Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Soooooo I'm the only one utterly confused at Bishop and Cable casually walking around as if Orchis isn't actively trying to hunt the X-Men down and kick them off the planet? Didn't Orchis say if they stayed or came back they'd start killing humans? What am I missing here?

Aside from that, this issue was stellar!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

I'm inclined to agree about the minor quibble: The boys are lean. Needs more meat. Just my preference for these boys. I like 'em yolked AF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Same, man. Same...

^^ I'm the opposite. While history/their original concepts were them being big meaty men, my preference has always been towards lean machines. (Context - I think Luke Cage is often drawn "too big").

Good start to the series though. Here's hoping it maintains this level through out.

(Also nice to see a decent Bishop story...)

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I love this team already! Add Penance/Monet, Sunspot, and Thunderbird(loved him with Cable under Ewing), and we are off to the races! Also, just very happy for you Jackraow21. I could tell you would be enjoying this book as I read it.
    Thanks, bud. I appreciate it.

This was great writing. Operating on multiple levels. Very impressed, hope it continues on this trajectory for the rest of the run. Bishop and Cable deserved this. The Children (whom I've never been impressed with...) have never been better, and are perfect foils for Bish/Nate, though I hope they get a little more development at the series progresses. For a first issue setting up a lot, this book was well executed.
    Couldn't agree more. "Impressed" is a great way to describe how I felt as I read this. I had heard it was good, but it hit for me on almost every level. Great set up, great characterization, great action, great villains, visually interesting, etc.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Marvel writers continue to be ignorant about Latin America, LOL. The Chile thing was absurd and Rocinha is not even the poorest favela in Brazil, much less the world. I wish Camp and his editors could have done better research when tackling regions they know nothing about.

Other than that, I did really like the issue. The characters were on point and there is a very real sense of stakes.
    The art was also very good, even if I thought the costume designs were very generic. But the rest worked.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bozack View Post
    Soooooo I'm the only one utterly confused at Bishop and Cable casually walking around as if Orchis isn't actively trying to hunt the X-Men down and kick them off the planet? Didn't Orchis say if they stayed or came back they'd start killing humans? What am I missing here?

Imagine taking Orchis seriously.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

**Hope Marvel uses this opportunity to resolve the animosity between Bishop and Cable re. Messiah Complex/War.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bozack View Post

This is what I was very subtly implying with my comment about FoX baggage. I have found enough inconsistencies with the way these elements are described across all of the FoX books so far. None of them give me the impression they are actually important enough to any individual story or the greater story to really get bothered by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Marvel writers continue to be ignorant about Latin America, LOL. The Chile thing was absurd and Rocinha is not even the poorest favela in Brazil, much less the world. I wish Camp and his editors could have done better research when tackling regions they know nothing about.

Other than that, I did really like the issue. The characters were on point and there is a very real sense of stakes.
    The art was also very good, even if I thought the costume designs were very generic. But the rest worked.
    It is bad enough that stories get things wrong about places much closer to 'home' or even the characters they own, but they should be more careful with how other regions are portrayed. That particular portrayal was not crucial to building that scene. I never trust writers to know where the line is so I put the blame on the editor in cases like this.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    **Hope Marvel uses this opportunity to resolve the animosity between Bishop and Cable re. Messiah Complex/War.
    Pretty sure they dropped that when they had those two X-Force books after AvX and they had that cross-over with Stryfe.
    "Cable was right!"

So here's my attempt at a "no prize" (anyone else remember those?)... in the fictional Marvel Universe, the proximity to the Savage Land has created some climate change in South America particularly in the south of Chile and Argentina. As such, there are massive sugar plantations run by nefarious groups who also smuggle precious natural resources to/from the Savage Land itself; and they also do mercenary work for the multinationals engaged in lithium mining in the country, which is indeed actually a real thing there.

