comics #31. The story is death ray territory but gives a pretty classic slice of the Lois and Clark dynamic

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Joe Kelly did a murder mystery in AC #809. Can't say I remember all the details but it's Joe Kelly after all.

Synopsis:
    "Who killed Jack Ryder? While on vacation with Lois, Clark becomes the prime suspect in a murder mystery. Since he was in action as Superman, he's the only one without an alibi!"

41ddvEZvdRL.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The Superman radio show also had frequent mysteries and investigations, as such fare was easier to bring to life in radio than the action focused on in visual media.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Oh the one in Tierra Rosa, right?

One that always stuck with me from the Golden age was Action Comics #31. The story is death ray territory but gives a pretty classic slice of the Lois and Clark dynamic
    Probably. I haven't read it in a while. I plan to read the comic strips in order beginning with the Sundays and Dailies starting in 1939.

Lol it's my nature to binge them like comic stories, I really enjoy it, but it probably would be the same speed as reading one strip every day for how infrequently I get around to reading.

Still waiting for the TS to tell us their picks too!

Boisterously Confused

"The Late Mr. Kent" is a wonderful story...
    That's what instantly came to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's what instantly came to my mind.
    Yeah! Gotta agree with the majority. Truly a Classic (IMHO):

The Superman radio show also had frequent mysteries and investigations, as such fare was easier to bring to life in radio than the action focused on in visual media.
    Batman has the amazing The Audio Adventures right now - bet a Superman: The Audio Adventures would give us something meaty if WB would just give us that already.