In Chile's desert lie vast reserves of lithium — key for electric car batteries
    https://www.npr.org/2022/09/24/11235...atacama-desert

South America’s ‘lithium fields’ reveal the dark side of our electric future
    https://energynewsbeat.co/south-amer...ectric-future/

In fact, I'm pretty sure these images of the lithium fields in the Salar de Atacama salt flats in Chile are what the artist used to draw those pages...

But with regards to the sugar plantations and the slavers... yeah, I'll just go with perhaps my "no prize" answer above and say that maybe this is unique to the fictional Marvel U.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 08-10-2023 at 06:35 AM.

Well, everybody tends to present summarized stereotypes when talking about cultures and countries they don't know well.
    So I'm used to that on American comics.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This is what I was very subtly implying with my comment about FoX baggage. I have found enough inconsistencies with the way these elements are described across all of the FoX books so far. None of them give me the impression they are actually important enough to any individual story or the greater story to really get bothered by.
    There's a lot of plot holes on FoX proposal that even X-Men 25 contradicts Hellfire Gala. And both were written by Duggan.

So I think we can forgive Camp for ignore it and focus on his well written story.

Interview with Deniz Camp about the series.

CBR: Deniz Camp Unleashes the Children of the Vault
    https://www.cbr.com/children-of-the-...amp-interview/

I really like what he has to say, especially this...

My man! Can't wait for issue #2.

But that's why it works... in the best, 90s kind of way.

My brotha in Christ, ...you get props for that deep cut gif from Predator! Yeah if we get more of that vibe and away from weepy, overwrought emotion writing this book will be gold!

I really don't want want to focus on just the opening pages and the scenes in South America, but some of the other posters are right, American writers and editors just continue to show ignorance about the whole region, even when a writer wants to highlight something about a specific place (as I said before he got the Lithium mine part right). To the poster that put the pictures there, I have actually been to one of those fields, they are huge, you actually have to drive vehicles around them. They are also surrounded by a lot of equipment, so the idea that a lonely kid would just enter one and that they would be that small is laughable too. It also obvious at this point that writers in American comics are convinced there are no cities in South America, just desserts, slums or jungles, and of course, sugar plantations in the southern countries now. For those to exist you would need a Marvel Earth with completely different climate regions as the real world, it would be like having tropical weather in freaking Seattle to give you some perspective. This is like that recent what if of Thor where a non-black writer tried to write "authentic" African American culture and characters and ended up just writing stereotypical tripe, it's the same situation here. And sorry, the sugar plantations bit is not only ignorant respecting the particular history of Chile (one of the reason that no african slaves ended up in Chile unlike other countries in the region), but also the climate of the region and how sugar is produced there. It just comes off as incredibly ignorant in all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    My brotha in Christ, ...you get props for that deep cut gif from Predator! Yeah if we get more of that vibe and away from weepy, overwrought emotion writing this book will be gold!
    It felt right. Ha. This book reads like a great action flick to me, and the OG Predator is one of the best. Plus that gif where Carl Weathers and Arnold lock arms is just so good... my hope is that Bishop and Cable emerge from this series with that kind of camaraderie, having put the past... er, the alternate future (whatever)... firmly behind them.

It felt right. Ha. This book reads like a great action flick to me, and the OG Predator is one of the best. Plus that gif where Carl Weathers and Arnold lock arms is just so good... my hope is that Bishop and Cable emerge from this series with that kind of camaraderie, having put the past... er, the alternate future (whatever)... firmly behind them.
    Agreed, I'd love to see them reach the point where they're willingly open to working with one another from here forward. Now we count down the days for issue #2!

Deniz Camp will be featured in an upcoming X-Men Monday and the call for questions has gone out!

X-Men Monday Call for Questions: Deniz Camp for ‘Children of the Vault’
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/10/x-...hildren-vault/

Accepting Questions About: Children of the Vault

Deadline: Saturday, August 12 @ 5 PM EST
    Last edited by JB; 08-10-2023 at 08:10 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

I do not need the actual Cable vs Bishop story to keep getting brought up but I also like when characters just do not get along for whatever reason. It makes the occasional team-up interesting.